IGNORED

Help with ATMEGA32 DIP 40 package for SIO2SD

flashjazzcat

I wondered if anyone could help me with a 40 pin ATMEGA32 for an SIO2SD (http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/Hardware_en). I used to build these things years ago but can't seem to get PonyProg up and running with my ancient parallel AVR cable and for a one-off job (using the last SIO2SD board in the pile for a project) I don't fancy investing in a bunch of stuff I'll never use again.

To summarise, I programmed an ATMEGA32 with the latest SIO2SD firmware using my crappy EasyPro 90B USB programmer and it appears to work but won't recognize the SD card (the firmware says "Card not present"). After testing voltage on the SD card connector, I decided to swap the ATMEL chip from my last working SIO2SD and the SD card is detected with that chip. So I'm stealing the IC from my own device to use in this project just to get it finished, but that will leave me with a non-functioning SIO2SD. I tried the reverse: putting the newly programmed chip in my own known-working device and I get the no card error there too.

Tried setting up PonyProg 2000, thinking this may be a fuse bits issue, but it's no go and I'm losing patience with it. Oddly, the pre-programmed ATMEL which detects the SD card isn't recognized by the EasyPro programmer, while the problem chip is recognized, can be programmed, but won't see the SD card.

So - a) any clues as to what the issue could be, and/or b) does anyone have a pre-programmed DIP 40 ATMEGA32 package they're prepared to sell, swap, or donate so I can ressurect my own SIO2SD (I don't want to replace the whole device since it's one of my XM301 conversions and I'm quite happy with it)?

Hi Jon,

I'd guess the fuse bits - maybe its running off the internal oscillator rather than the external crystal, and that's messing up the SPI timing for the SD card?

I can possibly try programming a chip for you - I've got a home built SIO2SD so I went through this process a couple of years ago. Not sure I can still remember the details though, must be getting old! ;)

Robin

• Like 2

Update: fixed, thanks to the responses here. :)

Turns out the EasyPro software does have a means of configuring the fuse bits which I'd completely missed. They're not hex values but check boxes for individual features, so I translated the hex values and programmed the chip. Wouldn't boot... then I realised functions are set with logic 0. Reversed everything and it works perfectly. :)

• Like 7

Hi Jon, I remember sending you a message about very much the same topic a long while back.... I have two dead sio2sd's because the fuse bits were set incorrectly by the makers and they weren't helpful at all in resolving the issue.... at the time you weren't sure where your pony prog parallel cable was. If I read correctly you found it but were not successful in using it. You are using an EasyPro instead....

My question, can you post how to wire up the parallel cable... or conversely could I get it from you?

Question for the community,.... what would the cheapest programmer be to get the job done if all that fails....I have a willem that doesn't have the adapter to do them and the software is chinese riddled with stuff that makes all the antivirus crap go crazy.... wish there was an Atari 8 bit programmer that could do this crap.... would be so much more gratifying!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...