IGNORED

130XE ECI2PBI Adapter Pre-order Offer

Dropcheck

Annoucing a super ECI2PBI Dual RA Cartridge Adapter pre-order offering. Mockup pictures will be very close to actual boards made.

eci2pbi.jpg

eci2pbi2.JPG

This adapter is the first step in the development of the 1090XLR Expansion Box. It also will serve as a simple ECI2PBI adapter for a 130XE Computer to connect to standard 600/800XL PBI devices. The second feature that it provides is a dual RA cartridge switcher.

The adapter directly maps the compatible signals output by the 130XE ECI/Cartridge port to the XL PBI standard pin out. So all the address and data signals are mapped. The following signals are also common between the two pin outs: EXSEL, Reset, MPD, Audio In, Refresh, IQR, PHI2, and R/W. I have also maintained the GND and +5V signal pin outs on the PBI.

Where the signals diverge the layout of the XL PBI is kept with a few exceptions. A four position dip switch is installed to selectively map non-common signals to the PBI connector. Three of those non-common signals are HALT, D1XX and RD5. They are mapped to three of the reserved pins, 33, 37 and 39 respectively. A fourth signal requires a jumper from Freddie pin 4 to the reserved pin A on the 130XE ECI connector. Once this internal mod is done, the CASinh is selectively mapped through the dip switch to pin 38 (EXTNB) of the PBI. The CASinh and EXTNB signals appear to be the same signal just from different locations depending on the Atari model.

This adapter does not handle any other signals not already present on the 130XE ECI/Cartridge bus. Since CAS and RAS are not present on the 130XE ECI, those signals are missing from the PBI side as well. Not a big thing, since the only known use of these signals is the 1064XL 600XL ram module. A resistor tied to RAS/CAS and +5v should prevent computer hang if some unknown PBI device is expecting a low on those pins.

The metal bracket commonly found on the back of the 800XL computer to retain a card edge connector will fit the PBI connection. 3D print enclosure files will be available at time of shipping.

'Gold'(ENIG) finish 90 mm x 100 mm finished pcb = $35.00 + shipping Limit of 2 per order.

As with my previous offerings ordering will be done on my website. Not through this thread. At this time European assembly will be handled by tf_hh again so the shipping will be more reasonable for those on the other side of the pond. A flat $8.00 shipping cost remains the same for up to two boards.

I plan to do an minimum initial run of 10, with the option depending on the demand for multiples of 10. As with previous pre-order offerings, if the minimum order # is not meet, then all monies will be refunded.

Right now the pcb board house I use just started their two week Chinese New Year celebration. I can order pcbs, but there will be a delay of up to three weeks before they will ship to me. That means that parts ordering and assembly should take at least three to four weeks. Shipment to you should take place by Feb 20th with any luck.

As per previous offers ABBUC members will recieve a 10% discount. You must note your membership # on the order before submitting.

Order window will be open in the next few hours.

• Like 4

Will the PCB have standoffs or rubber feet to keep the board level and support it while inserting cartridges? It might require four or more..

very interested in buying, mark me for 2... ah but must be thru the sight not the thread.... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

If buy one of the expansion boxes in the future, will an ICD ECI to PBI adapter work just as well? Or should I scoop up one of these now in addition to my ICD one?

I don't know if the ICD adapter has the same wiring. I doubt it. You should be able to trace the pin out of the ECI side to the PBI side for pins 33, 37 and 39. I know that the CASinh signal is not going to be routed the same since you have to make a jumper connection inside the 130XE to pin A on the ECI and then that signal is routed to EXTNB on the PBI side.

You mention this as a step to the 1090XLR. Do you have an idea yet, as to the apx. dimensions of the 1090 pcb? And as I read this, the 1090 XLR would actually be designed to plug directly onto the XL PBI -- is that correct?

Pursuing that a little further, what types of devices do you envision attaching to the 1090? Anything that currently exists, or would be all new items?

-Larry

You mention this as a step to the 1090XLR. Do you have an idea yet, as to the apx. dimensions of the 1090 pcb? And as I read this, the 1090 XLR would actually be designed to plug directly onto the XL PBI -- is that correct?

Pursuing that a little further, what types of devices do you envision attaching to the 1090? Anything that currently exists, or would be all new items?

-Larry

Hi Larry,

Those are good questions..... but off-topic :)

There will be time and a thread that will go into those questions and hopefully answer those questions and more. :) But basically I will be using a 50 pin edge card ribbon connector on the 1090XLR Expansion Box so it should directly physically connect to a 600XL/800XL. The 130XE needs the adapter.

This thread is about an adapter that will provide not only a standard physical method to connect the 130XE to almost all existing PBI devices, but also provide for application of new signals from the 130XE thru this adapter to connect to the proposed 1090XLR Expansion Box. As an added benefit there is a switchable cartridge feature.

Those are the three primary benefits of this adapter. There are other ECI2PBI adapters floating around with various signal pin outs. I cannot determine whether they are good, bad or indifferent because I do not have any of them, and/or don't have their pin outs. The only thing I can say is that they probably will not work with the proposed 1090XLR Expansion Box without some modification to either the adapter and/or the 130XE bus connector. :(

Order window is open now.

Edited by Dropcheck

You wrote "The second feature that it provides is a dual RA cartridge switcher."

Yes. This feature allows you to switch between one of two cartridges inserted, then reboot the computer. It is a simple convenience feature if you mainly use only two cartridges. You don't have to keep plugging and unplugging the cartridges.

Yes. This feature allows you to switch between one of two cartridges inserted, then reboot the computer. It is a simple convenience feature if you mainly use only two cartridges. You don't have to keep plugging and unplugging the cartridges.

I understand. My proposal was to add two ECI ports and let it switch not only between two cartridges, but at the same time between two ECI ports.

For example you could plug the KMK IDE2 in one slot and still have the PBI slot free and the second switchable cartridge (and ECI) slot.

I understand. My proposal was to add two ECI ports and let it switch not only between two cartridges, but at the same time between two ECI ports.

For example you could plug the KMK IDE2 in one slot and still have the PBI slot free and the second switchable cartridge (and ECI) slot.

Now you are talking about allowing multiple ECI/PBI devices connecting to the 130XE. This adapter allows you to connect the 130XE to an expansion box that allows multiple devices to be housed and accessed in one common container.

I suppose your proposal could be done, but it would take quite a bit of space and lead to jury-rigged spaghetti connections. :(

Edited by Dropcheck

I still think it would nice to have a switch between two pairs of CART+ ECI slots, even if the PBI connector at the end would allow to plug in multiple PBI devices (1090).

For example CTIRAD offered as an option the ECI extension on his RAM extension:

post-21370-0-03228100-1418938262.jpg

Well, not really. He offered a pass-thru from his 'PBI' device so that another 'PBI' device in the ECI format or a cartridge could be connected at the same time. Otherwise his device would have been the only thing accessible on the ECI/Cartridge port of the 130XE it was connected to. :(

My adapter's primary purpose is to provide conversion from the 130XE ECI/Cartridge port to a 'PBI' standard connector with additional signals available on it for the 1090XLR project. In the meantime this version can also be used for a standard 'PBI' bus converter and it has the option of switching between two cartridges. If I put a pass-thru ECI/Cartridge port on the adapter, it continues the split between the XL/XE buses and kills the whole reason to do a 1090XLR. That being a common physical enclosure with a common internal bus for all external ECI/PBI devices. :(

These will also be available when the 1090 goes on sale?

Not with these features. That version will only provide a physical bus conversion for the 1090XLR. with a single cartridge slot. That's why this version is a better value at least as far as the adapter itself is concerned. :)

as is the case with all banking schemes....software must interact with it

the point is many would like to put the rtime8 in one slot and another cart in the other slot..... that reduces the tower of tipsy power height....

the rtime8 isn't actually a cart per se' but a device with pass thru. it can reside anywhere within a stack... but I always kept it first.... more stable and accurate that way....

the cool thing would be a three way switch

pos 1 cart A

pos 2 cart B

pos 3 A and B (original dual ICD adapter mode)

that isn't putting the oss icd banking logic on the board however... that's a completely different animal.... that would be an awesome toy though...

Edited by _The Doctor__

the timing for projects might be a little off as this winter is a bear...... I was in purchasing and was pulling the trigger and....

blammo....

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261483-please-help-cpuwiz-with-medical-bills/

hang in there man hang in there!

https://www.gofundme.com/cpuwiz

It might not look like it from the outside but even while standing still we fight! It's the will that wins it!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1