IGNORED

130XE ECI2PBI Adapter Pre-order Offer

Dropcheck

Starting to think that the 130xe is wonky; the ICD adapter is also giving me no joy in accessing the MIO. As I recall, I have only used it with an 800xl in the past, so this is beginning to look like a copter, not adapter board, problem.

Possibly, but it's weird that the one ECI2PBI adapter will work. The ICD won't and my adapter won't.

Still trying to 'trace' the traces from the pics of the adapter that is working to see if there's a connection I don't have on mine. :)

Will this be offered later in your store? Also, your SSL certificate seems to be expired.

I'll be offering a few of version 2 once I've replaced those who send their's back to me. About three weeks to a month.

Yep the free SSL certificate expired. Only one year. I've replaced it, but it seems that some browsers are still having a problem with 'www.bitsofthepast.com' I'm still working on it. :woozy:

Once you are ready to purchase, I toss you to paypal's secure paysite, so as far as payment is concerned it's safe.

Got some sleep and half my brain back. A thought occurred. :)

Set CASinh dip switch down. Select Slot 1. SDX 4.46 cartridge in Slot 1. Slot 2 empty. That should approximate a normal 800XL with a PBI, sans the signals for Ready, CAS and RAS.

Slot 2 is somewhat crippled until the fix is done. :(

Hi Dropcheck and David_P,

I went ahead and setup a 130XE here, and used the ECI2PBI with your recommendation (although I used the SIDE2 in my case, with SDX 4.46), and it is working fine here.

Is there anything in particular I should try doing to test further?

Note: The first time I did it, an error popped up (Missing DEVCUR, I believe it said) at the end of the boot to DOS. I only pressed RESET and was able to return to a DOS prompt at that point. Reboots and complete power downs have not recreated the strange error, though.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Yep the free SSL certificate expired. Only one year. I've replaced it, but it seems that some browsers are still having a problem with 'www.bitsofthepast.com' I'm still working on it. :woozy:

Once you are ready to purchase, I toss you to paypal's secure paysite, so as far as payment is concerned it's safe.

Cpanel now has the built-in capability to issue its own SSL certs that refresh every 45 days or so (I think), and has been a boon to several of the clients I host.

Of course, you need to have CPanel on your hosting space to enjoy it. ;)

--Tim

Updated:

I've developed a third option for the schematic error in the ECI2PBI adapter for those willing and able. You need to be able to solder and have three reasonable length jumper wires (three strands from a ribbon cable). I've tested it and it does fix the problem with Slot 2.

Excellent - thanks for posting the fix.

Cpanel now has the built-in capability to issue its own SSL certs that refresh every 45 days or so (I think), and has been a boon to several of the clients I host.

Of course, you need to have CPanel on your hosting space to enjoy it. ;)

--Tim

I've renewed with StartSSL.com and gotten my cert. Seems there's something in the form of the domain name that I used. I can enter it into CPanel's SSL section, but Firefox and Chrome are still complaining it's not secure. For either https://www.bitsofthepast.comor https://bitsofthepast.com.

Oh well..... I fight with it some more tomorrow. :)

Hi Dropcheck and David_P,

I went ahead and setup a 130XE here, and used the ECI2PBI with your recommendation (although I used the SIDE2 in my case, with SDX 4.46), and it is working fine here.

Is there anything in particular I should try doing to test further?

Note: The first time I did it, an error popped up (Missing DEVCUR, I believe it said) at the end of the boot to DOS. I only pressed RESET and was able to return to a DOS prompt at that point. Reboots and complete power downs have not recreated the strange error, though.

Hope this helps,

Tim

So you were able to access your MIO w/o problem? That's great.

So you were able to access your MIO w/o problem? That's great.

Yup, thank you!

MIO menu came up fine, writing and reading to the RAMdisks was just fine. There was only that weird "Missing DEVCUR" thing that hung the DOS prompt at the end of the AUTOEXEC batch, but RESET seemed to correct it and I wasn't able to replicate the error afterwards.

The caveat here is that I only used the SIDE2 cart for the test. I should probably make sure that the AtariMAX carts and OSS/ICD carts work, of course. But the MIO really was my primary desire with your adapter. Well, that AND being able to use a cartridge at the same time. ;)

Thanks, Dropcheck!

--Tim

Yup, thank you!

MIO menu came up fine, writing and reading to the RAMdisks was just fine. There was only that weird "Missing DEVCUR" thing that hung the DOS prompt at the end of the AUTOEXEC batch, but RESET seemed to correct it and I wasn't able to replicate the error afterwards.

The caveat here is that I only used the SIDE2 cart for the test. I should probably make sure that the AtariMAX carts and OSS/ICD carts work, of course. But the MIO really was my primary desire with your adapter. Well, that AND being able to use a cartridge at the same time. ;)

Thanks, Dropcheck!

--Tim

Great!

Give a hand to tf_hh(Jurgen) too. He's about three fourths of the project. I added the ECI2PBI, but the dual cart switching was all his. :)

By the way..... he wasn't too happy with my fix..... I think he called it Frankensteinish. :-D

His way is better if you are starting with a bare board. It's definitely possible better than mine on a populated board. I'm writing it up today and should be able to post it later.

Please anyone who still wants a replacement, contact me so I know how many parts I need to order. :)

• Like 2

Looking at those photos, it seems like the ECI, Cart, and PBI pins are gold plated. Is that just an illusion from the flash?

No, not an illusion. Lenore choose ENIG finish (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold) like I also use for Sys-Check and other projects. This guaranteed a long life and no problems after some years of operation and some dozens of pull-off / plug-in acts.

• Like 2

David_P it is possible your keyboard or gtia/pokey have gone flakey.... this can be damaged thru the eci cartridge port if shorted miss-wired or static discharge occurs(zap)...

sometimes the 130XE cart port lifts from the board bends and breaks or stresses...... this normally happens if a device is inserted without a beveled edge.... you must be very careful inserting adapters, devices or even some cartridges....

also some adapters have thin traces, and/or have capacitive effects on the bus which can be handled by proper design practices.

The keyboard on the 130XE's have been known to fail over time as well... with nothing attached to your 130XE (including drives) hold the option button down while turning on the 130 and when the self test appears press select to get to keyboard....

If the ready prompt appears type bye and then perform the selections and tests...

when the keyboard appears on the screen hold down start select and option at the same time... all three should invert on the screen if they do not... you need to check the keyboard in another KNOWN GOOD 130XE..... if it works.... then you have to go back to the problem 130 and see if it is the gtia pia pokey support chips or cartridge port.

lastly electrical zero residue cleaner is your friend on card connectors and card edges...

lastly try the mio on a known good XE.... mio could be borked from static or miss-wired devices/connectors...

you can PM me if you need further help

Edited by _The Doctor__