IGNORED

CoCoFlash

RangerG

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On January 3, 2020 at 12:22 AM, eightbit said:

I am not sure how relevant this device is nowadays. The CoCo SDC is what I have...and from my experience it is pretty much all I would ever need to launch anything on the CoCo with ease. Unless I am missing something special with this device? 

Can be used to boot drivewire 

Just now, eightbit said:

The CoCoSDC's HDB-DOS contains DriveWire support

Yes. But the cocoflash is easier for a novice user who just has a coco and a DW cable.  

I setup a cocoflash with a custom menu and 88 rom pak games for use on my coco2. It's super easy for any non coco person to use 

But you are right about the SDC. 

This is my setup. 

21 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Very nice. Makes sense now. You have a really nice CoCo setup going on there!

Thanks. I have had alot of it since I was a highschool kid in the late 80s.       I do agree that the SDC is really the only device anyone needs. I just find that it can be tricky for non coco people to use. (even with SDCX explorer) especially if you have multiple. Dsk's and need to mount the second one as  drive 1

Edited by rietveld

I agree. I have only the CoCo 3 and a CoCoSDC. I have no issues running some stuff. But currently I do not know how to run multi disk games (like "The Contras") and have no idea how to launch the Kings Quest games using it....as it appears I am brought to a NitrOS Sierra command prompt when I try. Still trying to fully learn it...but for the most part the CoCoSDC and the explorer has made life with the CoCo (for me at least) much easier. I don't know it like I do a C64 for example.

That said, any help/advice is certainly appreciated!

9 hours ago, eightbit said:

I agree. I have only the CoCo 3 and a CoCoSDC. I have no issues running some stuff. But currently I do not know how to run multi disk games (like "The Contras") and have no idea how to launch the Kings Quest games using it....as it appears I am brought to a NitrOS Sierra command prompt when I try. Still trying to fully learn it...but for the most part the CoCoSDC and the explorer has made life with the CoCo (for me at least) much easier. I don't know it like I do a C64 for example.

That said, any help/advice is certainly appreciated!

Make sure multi disk games such as Contras are in the same directory. When the game prompts you to insert the next disk just press the small black button on the top of the SDC. This will swap the disk just the same as if you had a real drive and floppies 

For the Sierra games 

At the nitr0S9 prompt type

SIERRA <ENTER>

This will start the game.   And same as above if it's a multi disk game 

I am new to the c64(just picked 1 up with the SD card reader). I may need your help with that

Edited by rietveld
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:09 AM, rietveld said:

<< BIG SNIP >>

I am new to the c64(just picked 1 up with the SD card reader). I may need your help with that

Hey Rietveld....

I've had a C64, ( the Portable SX-64 ) since 1986...   I don't know everything about the C64, but I remember a lot....

MarkO

15 hours ago, rietveld said:

Thanks.   I daisy chained the sdcard drive to my physical drive. I want to create physical disks but I don't know the command to format a blank disk

Formatting a blank disk on the C64 is easy:

OPEN1,8,15,"N0:MYDISK,01"

(then wait for the drive to complete, light go out) and:

CLOSE 1

Or you can try a one liner like this:

OPEN1,8,15,"N:NAME,ID":CLOSE1

"Name" can be renamed to what you want the disk title to be named, and "ID" is just a two digit number (any). I usually use "00" or "01" there.

If you get a fastload cart (you should get one, its pretty necessary when using SD2IEC for speed) it has its own wedge options for formatting and such. You just type the pound symbol and press enter to get into the DOS wedge options. From there you go to the "Copy" option (option C) which opens another menu with a format disk option. A lot faster :)

Image result for fastload wedge

https://rr.pokefinder.org/rrwiki/images/c/c4/Epyx_FastLoad_Manual.pdf

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/commodore/eflr.html

Edited by eightbit

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

Formatting a blank disk on the C64 is easy:

OPEN1,8,15,"N0:MYDISK,01"

(then wait for the drive to complete, light go out) and:

CLOSE 1

Or you can try a one liner like this:

OPEN1,8,15,"N:NAME,ID":CLOSE1

"Name" can be renamed to what you want the disk title to be named, and "ID" is just a two digit number (any). I usually use "00" or "01" there.

If you get a fastload cart (you should get one, its pretty necessary when using SD2IEC for speed) it has its own wedge options for formatting and such. You just type the pound symbol and press enter to get into the DOS wedge options. From there you go to the "Copy" option (option C) which opens another menu with a format disk option. A lot faster :)

Image result for fastload wedge

https://rr.pokefinder.org/rrwiki/images/c/c4/Epyx_FastLoad_Manual.pdf

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/commodore/eflr.html

Thanks. I do have an Epyx fastload cart.   I will try this. I didn't realize the cartridge did that. I thought it just sped up the loading 

Yeah, that fastload is a pretty capable cart :) We all had em back in the day to make this stuff easy.

Thanks for the CoCoSDC tip! I can't wait to try it tonight. I was wondering how this was done!

Also, if you have 42 minutes to spare you should watch this video. It even covers stuff about the Fastload I had no clue about. So informative in fact that I saved a local copy of this video for future reference!

Edited by eightbit

10 hours ago, eightbit said:

Yeah, that fastload is a pretty capable cart :) We all had em back in the day to make this stuff easy.

Thanks for the CoCoSDC tip! I can't wait to try it tonight. I was wondering how this was done!

Also, if you have 42 minutes to spare you should watch this video. It even covers stuff about the Fastload I had no clue about. So informative in fact that I saved a local copy of this video for future reference!

The Epyx FastLoad was one of the First Things I bought, after I bought my Sx-64 in 1986...

I still keep it in my SX-64 Bag, and have acquired a second FastLoad in the last few years...

MarkO

• Like 1