IGNORED

Amiga 2500 help

mehguy

hello everyone,

I recently got an Amiga 2500 and I wanted to inspect the battery and get that thing outta there.

But I try to unscrew all the screws to the drew cage (and the ones on the back) that are visible to me but the drive cage will just wiggle. I don't want to apply too much force on it.

Any suggestions?

Lift it from the front and be careful not to drop it in the back or you may damage the flat video chip.

Alright thanks, I will try that.

Also another thing, I tried the amiga 2 hours ago without a monitor just to see if it were to boot and the HDD was spinning and seemed to be working.

However, when I tried it just now, the power light flashes for a second and nothing happens... did the PSU just brick itself?

Is it flashing everytime you turn it on?

Check if you did not drop a screw or something metal inside.

The power led should stay on when you switch it on.

Yes everytime. I have tried a few times.

I checked, I dont believe I dropped any kind of screw but I will check under the mobo if there is something wrong.

You need to wiggle it from side to side.

alright so I tested all the voltages and they seem to be fine. And the fan is spinning as well.

EDIT: Ok, for some reason, I plugged it back into the amiga to see if it was working... it seemed to work fine this time.

So onto the battery. Luckily the battery hasnt leaked everywhere and only leaked in a small area where the battery terminals are and the battery still holds a charge. But I still want to get it out of there so that there isn't any further damage done to the board.

I don't have a button cell holder on me for the button cell mod, so will the amiga still operate without the battery? (not keeping date and time of course)

Edited by mehguy

It will work fine w/o battery, you can remove the battery just fine.

also, get a q-tip and clean the leak area with a Vinegar to neutralize the spill, and then with alcohol.

So a little update, I tried to remove the motherboard from the case, one of the screws was stripped and was way too tight. So I decided to use a dremel to cut a slit into the screw so that I can get it out with a flat head screw driver. This won't hurt anything right? I'm being very careful not to touch anything but the screw but it is taking a far bit of time to cut a decent slit into it.

Another thing, the power supply problem I had before, it turns out that it was the floppy drive that was causing the problem. I unplugged the floppy drive power cable and it booted right up.

Which tells me, there must be some sort of short in the floppy drive's circuitry.

If you resort to dremeling anything, cut off the metal tabs from the battery to get it out while leaving plenty of metal for you to grab when you go to desolder the tabs from the MB.

Once you get your MB free, throw the entire MB into a tub with denatured vinegar (aka "white vinegar") and let it soak for a few hours (how long you will need to let it soak is dependent on how much the battery had leaked). Use an old battery-powered toothbrush to scrub down the board. Once you are satisfied that the alkaline has been cleaned off of the board, rinse the board off really well, I use regular "city water" for that. Then shake the water out. It takes a lot of shaking, those edge card connectors will trap a lot of water. Then immediately, and I mean immediately, set the board next to a space heater and begin a 2 - 3 day drying process. In other words, be sure that it is dry, and don't get into a hurry.

I've done this to all of my 2000's and 4000's (about 7 or 8 MB's total) and haven't had a problem. I've done it to nearly all of my A500 memory expansion cards (a lot of them), but screwed up and didn't dry them off (I let them air dry). The boards are fine, but the metal covers now have surface rust.

Edited by rootboy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Like an Intellivision or any other system or peripheral that has the RF shield soldered (I hate that!), gotta heat up with a soldering gun and either use a screwdriver to pry apart when hot and/or take some desoldering braid that'll help remove the excess solder. Careful though with solder splashing up at you when prying! That's when you'll want to use safety glasses. :)

Like an Intellivision or any other system or peripheral that has the RF shield soldered (I hate that!), gotta heat up with a soldering gun and either use a screwdriver to pry apart when hot and/or take some desoldering braid that'll help remove the excess solder. Careful though with solder splashing up at you when prying! That's when you'll want to use safety glasses. :)

So once you get the metal shielding off and remove the battery, do you put the shielding back on or just leave it off and plug the card in without it?

To those who have removed the battery from the Amiga 500 RAM expansion module...

how did you remove the metal case for the module without ruining it?

I guess the other question is: How did you get it back together again? It looks like part of it are soldered together.

I always ruined the casing and really didn't care :) Usually it was gross and rusty anyway. All third party trapdoor expansions came as board only as far as I recall, but it was only Commodore that did this probably to appease the FCC. Take it off (snip it, rip it off) and toss it. Take the battery out and replace it with a coin cell...or not. The battery is not even necessary. As long as the board did not suffer any damage from the leakage it will work fine as additional 512mb trapdoor expansion. I saved MANY of these from acid rot over the years.

• Like 1