IGNORED

Frogz 64 Atari Jaguar game

WAVE 1 GAMES

I know I have been kind of all over the place but when I woke up today I thought "HEY! I could reuse the same background graphic from the space level (white stars) as an overlay object to make falling snow for the snow level!" I actually just made 3 moving objects set and different speeds and set them to transparent removing the black. Then I scaled them up so they would look like snow instead of stars. Pretty cool trick for recycling graphics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAnxLqLseQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

I know I have been kind of all over the place but when I woke up today I thought "HEY! I could reuse the same background graphic from the space level (white stars) as an overlay object to make falling snow for the snow level!" I actually just made 3 moving objects set and different speeds and set them to transparent removing the black. Then I scaled them up so they would look like snow instead of stars. Pretty cool trick for recycling graphics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAnxLqLseQ&feature=youtu.be

You should scale them up and down as well for a swirling effect.

• Like 1

i can do some voices as well if you want some more help in your next game ;)

Nah I'm good on voice samples for now. Perhaps in a future game like you said. I still have to squeeze this excellent sprite you made for me in the background or foreground....

Good job man, thanks! I love it!

post-45896-0-73818800-1488109286.png

• Like 1

*Reduced binary file size to 1.4MB
*Created PAL/NTSC screen filter because 'MERICA!
palfilter.bmp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRh-kW1kyw

This works. It works well. The NATIVE NTSC resolution is 320 X 224. (despite what I have read elsewhere)That's what all fullscreen objects will be displayed as from here on. It is pixel perfect in every aspect ratio on the 2 NTSC crts I tested it on. Pal players will see the border graphic I created.

*Added Credits screen scroller object and temporarily removed old intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TQJah3WOw

*completely new snow effect due to RB+ graphics warping bug when up scaling large images too high (work around)

I liked the old effect better but this one will do just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBkNO7cCc4

*Reduced a lot of unnecessary frames and other graphics related things (too much to list)

Today was a productive day, and I did the hardware testing on CD as the binary is now small enough to do that.

Getting a Skunkboard later this week from Tursi for all future hardware testing after I move the game back to ROM only. (excited about this! :) )

• Like 1

What is the RB+ bug?

You can scale objects up and down but large graphics like my intro and the snow flake layers I had can only be upscaled a little bit if you go too far (like I did) then the screen does this garbled then weird warping effect on console. I know this because when the snowflakes passed the screen the view warped like it was on acid or too much Tempest 2000. Then when the snowflake graphics was off screen the graphics returned to normal. Then as the next snowflake layer came into view it got all trippy again. So there is a limit to the upscaling and downscaling you can do. What I would love to do is test the limits and get a gauge as to how much is too much

The warping reminded me of the backgrounds in Mohawk and Headphone Jack for the SNES! (so this could be used as a special effect if controlled properly)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

Love the water effect. Very cool!

I never noticed it before, guess I was watching the frog and cars instead.

Yeah it's the water texture from my Donkey Kong Country 2 3D fan game I made last year. I just scaled it down and reduced the frames for this. This is also a 4 bit version of it compared to the 24 Bit version I created for that game.

What about making the frog rotate right or left when you are heading that direction like in the 2600 game? I feel like this would go a long way in adding to the realism. The game looks very cool as is, just a thought.

Yes that's the plan. Thats why I reduced the number of frames in each frogs animation (plus there were just too many anyway I went overboard with the flashy effect) So the memory I saved by reducing those frames will be used for additional sprites facing left, and down. (left will just be flipped for the RIGHT direction)

Then I still gotta pull off this scaling jump......

• Like 1

It's looking more polished and less "let's try everything to see what works". Kudos.

A couple of things from the videos:
- Numerous graphics still have a smattering of black pixels around them (snow, leaves, logs). If you're not going for a cel-shaded cartoon look where it's on everything (hard to do nicely at low resolution on the jag) this could / should be cleaned up.
- On the credits screen there's no mention of RB+ and the various creators of the various modules (unless I missed it)....nor a weblink to it. I don't know, but if you're using their tools and advice and suggestions, the done thing would be to credit them wouldn't it? A number of tweaks that have been implemented have come from the AA community...it'd be nice to credit the AA forum members in general (but not necessary I guess). This might not be 'cool' for the narrative that some people espouse, but who'd have thought that the people here are actual nice, not just some evil globular entity.... ;)
- +1 for the turning of the frog...though simple animation of the frogs' legs (rather than the colour cycling) when moving would be even better.
- I still note that the frogs don't get 'carried' by the logs. Having taught game design / programming for years, it's a pretty simple task to do (one of my students made a Frogger clone a year or two back). Maybe half a dozen lines at most IIRC. I hope that gets put in...moving your frog along with the logs would...not be cool.

Now that it's working what *I'd do* (and what I often get my students to do if they're ahead of the curve with planning and simple implementation of their games) is to work out on paper how level progression would work, what objects / enemies would come in (and when), what assets and code modules you'll need for each feature etc etc. That last 5 or 10 % that takes most of the time as others have mentioned.

• Like 2

All good advice.

I will definitely write everything out on paper and yes I need the logs and icebergs and space shuttles to actually carry the player. That is a MUST. I have some stuff of my own that might be able to help with that function but I need to translate what I'm used to into RB+ (GML Script). I think it could be done as the functions are pretty much ALL present in RB+ (thank GOD, or ggn and CJ rather) CJ keeps encouraging me to read the manual, but I have already been through the manual and read almost ALL of the tutorials, none of that is sticking with me. I'm more of a hands on learner who likes to dive in blindly. That's just how I learn. Often I will read things and then not remember it or understand it in a totally different way.

As for the credits screen I imagine I will updating that about 1000 times before I'm finished. I just wanted to be able to have the actual object and know it will work, I can add names as I go. It was rough there for I minute I actually couldn't figure out how to get it going but I think it will work the way it is, just need to update the names and properly space everything. There needs to be a lot more spacing. Scaling that object up just a tad bit wouldn't hurt either considering how small the typeface is. I do have a solid plan laid out for the entire project, but if certain new things pop up and the resources permit the new idea I want to include the new ideas too. An example of this is the falling snow, I never planned that I just woke up one morning and was like "Hey! I could make snow fall in the snow level, I SHOULD make snow fall!" And now there is snow. (which admittedly could probably use a little more work.)

As for the cleaning up the edges of the pixels I think am getting these black borders and garbage after converting images from xnview. Since I am editing a lot of graphics as I go, I may wait until everything is final and set in stone and then go in and do one last sprite and background cleanup rather than waste time going back and forth. An example of this is the Lily pads in level 1. I had those black outlines removed, then I decided I wanted them rotated in different directions and went in and edited them in PS. After exporting them I ended up with black lines all over again.

Thanks for the advice, it has not fallen on deaf ears. :)

I got some questions earlier about where I plan to go with the game and I stated that I have a solid plan laid out for the game. I wasn't trying to tell all right away but I guess there's no harm in sharing what's to be expected from the final product. So here it is

Here is a full list of my plans for the game:

1 Player Arcade Mode:

4 main levels that increase in difficulty and 2 secret unlockable levels after beating game

Street

Snow

Lava

Space

SKY LEVEL (unlock-able level)

8 Lane highway (unlock-able level #2)

Hidden in start menu 2600/VCS mode with 10 levels of difficulty

2 Player modes

2 player Arcade competition

2 player Fly eating contest (kind of like frogs and flies)

2 player Battle Mode (only 1 level specially made for this mode SIMILAR TO BOMBERMAN) each player will have 24 hearts going across the screen!

Player 2 can also join in on 2600/VCS mode by picking up the controller and pressing B

Eating flies will give you the ability to drop bombs like Bomberman which can be done in ALL modes drastically effecting gameplay as bombs can take out cars or destroy logs you may be standing on. The bombs are also going to be the primary mode of attack in 2 player battle mode

The space level will have no "ground" so to speak you must progress by jumping on passing space shuttles only the hidden SKY level will be the same type of deal but with clouds instead of space shuttles. 8 Lane highway needs no explaination and it will be super hard.

These are ALL of the plans I have for the final product and I am confident I can achieve all of these things. Anything more than this may be a bit too much for me.

I have decided NOT to include a score object as I feel it doesn't really make sense for a Frogger clone and screen space is very limited, there are plenty of tutorials on how to get a score going and it seems pretty darned easy, I just really don't want it in my game. Turtles and snakes and gators will all be there as well, I won't forget them (I already have those sprites ready to go)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

Wouldn't moving the frog with the logs be something like:

if (frog_obj touches log_X_obj == TRUE) {
frog_obj._x += log_X_obj.speedVar
}

Obviously that's just pseudocode, I don't know RB+ from a bar of soap...yet.

Graphics wise: maybe I've been a photoshop user for too long, but wouldn't 'cleaning up' the images take about 5 minutes per graphic, especially given that they're tiny? Fair enough if you'd rather save that until the end though...the possible bad thing about that is that you'll miss something obvious and the release version will have an ugly graphic or two.

I'm all for diving in and experimenting, but released products should have a plan...which you seem to have. Jeff Minter (my favourite game programmer / designer ever) often experiments with ideas to come up with what he wants. This should be encouraged...

...BUT - having a complete handle on the programming language structure is probably best to have first once you've 'played around' IMHO. And I say that as someone who's old enough and crusty enough to now struggle with learning any new programming language and environment (there's a reason why I haven't played with RB+ yet, haha).

It's coming along well enough though, hopefully it'll evolve into a fun and unique game of it's own :)