IGNORED

Frogz 64 Atari Jaguar game

WAVE 1 GAMES

frogz2_8_6_2017_SKUNK.rom

frogz2_8_6_2017_VJ.abs

Here is the current build with the improved Jagpad, the ability to turn off music and the safe zone in the middle of the screen. I have made a few other changes too. The heart icons are different and the collisions are hopefully better with the cars and the gator

• Like 1

The above video is an approximation of what River Rush Mode will look like, these are the assets that will be used. The goal will be to eat the random spawning fly and avoid rocks, logs and gators who will also appear on screen at random Y positions. As your score increases so will the river and speed of everything else! If this all sounds familiar it's because this will be the 100 % Pure Beef Mode gameplay from Fast Food 64 with the fly replacing the burger and the obstacles replacing the veggies. Also the gameplay here will be in reverse compared to that game. One thing I would like to add is a random spawning heart every 500 points that you can collect that will restore your health gauge 1 hit. I figured since that mode from that game was so well received (even here on AA) why not include a similar mode with some enhancements here?

I guess you were right Madman, I did post a video on Sunday. :/

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 3

Hello!

Actually it shouldn't be safe. On higher levels a snake patrols it.

You're right. Forgot about that. So on level 1 it should be safe, then on level 8 (which is the repeat of level 1 with extra difficulty) the snake should appear.

In the version that i talked about a third car was driving on that side of the highway, it always collided with the frog that was resting on the green stripe. In the newer version this car is now removed, so the frog is now safe.

I have cleaned up the edges of the Jagpad sprite. How does that look?

It's ok now :)

I have also fixed the glitch where the skull animation stays on forever. (that was a simple accident)

Next I will make the middle area of the screen where the grass is a "safe zone" (as it SHOULD be) and start creating the reset game subroutine for pressing 0 and # keys like you suggested.

As mentioned, the green zone between highway and river is ok now,

but key 0 only switches the music/sfx off, this key should be implemented as a toggle.

The frog always jitters (x-position) when sitting on the wood rows(from bottom to top) 1, 3 and 4, but not on row 2.

Kind regards

Matthias

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

unfortunately 'fools' will still buy this, some 'fools' will even think this is the best thing ever.

if these people have no clue what they are buying let them buy this shit

i certainly wont be, not only because this this is an absolutely terrible remake of a classic, but because its creator has previously attempted and was caught red handed selling my software i have gave away or free on ebay (which is why there have been no further versions of it released to the public)

Edited by omf
  • Like 4

unfortunately 'fools' will still buy this, some 'fools' will even think this is the best thing ever.

if these people have no clue what they are buying let them buy this shit

i certainly wont be, not only because this this is an absolutely terrible remake of a classic, but because its creator has previously attempted and was caught red handed selling my software i have gave away or free on ebay (which is why there have been no further versions of it released to the public)

Which games were these exactly? Not in an accusatory manner, but as a neutral interest :)

The lack of any finished gameplay videos does cause the usual concern.

I've also noticed that one of the fundamental parts of the frogger arcade gameplay aka the countdown timer looks to be missing, crocodiles are going through logs too but I don't want to just pick faults as I can't tell if those are in the final release...

Nitpicking???????

Question 1: have you ever actually played frogger?

2. Do you mean to have a safe channel on the fire level where you can just sit and wait for the extra lives to hit you?

3. On the first level your frog movement on the top two log rows is wrong in that they shuffle after hitting the end, on top row they actually move to the right faster than the log

4. Ice level had frog going behind placed frogs, perspective wrong when frog is floating over water

5. No randomness attached to moving objects, so rates are exactly same on all horizontal movements - when object leaves on left then starts at same rate on left

6. Instant death with no way to avoid on space level.

7. Crocs moving through objects, random death reasons as water lillys flip and yet you still can go on them.

Etc...

Collisions still intermittent.

• Like 2

While I think it's good to have feedback and constructive criticism (regardless if said feedback or criticism is received resulting in changes) it will never warrant the amount of shitting on Jeff I'm seeing in this thread, whether you like him or not. It's still no wonder why developers leave the Jag scene left and right. If you have personal beef with the guy, you can always send a PM but many of you are failing to realize that:

1. It's unconventionally programmed by someone who is still learning.

2. It's a 1-man show with the ROM completely downloadable, leaving people to burn it to CD or cart themselves if they so desire.

3. It's actually released/done, however done or unfinished it may subjectively be. Some people never finish, some people never start. Pick one.

4. The green cart is kind of cool and actually looks good with the black label against it but that's just an opinion.

5. It's definitely not perfect but at the same time it's also a homebrew, most generally aren't.

6. He did mention that the emulator has issues, which is obviously how the video was posted.

Has anyone done a review of the final game running on a Jaguar instead of basing reviews off of some past videos?

This whole ordeal could definitely be used as a learning lesson to those who want to attempt programming on the Jaguar in the future. Don't constantly post WIP videos. Make sure you have someone that can test the thing fully and extensively that will push for changes. Come in the game with thick skin knowing you're going to get shit on because it's easier to hate something you make then it is to hate nothing at all.

I think if the game was priced slightly less of a retail game and more as a homebrew, maybe the anger behind bashing whatever concoction of a game this is may be slightly less, but probably not. People still buy Club Drive and SuperCross 3D, I can't see this being any worse even in it's worse form and those were so-called professional releases by corporations with some coin behind them and a team of people.

End of the day, if you think it's just shit, then you obviously don't have to buy it, play it or even support it.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 2

I think a lot of the anger is attributable to the monetization aspect. If you read from the start of this thread you can see it was originally meant as a learning exercise and a complete rewrite of the dogger game included as one of the rb examples.

Questions were asked, and answered in both this thread and in several inside the programming sub forum. This time, people were promised, wouldn't be like the fast food rush to production, it would be released when it was ready.

2 months later it's put out with seemingly no independent testing, no videos of the final version and several bugs that had been mentioned earlier ignored.

Once again its looking like a quick cash grab.

As to errors because of the use of vj, he has a skunk board but didn't upload a video from that, also the final rom will not be downloadable.

Edited by Welshworrier
  • Like 4