IGNORED

Frogz 64 Atari Jaguar game

WAVE 1 GAMES

Well what are they? Dead pixels? I never noticed them on ANY of the 7800 games and i saw them on a LOT of 2600 games. Usually the older ones or third party games

There's a thing called "google" you can use to find stuff like this out ;)

When will you be adding the submerging turtles? That's a HUGE part of Frogger.

Well what are they? Dead pixels? I never noticed them on ANY of the 7800 games and i saw them on a LOT of 2600 games. Usually the older ones or third party games

How can a ROM have dead pixels that appear on screen? That makes no sense. Scanlines are a result of how CRTs function. A quick Google search will tell you why those lines appear on the lefthand side of 2600 games.

It's part of the ramping up difficulty of the original game. Some of the pads would change color before disappearing, snakes appear in the grass, lady frogs appear that can be jumped on for bonuses etc.

To give your game longevity you'll need to include features such as those.

I was just dicussing this with Clint. The snakes and stuff will be present in the 2600 level. But I think to ramp up the difficulty I am going to make the game cycle back to level 1 (after an ending) each new cycle things will speed up and additional cars will be added. Logs will speed up as well adding to the difficulty. Eventually after enough cycles things will be so fast it will be impossible to play. Also another idea is having the space level being the last level in the loop it will be the hardest. The entire screen will be like water (except for the starting point/moon) you have to make your way by jumping on passing space shuttles only, no ground

• Like 1

I was just dicussing this with Clint. The snakes and stuff will be present in the 2600 level. But I think to ramp up the difficulty I am going to make the game cycle back to level 1 (after an ending) each new cycle things will speed up and additional cars will be added. Logs will speed up as well adding to the difficulty. Eventually after enough cycles things will be so fast it will be impossible to play. Also another idea is having the space level being the last level in the loop it will be the hardest. The entire screen will be like water (except for the starting point/moon) you have to make your way by jumping on passing space shuttles only, no ground

Given the size of your frogz and the gaps between the cars that sounds... um... disappointing.

The turtles, snake, lady frogs, crocodiles and enemies in the home zones are what make Frogger.... well... "Frogger". Without those, you have less than Frogger, not Frogger x64 or Frogger 2000.

Like I said, that last 5% is where the effort goes.

• Like 2

Given the size of your frogz and the gaps between the cars that sounds... um... disappointing.

The turtles, snake, lady frogs, crocodiles and enemies in the home zones are what make Frogger.... well... "Frogger". Without those, you have less than Frogger, not Frogger x64 or Frogger 2000.

Like I said, that last 5% is where the effort goes.

What he said. These are the minimum components for a game of Frogger, can't see that simply ramping up the speed will hold anyone's interest.

Hmmmm.. so ramping up the speed and introducing new elements/ hazards with each cycle then? Ok. Thats doable. I suppose a significant ammount of traffic too? Not much room for new elements I may have to resort to still images for new hazards, I will have to get creative! I was also going add a fly contest to player 2 mode. Pressing C at the title screen would enable this mode. Basically Frogs and Flies mixed with Frogger, whoever collects the most flies and gets more frogs home is the winner. The flies will appear at random and move really quickly.

• Like 1

So player 2 picks up the controller presses B and that enables 2 player arcade mode. PICK UP AND PLAY. If he presses C instead it enables Fly eating contest mode. If he presses A instead it enables 2 player battle mode swaps the background out for an arena where each player is facing each other. NOW how do I make frogs kill each other?? I was thinking bombs, but I dont know

I would love to see the flies add power ups in the two player mode:

Something like this:

Red Fly makes opponent slow down for 5 seconds

Green Fly make you go faster for 5 seconds

Black Fly kills opponent and makes him startover

White Fly Freezes opponent for a few seconds.

And I agree, if the huge intro is keeping out fun gameplay, lose it. It's cool but not at the cost of good gameplay.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzRyvJdy6HI&feature=youtu.be

Added all of the cars and trucks in for the 2600 level. Tomorrow I will add in the snake, the crocodiles, the proper 2600 logs and all other lake objects. :)

Cool! But not all at once, bring them on as you complete levels. Will you be adding the submerging turtles and the nasties in the home zones?

Cool! But not all at once, bring them on as you complete levels. Will you be adding the submerging turtles and the nasties in the home zones?

yes. Although they are not really turtles in that one they are just kind of circles. Im gonna try and get it as close to the 2600 version as possible with the only foreign elements being the frogs and the hearts. I like it that way because it kind of feels like he has traveled back in time. I am going to match the bleeping jump noises for each directional input. Currently the 2600 cars are oversized compared to the old game. I'm not sure if I am going to leave them like this to add more of a challenge for 2600 veterans or scale them down for authenticity.

Horizontal is hold down vertical movement is tap the direction to jump

It would probably be better if the frog jumped, maybe with an animation? Also have it on a tap, tap, tap mechanism, so the pad has to be released after each jump (like in the original) - which helps with precision.

Sliding left/right both looks, and feels, wrong.

• Like 2

It would probably be better if the frog jumped, maybe with an animation? Also have it on a tap, tap, tap mechanism, so the pad has to be released after each jump (like in the original) - which helps with precision.

Yeah i thought about that. It would be nice if instead of animating the frog to jump I could get the zooming scale up then back down effect that your ship in Rebooteroids does when it goes to hyperspace or when you die. Maybe not as far of a scale up, just a tad. That is totally assuming that its not an animation you actually used but a code trick to make the image scale up then back down Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

Pretty much what I was getting at. That's part of the experience of the original, and sometimes getting upset at yourself when you tapped one too many times and ran yourself into a hazard. I'd also imagine holding the pad down for movement would lead to slower gameplay.

I would love to see the flies add power ups in the two player mode:

Something like this:

Red Fly makes opponent slow down for 5 seconds

Green Fly make you go faster for 5 seconds

Black Fly kills opponent and makes him startover

White Fly Freezes opponent for a few seconds.

And I agree, if the huge intro is keeping out fun gameplay, lose it. It's cool but not at the cost of good gameplay.

OK Tom. So I have took your advice about the flies and I think I know what we are going to do with them. The only fly idea you told me that I really liked was the freeze frog. I really like this because flies appear on screen at random and move really quickly, if one of these freeze flies touches you while you are in the middle of traffic it could get you killed.

"So that's it Jeff, just a freeze fly? nothing else?"

That will be the blue or white fly

Let's talk about the BLACK FLY. eating a black fly will give you the ability to drop one bomb, very much in the style of bomberman. after dropping a bomb 2-3 seconds will pass and BOOM! it will explode. The mass of the explosion can take out cars drastically changing the 1 player game! As for 2 player mode in the Battle Mode game the flies and bombs will be center attention! both players will start out in a large arena surrounded by fire. Player 2 will be at the top facing down and player 1 will be at the bottom of the screen facing up. each player will have 24 hearts going across the screen (player 2 up top player 1 down bottom) flies will fly through the arena at random giving players the ability to drop bombs. The freeze flies will be randomly present as well. So imagine that, you are looking for the next fly to drop a bomb on the other player and you are jumping around and oh here is one! oops that was a freeze fly. gotcha killed! You will also be able to kill the other player by pushing them into the lake of fire surrounding the arena! the first person to lose all 24 hearts is the loser!

There ya go CJ, there is some of that magic FUN stuff you said I would need. I really like this little idea, I think it will add some different flavor to the Frogger formula. (tastes like bomberman, did somebody season my frog legs with bomberman again?)

• Like 1

There ya go CJ, there is some of that magic FUN stuff you said I would need. I really like this little idea, I think it will add some different flavor to the Frogger formula. (tastes like bomberman, did somebody season my frog legs with bomberman again?)

It sounds reaasonable, but you won't know if it's FUN until you try it. Hopefully, it will be!

• Like 2