IGNORED

Frogz 64 Atari Jaguar game

WAVE 1 GAMES

A little hard to picture at the moment but these characters will be in the 8 lane highway stage. They will dominate the top 4 lanes of the screen and the bottom 4 lanes will be normal traffic moving right. Each character will be represented a a little smaller than this and their speeds will vary. I just wanted to go ahead and set their objects up and get started on their behaviors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dedh5qO1cUc&feature=youtu.be

• Like 4

*Added a level clear scroller when completing a level in 1 player mode.

*fixed some collision stuff.

*fixed all startup issues on console

*created new subroutine for loading up lava level and all futue levels

*added lava level

*this will be the last public test rom release before the final release

*the next few days I will be setting up the lava level and danger zones

FROGZ 64 BETA 3 21 2017.rom

• Like 2

Many of the graphics / sprites still have black pixels around them. Sorry to mention it so many times, but it seems simple to fix yet stands out a lot, making it seem rather rough and unfinished.

I hope the player doesn't have to hold left/right when on the logs.

Can the frog have animation when moving rather than colour cycling. It'd gel better with the cartoon style graphics in the rest of the game.

A little hard to picture at the moment but these characters will be in the 8 lane highway stage. They will dominate the top 4 lanes of the screen and the bottom 4 lanes will be normal traffic moving right. Each character will be represented a a little smaller than this and their speeds will vary. I just wanted to go ahead and set their objects up and get started on their behaviors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dedh5qO1cUc&feature=youtu.be

I am so ready for this game when it comes on cartridge!!!

Please consider putting it on cart... you'll definitely have a buyer from me, this looks awesome! There are a lot of people here who would be willing to help you get it on cart!

• Like 1

I might be a little late to the party... Great effort here, every decent game system needs a good Frogger "clone".

One teeniest, tiniest detail that bothers me though, would be the sideways movement of the protagonist aka. the frog. Forwards it moves like it should, in deathly little leaps of doom, but it slides sideways like Michael Jackson. Seems a bit inconsitent, but hey, who am I to judge. Just an opinion.

Looking forward to see it complete, even the Thliller version :)

Edited by af0l
  • Like 1

I'll say it again, I hope you won't just 'get it working' and release it.

There's a bunch of stuff you could do to this to take it to the next notch, such as:

• Stop the cars driving through you and not killing you
  • Stop the frog from sliding around on the water without getting killed
  • Add the lady frog
  • Add the crocodiles
  • Add the turtles
  • Add the foxes in the safe zones at the top
  • Add sideways leaping
  • Auto-move with the logs
  • Stop the cars from driving through each other
  • Clean up the sprites (as has been mentioned)
  • Highscore tables
  • Unlockables
  • Much, much testing on game play balance (how the difficulty ramps up) - this is definitely something you cannot do on your own (see the Rebooteroids thread for proof of that!)

It'd be a shame to release it without all that polish. No more testing after this, when all that would need testing seems like a shame.

I would hate to see this shoved out of the door just because that last five percent is too much bother to go through, which is a bit how this entire thread has read (Sorry if that offends you, but that is how it reads) - If you were releasing it as a free download none of this would matter, but you aren't, so I implore you to make the effort to bump up the quality, longevity, and fun factor before making carts and boxes.

• Like 7

I would just like to say one thing. Frogz 64 is not Frogger. The majority of the suggestions and tips I agree on. Please understand that I will not and can not agree on all of them. Machine suggested that different colored flies have different power up effects, this is one example of a suggestion I like however I may not be able to include different flies due to memory constaint. Overall I have a vision of how I want Frogz 64 to be. The final product is as clear as day to me in my head. It is very different than what the current build shows you. Will there be snakes? Yes, they are already in there! But only in 2600 mode, not the main game. The main game is something different entirely. It is my vision. I know this doesnt make sense I know some of you think im in a rush and just trying to finish it but this is not the case. None of the suggestions have fallen on deaf ears and i really am grateful for all of the advice. Some of the ideas shared with me will be used and some wont. If Jeff Minter had listened to Atari and made something different Tempest 2000 would not be what it is today. If mr Miyamoto had played it safe and stuck with single screen games super mario bros wouldn't be the franchise it is today. If I mislead anyone into thinking this game is near complete by deciding to no longer share demo builds I apologize, it is nowhere near complete. In fact I may even still kick out one more binary, the fact is I have heard you all but I have some ideas of my own on how I want to finish this. And I want those ideas to be secret for now. This 5% as CJ would call it is my opportunity to really make the game shine. Now I wouldn't want to spoil everything right away now would I? No that would just be silly. I will say this much, thank you for all of the advice and suggestions and until my next update on the project, stay tuned. ;)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

Minter had listened to Atari and made something different Tempest 2000 would not be what it is today. If mr Miyamoto had played it safe and stuck with single screen games super mario bros wouldn't be the franchise it is today

Excellent, so this will be as good as Tempest 2000 and Super Mario Bros put together. I can't wait.

• Like 3

I'll add one thing to CJ's list. Do some major work on your sound effects. At the moment they're so annoying and loud it makes me want to hit "mute" immediately.

+1, I stopped watching the videos simply because I couldn't deal with that annoying voice. I guess we'll see what happens in the end.

• Like 2

+1, I stopped watching the videos simply because I couldn't deal with that annoying voice. I guess we'll see what happens in the end.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I stopped watching because that frog colour strobe is more irritating than a 2600 multisprite kernel. Something that you literally *have* to focus on to play should not try to burn your retina out.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Back at it. Different code base this time. (FF64)

log collisions working

added a water current that pulls your frog

added gators

added snake

added 5th lilly pad

added score

no car collisions or any other dangerous collisions set up yet , the main focus here is rebuilding the game up to the old point I left off using a different code base (and adding working logs)

ALSO I am doing other things with the FF64 code base as well.... more info on that later! for now here is a teaser

post-45896-0-68420700-1501091846_thumb.png

Yes the music is coming from the U-235 and NO the actual song will not be in the game. Instead will use a karaoke version with no lyrics whenever you collect a power pill.

Don't want to get off topic so a new topic for that project will be created soon.

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

Here is the progress of the Frogz 64 rebuild over the last few days. I will start with a list of what has been done

* Started with my own code as INSISTED By sh3-rg (it's Fast Food 64)

* Removed psychedelic strobing frog in favor of a solid colored frog per CraynoJones and Grimm's suggestions.

* Added a jump animation per everyone's suggestion (not entirely happy with it, think it needs more work but at least it's there!)

* Added a score as suggested by Machine

* Cleaned up the sprites for the icebergs, penguins, and walrus as suggested multiple times by Skip.

* Fixed z-order of cars and snow level objects as suggested by CraynoJones

* Added correct log collisions and riding ability as suggested by Nick Persijn (there's more about this see below)

* Recreated street, snow and lava stages from previous build

* Added 8 lane highway, space, sky and river stages

* Added my own "lady frogs" as the goal zone objects for the sky level

* removed "annoying voice" sounds per Zerosquare and CraynoJones requests. Added 8 bit signed retro style sound effects (death sound may be too loud let me know)

* Added death and win zone animations

* bumped the music soundtrack up to 6 MOD files (hell yeah! ;) )

Now remember I said there was more to the riding the logs. some of you may have noticed the frog gliding on the water and assumed this is an invisible log. no it is NOT. In actuality this is a separate event of the water where it pulls your frog across the screen (water current). Currently the frog wraps to the other side. What will eventually happen is scrolling off the screen will result in a death! This element will only be present in the 2 water stages, the first level and the last river level (the river should pull the frog MUCH faster) I may opt for just making it that way in the river level but I really like the idea of your frog being able to still have some control on water as we all know frogs CAN swim. In the other levels falling off a log/iceberg/rock/whatever will result in instant death.

I just tested everything on my SKUNK today and the game runs like a charm on console SO FAR. no issues and my Jaguar did not explode. (yet)

I have done a lot, and will do much more before this release. I welcome any additional suggestions or input and I thank everyone who has already suggested stuff.

I like the way it's looking so far!

• Like 1