IGNORED

Atari & Gameband

So I got a tantilizing email today from Atari's newsletter. It had a picture of an Asteroids Deluxe cabinet with the words "Remember how you used to game?" After that, it reads

Get ready for a whole NEW experience

We've teamed up with Gameband to bring you brand new hardware that will change the way you game.

February Launch!

You'll get all the juicy details of the new product this February.

Now, my first thought was that the Coleco Chameleon was back again, but after a bit of research, I don't think that's the case. I had never heard of this Gameband company, so I looked them up and found a Minecraft Gameband which is a glorified USB thumb drive you can wear on your wrist. To be fair, it is different tech than typical flash drives as, allegedly, you can play Minecraft directly from the Gameband, which would kill an ordinary flash drive. Even so, whoop-de-skip, I say.

So this has me wondering what Atari is doing with this and if the reference to classic games means anything. We won't know until February and in February we will all be underwhelmed.

• Like 2

There's a little link from gameband.com with a FAQ for gamebandminecraft.com, which gives a taste of what to expect. "anybody that knows how to install these won't care" sounds exactly right.

Quoted here so you can still read it when the project fails and the page goes dark.

Gameband + Minecraft FAQ

Can I install Mods in my Gameband?

Yes, lots of Mods are compatible with Gameband, you just have to remember to install them in the minecraft folder on your Gameband instead of the computer’s hard drive.

Some Mods and Mod Launchers are NOT compatible. With so many people developing Mods for Minecraft there are many different ways to install, use and execute them, so it’s really hard to support them all. Go to our knowledge base to learn more about mod installation on your Gameband: Gameband knowledge base.

My computer is not detecting Gameband, what do I do?

Hmmm, make sure it’s plugged in correctly. If you still do not see the drive, please eject, unplug and plug again. Sometimes Gameband may not be detected the first time you plug it in. If after trying this you still do not see it, please get in touch with our support team.

Do I need to have a USB 3.0 port to use Gameband?

Gameband uses USB3.0 technology and has an MLC chip. USB3.0 = speed and MLC = long life. We use this technology to ensure an amazing gaming experience, the same or faster than just playing the game on a PC or Mac. To be clear however: you DO NOT NEED to have a USB3.0 computer, Gameband works perfectly in any USB2.0 ports out there (that is where it is used 90% of the time). If you have a USB3.0 port available however, try to use it because it will be an even awesomer experience :)

How do I install Gameband?

You do not have to! That’s the great thing about Gameband :)

My Gameband is getting very hot, is that normal?

If you’ve done a lot of playing, and since you are constantly reading and writing to the USB it is normal that it gets warm. As soon as you unplug it the temperature will drop drastically and you will be able to put it on your wrist almost immediately. If you still think it’s too hot to even wear, let us know as fast as possible.

How do I run Gameband?

You plug Gameband into the USB port of your computer and inside the folder that appears just click the Gameband App. We take care of launching Minecraft and backing up your worlds.

There are a few small differences between Mac, Windows and Linux:

On a Mac you need to open the folder that should appear on your desktop when you plug Gameband in (just like when you plug in a USB). Inside you should a round Gameband icon (kinda obvious which one to click). Just click it and off you go!

On Windows (depending on version or how you are setup) the Gameband folder might open automatically, or you may need to open it (just like you would a USB folder). You should then see an obvious Gameband icon, just click it and you off you go!

On Linux, the application file is called Gameband_linux.bat (we know, this is not a standard linux executable filename, but recent versions of Ubuntu and Debian only allow certain filenames to be executable on a FAT filesystem – those ending in .exe, .bat or .com. So to be able to ship a linux executable on a FAT filesystem, we’ve had to call it Gameband_linux.bat). You should be able to run the executable by double clicking it in the File Manager and choosing “Run”, otherwise open a terminal, cd into where the Gameband has been mounted and run it by typing ./Gameband_linux.bat.

The backup is taking too long, why?

First, make sure you have a stable and fast Internet connection. Make sure you have the latest Gameband software. It may be the case that we’ve done an update to solve a backup bug and that’s why yours is running kind of slow. Another reason your backup may be running slowly is if you did a lot of building or exploring, if this is the case, we recommend you leave it running overnight. If none of this solves your issue, please get in touch with us at support@nowcomputing.com as you may be facing a different problem :(

Where is Minecraft?

Minecraft is installed in the minecraft folder on your Gameband. You won’t normally need to open this folder, but if you want to install mods, resource packs, etc. this is where they go.

Where is the License and Serial Number for Gameband?

You will find your license and serial number in the sticker located at the bottom of the stone box (gray sleeve). The serial number also appears on the interior sticker of your Gameband

What are all these strange files on my Gameband?

Mac OS X automatically creates lots of files like ._.Trashes, .fseventsd, ._.DS_Store, etc. These files are normally hidden on Mac and Linux, but they may be visible on Windows. They’re quite harmless and you can safely ignore them.

Gameband is giving me an allergy, what do I do?

Gameband is made of a durable and high quality TPU material similar to that used in high-end watches. The clasp is made of stainless steel. As with any type of jewelry, some people may experience allergies. There are several things that can cause an allergy, such as a nickel sensitivity, reactions to bacteria that can accumulate, a reaction between Gameband and your soap or perspiration, or an allergy to the material of the wristband. If you detect any itching or irritation, take off your Gameband immediately.

I think I erased some files accidentally…

Ooops. Get in touch with us at support@nowcomputing.com and we will look into your problem ASAP.

How does the Backup Service work?

If you have our backup service (either bundled with your purchase or purchased afterwards) it is pretty painless. Every time you exit your game the backup will kick in. You have an option to quit the backup, but of course then you are risking not have your files saved.

Do I have to register?

Yes, to use the Gameband and PixelFurnace App you must register first. It’s a quick process – we just need your user name, your email address and a password.

What happens if I cancel the backup?

Don’t worry if you have to cancel the backup – we’ll start it again after the next time you play. But remember, if you lose your Gameband we can only restore the last complete backup, so try not to cancel it too often.

I have forgotten my account password! What can i do?

Relax! You can easily recover your account password by accessing our password recovery tool. You will be uploading and downloading animations in just a minute!

My Gameband won’t save the changes that I did with the PixelFurnace App.

Make sure you have hit the ‘Apply’ button on the PixelFurnace App and then properly eject your Gameband. If you just unplug it, some of the changes may not be applied or even worse, your Gameband may not work anymore :(. If you have done this and still cannot see the changes on your Gameband, make sure that you are cycling through your Gameband correctly. Remember: if you click the button once, you will get the Redstone animation and whatever element you put first in the PixelFurnace App, if you click the button again, you will see the next element, and so on until the cycle is over and the display turns off.

When registering my Gameband it says that it is corrupt or that there is some problem with my license ☹

Your Gameband has traveled all around the world to get to you, so there might have been some problems on the trip. Send us an email at support@nowcomputing.com and we will look into your issue ASAP.

I lost my Gameband (or someone stole it), how can I recover my Worlds?

Get in touch with us at support@nowcomputing.com, we will see when the last backup you completed was. We will import the information from your last backup and ship a new Gameband to you at a reduced price.

I cannot register my Gameband, what do I do?

Please make sure that you have an Internet connection. If you do have an Internet connection and it’s still not working please get in touch with us at support@nowcomputing.com. We will get you up and running as fast as we can.

Is Gameband waterproof?

Gameband is splash-proof to IPX4 standards. This means that it can withstand some light rain BUT it should never be fully submerged in water.

How can I transfer my Worlds onto Gameband?

If you have not imported this data on the setup process, you will have to move them manually. To do this, go to the minecraft/saves folder on your PC and copy (or drag) your Worlds into the minecraft/saves folder on your Gameband. Remember that Gameband can hold up to 8 GBs of information.

I want to know more, I want to report a bug or I need help!

For more help please shoot us an email at support@nowcomputing.com.

There's a little link from gameband.com with a FAQ for gamebandminecraft.com, which gives a taste of what to expect. "anybody that knows how to install these won't care" sounds exactly right.

Quoted here so you can still read it when the project fails and the page goes dark.

what do you mean fails?

it's already out, and on sale... so how does it fail?

do you mean when atari releases it or before that?

not sure what you mean... atari is already committed to it,

so are you just predicting the future.

later

I don't know what'd keep me from buying a minecraft gameband, customizing the animation to scroll 'Atari' and stuffing the usb memory full of actually good Atari stuff instead of whatever crap "Atari" now thinks we're stupid enough to buy.

I'd much rather buy the minecraft one for that purpose.

Then "Atari" wouldn't get any of my money.

Edited by Reaperman

more information on a related product:

b3738f0f-73c0-4718-a108-2a973d321fa3.png

Mark your Calendars: February 8th
(6am PST, noon EST, 3pm CET)
Thanks again for subscribing to gameband.com
We’ve been working like crazy on our new product….and, yes: it’s a Smartwatch. A powerful one. Like no other. And, it’s been created for Gamers, in terms of tech, design and content. Within a few days we can finally show you the entire product in all its glory.
As part of our announcement: Gameband Atari Edition and Gameband Terraria Edition will both be unveiled next week. They have some really cool elements built into them, and frankly: they look stunning.
Please save the February 8th date of our Kickstarter campaign. You’ll be getting early access to our Super Early Bird exclusive offers, with very limited quantities and pricing.
Thanks for your interest so far, we’ll be telling you more as soon as we can.
Feargal Mac Conuladh
later

I am so pissed. I can't believe their "reveal" was for a Kickstarter announcement of all things. Their cringey ass PR shilling is already telling me this is going to be a shitshow of monumental proportions. I'll have to clear my schedule in case I need to make a video about this one.

I mean c'mon...

"mark your calendars!"

"early bird exclusive"

"we've been working like crazy!"

"limited quantities and pricing"

Get fucked, Atari.

• Like 5

another update:

69f7db70-ac90-441e-9eb4-d2c26cae599c.png

Gameband Kickstarter launch
February 8 @ 6am PST, noon EST, 3pm CET
In less than 3 days we unveil Gameband. We hope you are going to love it.
An insanely powerful Smartwatch, wrapped in gaming design and content.
There’ll be an Atari Edition (red, black and retro), a Terraria Edition (brown, green and indie) and a straight Gameband Edition (Black, sleek and shiny).
They’re all stunning, and Super Early Bird Pricing on Kickstarter will start at just $99; but for very limited quantities only….so you gotta get there fast.
Thanks for signing up, really can’t wait to fully unveil this!
Feargal
Gameband CEO
=========================
later

Yeah. I was planning to revisit this thread once the full unveiling occurred because the shilling is painful to behold.

I really don't understand this product. What is a smartwatch and why should I care? I don't even have a smartphone, personally. I may learn how to make one out of a Raspberry Pi someday...

They really missed a trick by not making the Atari one black and woodgrain. In either case, it doesn't appear to be like the Minecraft one that was a glorified thumbstick. It's a full Smertwetch. Woo hoo.

Yeah. I was planning to revisit this thread once the full unveiling occurred because the shilling is painful to behold.

I really don't understand this product. What is a smartwatch and why should I care? I don't even have a smartphone, personally. I may learn how to make one out of a Raspberry Pi someday...

They really missed a trick by not making the Atari one black and woodgrain. In either case, it doesn't appear to be like the Minecraft one that was a glorified thumbstick. It's a full Smertwetch. Woo hoo.

You're obviously in the extreme minority with the smartphone thing, so that's not really an issue in my opinion.

Frankly, while I'm not sold on the basic concept (at least what I know of it so far), I do think $99 is a surprisingly competitive price point assuming it does reasonable smartwatch-like things and has a compelling entertainment hook. I'm still not clear on what those gaming aspects will be, though.

Anyway, I suppose I would normally be part of the target audience for something like this, but I already have an Apple Watch. For me to have more interest, it would have to be something I could wear on my right wrist. I wouldn't mind something more band-like and that had significant fitness features. Another watch, I just don't need at this time.

Maybe this is something more targeted to my two oldest daughters, 10 and 12. However, while they already have smartphones, I don't know if I'd invest $99 in them getting smartwatches I don't see them remembering to wear.

• Like 1

Maybe this is something more targeted to my two oldest daughters, 10 and 12. However, while they already have smartphones, I don't know if I'd invest $99 in them getting smartwatches I don't see them remembering to wear.

Nor would kids be very into the Atari name, in my experience. Terraria or Minecraft, yeah MAYbe, but it's another thing to charge and look after.

I wouldn't mind an Atari thing on my Apple watch. Remember those Fossil watches that showed animated asteroids?

• Like 1

Nor would kids be very into the Atari name, in my experience. Terraria or Minecraft, yeah MAYbe, but it's another thing to charge and look after.

I wouldn't mind an Atari thing on my Apple watch. Remember those Fossil watches that showed animated asteroids?

Exactly about another thing to charge and look after for them. The Atari thing is absolutely irrelevant to them, but Minecraft wouldn't necessarily be. I think the Atari name is incidental in this case.

I've played some games on my Apple Watch, but, outside of the first few times of novelty, it's not really an ideal experience. It's fundamentally no better than what we had with the LCD game watches because of the small screen size. As it is, it's just easier to play a game on my phone, and it's not like I do that as much anymore either. In other words, watch gaming is pretty far down the list, and maybe at the bottom.

Exactly about another thing to charge and look after for them. The Atari thing is absolutely irrelevant to them, but Minecraft wouldn't necessarily be. I think the Atari name is incidental in this case.

I've played some games on my Apple Watch, but, outside of the first few times of novelty, it's not really an ideal experience. It's fundamentally no better than what we had with the LCD game watches because of the small screen size. As it is, it's just easier to play a game on my phone, and it's not like I do that as much anymore either. In other words, watch gaming is pretty far down the list, and maybe at the bottom.

watch gaming seems really desperate, for someone to find a hole in the gaming market, with tablets/3DS and phones, there's no need, how long until someone brings back those tiger handhelds but with a emulator and rom inside

Edited by D.Daniels

Well, the Kickstarter is off to a roaring success, already out of the $99 Super Early Bird pricing option. Looking at what they have on it, it's reasonably appealing, especially for the price. It's not for me, because I already have an Apple Watch, but, if I didn't have it, I'd definitely be onboard. It looks like a worthy successor to the Pebble.

Games galore

Remember these kind of devices?

The one at the top was 'Shark Attack' and we played it 'til our fingertips were raw. Wearables aren't as new as we pretend....the possibilities have just gotten bigger.

You can play games anywhere. A couple of rocks, a stick and some imagination, and you can game. Since the early arcade days, and later TV consoles, platforms, mobiles.....every time a new technology comes along people discover new ways to adapt it for gaming. So when people see a Smartwatch and say that 'the screen is too small' to game on....we just see lack of imagination.

Play Atari Retro games like Astroids directly on your wrist.

It's not just about the screen (even if we made the Gameband screen the best it can be).....it's about movement, gestures, voice, steps, location and lots more. We believe that by building the right product, with the right technology and OS, partnered with great gaming studios.....you are going to see some amazing gaming experiences come to Gameband, and we can't wait to share them with you.

We'll be launching with these mini-games, with more to come in our stretch goals.

• Asteroids
  • Pong
  • Breakout
  • Centipede
  • Crystal Castles

I'm posting this because it's the main thing that still has my interest about this device. I like games and this thing plays games. But I do have one question: How?

There are no controls in evidence on this thing, so how do you control the ship in Asteroids? It mentions motion and voice, which would be hideous. Imagine being on the bus waving your arm around shouting "Shoot!Shoot!Shoot!Shoot!" It's possible this is where the smartphone link comes in and you can play with virtual buttons on that screen while awkwardly trying to look at your wrist, but that isn't in evidence here.

At the end of the day, this isn't a product that would interest me. Which is not to say I'm not interested in game watches. I used to have one back in the day.

game%20watch2.jpg

God, that was terrible. But I played the hell out of it.

I'd been thinking before these smartwatches came out that the next evolution would be to bring back watches, but I was thinking more of pocket watches.I could see the hipster kids latching onto the style of a pocket watch and it just seems to make more sense to me as a functional device, since to can still swipe and tap the screen with the thumb of the hand that's holding it but you still have the other hand if you need it.

It would make more sense as a gaming smartwatch if it had physical controls on the edge like a stopwatch.

stopwatch.jpg

Imagine if under the thumb was a d-pad, A and B buttons on the side under the first and second fingers. I think this would work. But that's not what Gameband is offering. So, oh well.

• Like 2

wow, those games look tiny.

how in the world are you supposed to play centipede and crystal castles on a watch.

you can barely play them on a phone, and yes, i've tried.

sorry, this whole thing is ridiculous.... but as a gimmick, and since there are other properties,

people will still buy it.

good luck, and let me know how that works out if anyone here gets it.

yes, pong would work... not interested in that.

later

I see that no one has actually linked to this kickstarter, LOL

They're trending so they'll exceed their goal comfortably, good for them, I suppose.

This isn't for me, yes of course it's a gimmick, but I confess I would give "Atari Red" a second glance (thought probably no money) if the Pebble or Apple Watch never existed.

I missed out on the $99 price. I thought this was the minecraft thing the story started with. I have a Pebble Classic, and it works for me except for the screen issue every now and then. This would have been a good replacement.

Probably would have backed at $99, but I can't see $150 (or $200 when they hit retail) when the first gen Apple watches can be had for just a little more.