IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Week 2 = Millipede

S.BAZ

I was having a hard time getting in the mood to play Atari this week, since I've been really wrapped up in playing through Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube and a couple new Game Boy Color games all week, but I did manage to make a couple hours of time to play Millipede tonight so I could get in a score for the week. And hey, I ended up doing a lot better than I was expecting and topped my all time high score in the process! :)

Millipede: 445,315

hjbFry8.jpg

Weekend Bonuses (Story & Picture)

Millipede is my second favorite bug-centric game from the 80's, but if I had to choose a #1 favorite it would unquestionably be Centipede. I've played countless hours of Centipede on all kinds of home consoles and handhelds over the years, but the original arcade version is definitely my favorite. It's one of those games that's so simple in it's premise but incredibly challenging, and when played on an arcade cabinet with an analog trackball the control is so smooth and precise that you can never blame the game when you lose. If you make a mistake it's never the fault of the game, because it gives you just the right tool needed to control it perfectly. That's something I really appreciate in a game, and a big part of why I'm always trying out high end custom controllers to see what works best. I like knowing that I'm playing with the best tool for the job, so if I make a mistake it's no one's fault by my own. That's not to say that Centipede can't be fun using a joystick or control pad though, since I do play the Game Boy Advance port of the arcade version of Centipede on the Atari Anniversary Advance collection with my GBA SP quite often and it's always a good time. The same goes for Centipede on the Atari 2600, 7800, PlayStation, Game Boy Color and so on. While it does play best with an analog trackball, Centipede is still a ton of fun no matter what the control setup; and I like it so much that when I decided to have a custom bartop sized 60-in-1 multicade made there was no doubt in my mind what machine I wanted it themed after. :D

vOnVWRc.jpg

• Like 2

I might be too late - had trouble getting the pic off my phone. Probably should have logged in with my phone and posted it.

Next time when you're pushing against that buzzer, go ahead and post the score just as text. Then go back and edit to upload the picture. The system logs the time of the post and the time of the edit. I'm sure the judges won't mind a little technical delay on the proof if the score is posted before deadline ...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...