IGNORED

Poll: What's your favorite Mario Kart?

What's your favorite Mario Kart?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Mario Kart? Vote and post!

• Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    • Mario Kart 64 (N64)
    • Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN)
    • Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA)
    • Mario Kart DS (DS)
    • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
    • Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    • Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I like the N64 Mario Kart. There's a trick or two you can use in it that I haven't seen work in other versions.

One that I remember, was how you pressed the accelerator in at the right exact time at start. Would get a hell of a boost right off the bat that way. Did the other versions not incorporate that feature? We used to call it the "Mario start" when it happened. :lol:

Yes others have it but it feels less dramatic when it is done. And it has been watered down because the impact of it vanished once they goofed with the hop-drift mini turbo junk. Early you could mainly do that just in corners, but it got to where they have it where it can be done anywhere turning it into a speed game if it wasn't for the rampant mario party level item abuse taking a lot of fun and strategy out of some of the games.

One that I remember, was how you pressed the accelerator in at the right exact time at start. Would get a hell of a boost right off the bat that way. Did the other versions not incorporate that feature? We used to call it the "Mario start" when it happened. :lol:

There's that one. The one I really like is, when you're in first place, and a first place shell comes after you, if you launch a shell you have, at just the right time it will block the first place shell and keep it from hitting you.

Edited by briwayjones

You can't do that in later releases though which really put me off playing Mario Kart much. Once the blue shell went aerial instead of ground based, you couldn't use a near perfectly timed rear shell/banana drop to deflect it. That's when the game left the realm of skill into random luck mario party antics. Don't get me wrong I like the franchise, and I'll still meddle with it some, mainly offline, but I can't tolerate it very long because of the distancing from a skill game with items, to a driving game where item randomness and rubberbanding super items for farther back drivers are the real winners.

You can't do that in later releases though which really put me off playing Mario Kart much. Once the blue shell went aerial instead of ground based, you couldn't use a near perfectly timed rear shell/banana drop to deflect it. That's when the game left the realm of skill into random luck mario party antics. Don't get me wrong I like the franchise, and I'll still meddle with it some, mainly offline, but I can't tolerate it very long because of the distancing from a skill game with items, to a driving game where item randomness and rubberbanding super items for farther back drivers are the real winners.

In the N64 version the blue shell is airborne and attacks you from the front. You can shoot a shell forward and if you time it just right you can shoot the blue shell and keep it from hitting you.

First one I ever played was the N64 version. My brother-in-law had it and he, my sister, and I used to play multiplayer and had quite a bit of fun.

Then I played Double Dash at a friends house and really enjoyed the idea of having two players in one vehicle... like team mates.

The next version I played was actually the SNES original. I got it when I got my SNES with a lot of games on ebay years back. It's okay, but I just never really got into it.

Then I got my DSiXL and got a copy of Mario Kart DS... it may have come with it, I don't remember now. I've probably actually played this one the most. It's a great diversion and something quick to play while "on the road"... ... ... at least until my hand cramps up.

The most recent Mario Kart game I've gotten is the Mario Kart Wii. I got it at the last Retropalooza in Dallas. I still haven't played it.

Which one did I vote for? Double Dash on the Gamecube. It's probably the one I've had the most fun playing, because I played it the most with friends, so it's the one I have the most fond memories of.

The lack of arena mode on MK8 ruins couch co-op for it. We still play MKDD for both the racing and the battle mode arenas. It's like they built it for local multi-player, where MK8 seems more geared towards online multi-player. Shame as it's a great single player game, just the local multiplayer is sadly lacking.

The most annoying thing about that is that they've been restored in the Switch port, but not patched back in on the Wii U. F**k you very much Nintendo :(

Edited by juansolo

In the N64 version the blue shell is airborne and attacks you from the front. You can shoot a shell forward and if you time it just right you can shoot the blue shell and keep it from hitting you.

Shows how long it has been since I played it. I just recall you could deflect it. Games going post around 2001~ I think they removed it so you just had to take the hit which really wrecked the dynamics and fun of it.

I voted for the 64 version. Had a lot of fun with it. I actually haven't played a whole lot of them. I tried the Wii one but didn't like the motion controls for it. Maybe you could use the classic controller but I didn't own one at the time.

My daughter has the DS version and it's pretty good but I'm not very good at it.

Shows how long it has been since I played it. I just recall you could deflect it. Games going post around 2001~ I think they removed it so you just had to take the hit which really wrecked the dynamics and fun of it.

Are you thinking of how you could instead of firing a shell or banana peel you could hold it behind you and it would block it if someone shot a shell at you? I liked that too. You know now that I think about it, that doesn't work anymore on the Wii version does it? The Wii version is really the only other version I've played.

Are you thinking of how you could instead of firing a shell or banana peel you could hold it behind you and it would block it if someone shot a shell at you? I liked that too. You know now that I think about it, that doesn't work anymore on the Wii version does it? The Wii version is really the only other version I've played.

Yes that's what I was thinking of. I knew you could also release it just didn't remember if it was ahead or back to whack the blue shell of cheapness into the gutter. I can't recall if they dropped it on Gamecube or the Wii, but they did remove it making the blue shell a shitty gimp to cheap people with as it's invincible. Originally the blue shell was designed much like the red one, a missile to take out the guy ahead, but in its case the guy in first...but it was something like the red shell while tricky could be deflected. Now it's a cheap revenge stunt to hurt someone in first from someone butthurt 4 karts back who has no chance of making the lead.

Yes that's what I was thinking of. I knew you could also release it just didn't remember if it was ahead or back to whack the blue shell of cheapness into the gutter. I can't recall if they dropped it on Gamecube or the Wii, but they did remove it making the blue shell a shitty gimp to cheap people with as it's invincible. Originally the blue shell was designed much like the red one, a missile to take out the guy ahead, but in its case the guy in first...but it was something like the red shell while tricky could be deflected. Now it's a cheap revenge stunt to hurt someone in first from someone butthurt 4 karts back who has no chance of making the lead.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember launching the blue shell (we always called it the spike) while I was in first, and have it go in the air then come down and hit me!

A more common maneuver for cheap dick-ness is to drop behind your opponent right before a specials box, then nail him with your better special. That's why if it was just you and another guy you'd invariably race with the other 6 AI racers to even it out, otherwise it's just a steal the special shitfest.

Mario Kart 64 for sure, way too many fond memories associated with this game.

I remember going over to my friends house and playing this on a projector in his backyard. Good times, haha.

in his backyard? wow you must live somewhere nice and sunny, it rains too much in the UK to use a projector outside, even in the summer :( lol

even a swimming pool here would get dirty too much unless you cover the pool

Edited by D.Daniels