IGNORED

Joystick for Intellivision?

Denicio

What say ye about 3rd party Joysticks?

I remember getting one back in the 80's and not digging it.

My wife is not crazy about the disc (she's a 2600 gal) so in order to get her to play some astrosmash with me i need a joystick for her. Are there any joysticks out there that i can add to the controller that are worth a darn?

Dennis

Best to go with a snap on type stick or the kind the replace the disc on the controller. Like the Skiil-Stix - you disassemble the controller remove disc and put it back together. Having a Sears or Intellivision II you can get an extra joystick and leave one set up for your wife.

I don't recommend these prices but -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Discwasher-POINTMASTER-Quik-Stik-Rugged-ABS-Plastic-Joy-Stick-Adapter-/122295743714?hash=item1c7964f4e2:g:gn8AAOSw5cNYXeuk

During my original Intellivision days I bought a couple joysticks for cheap. It's been too long to remember the company, but the stick looked like a giant chess pawn that stuck to the disc. Simple solution and it improved my control comfort and accuracy immensely. Wish I could find those now...

Edited by snarfo

You should be able to make a simple passive adapter to make original atari style or sega genesis controllers work for up to four directions [and one action button]. For games that need eight or 16 directions you would need a more complex adapter. Its easier if your Intellivision has DE-9 connectors but also possible with the original Intellivision design.

Edited by mr_me

I wouldn't recommend it over the Intellivision controller, but there's this:

wicocommandcontrol2.jpg

I have the Coleco version and I hate it. It's one of the least-comfortable controllers I've ever used for any system. Bulky, extremely uncomfortable fire buttons, joystick is too tall and awkwardly placed so the whole thing torques around in your hand...the keypad is great by itself, but has actual buttons that would chew up any overlays you put in it.

Amiga also advertised their keypad-equipped PowerStik controller as being available for the Intellivision, but I've never actually seen one. I've got a broken Coleco one, and imagine that (provided it worked) it would actually be an ideal controller for the Intellivision.

• Like 1

There was only 1 3rd-party full-on joystick made for the Intellivision: the Wico Command Control. It is terrible. The keypad buttons require too much distance to press down. The side buttons require too much pressure and have no tactile feedback. The spring in the joystick makes moving it side-to-side to twist the base out of your hands.

However, if you want learn more, go here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221762-the-missing-manual-for-the-wico-command-control

Edit: BassGuitari posted his just before me. :)

• Like 2

I agree, honestly the standard controller is really the best option overall for the Intellivision. If you can't deal with them, then the system probably just isn't for you.

IMO the fundamental problem with the Intellivision controller isn't the disc at all, anyway. It's simply an awkward design overall. The impression it gives is that it was designed to look good and fit into the console first, and then actually work second. The most glaring problem to me is the tiny, mushy fire buttons that are practically recessed into the sides of the controller. And I'm essentially convinced that there is no good way to integrate a keypad into a game controller, but I won't fault Mattel for that since they were among the first to even try it.

The Intellivision II controller is often criticized but I actually prefer it since it feels a little more substantial (at least on the edges; the middle is still hollowed out to allow the cord to tuck under it when stowed in the console), the "fire buttons" (which actually aren't buttons at all but rather touch-sensitive nubs) are sensitive and easier to actuate, and I have to look down at the keypad even with the System I/III/Super Pro's bubble keypad, so the Intellivision II's flat keypad is a non-issue for me.

Essentially, no joystick upgrades or disc replacements actually address what, to me, are the real problems with the controller. And the Wico is actually worse.

[/$0.02]

Thanks again to all for your replies and insight. The joystick is for the wife and not me. its the only way i can con her into IntelliTime with me :-)

So while the Joystick may not be for those of us who grew up with it...for her it will give her the 2600ness enough to play some games with me.

Personally, i love the disc!!!!

Edited by Denicio

For your wife, I recommend permanently replacing the disc with a Stickler or maybe a glue-on joystick (glues onto the disc). These ones are more solid. The temporary clip-on joysticks always feel to rickety to me.

Just as an FYI, there are several brands of Stickler-like joysticks that replace the disc. Stickler is just the most common brand.

For your wife, I recommend permanently replacing the disc with a Stickler or maybe a glue-on joystick (glues onto the disc). These ones are more solid. The temporary clip-on joysticks always feel to rickety to me.

Just as an FYI, there are several brands of Stickler-like joysticks that replace the disc. Stickler is just the most common brand.

Where can i find the stickler or other brands like it? So far google searches have lead me no where.

I built converters for Atari 2600 joysticks and trackballs back in the 80s. Try Worm Whom with a trackball. :) I almost always use the disc, but hey... sometimes a joystick is nice.

I doubt very seriously she will get into the nerdier games we adore but i think she will enjoy some Astrosmash and Lock N Chase that could benefit from a joystick. Right?

The Intellivision II and Sears Intellivisions have DE-9 connectors for the controllers. Its the same physical connector as the Atari, Colecovision, Commodore 64, Sega Genesis and others but none of the other systems controllers are pin compatible with Intellivision.

During my original Intellivision days I bought a couple joysticks for cheap. It's been too long to remember the company, but the stick looked like a giant chess pawn that stuck to the disc. Simple solution and it improved my control comfort and accuracy immensely. Wish I could find those now...

Hi, Did they look anything like these?

post-36757-0-14692400-1485810303_thumb.jpgpost-36757-0-34051900-1485810304_thumb.jpg

The Stickers replace the disc (literally need to take apart the controller, remove the disc, etc.) so no popping out... problem with them though is that they have a tendency to stick to the edges during use. When they say Stick with the Stickler, they ain't kidding! :lol:

Too wide a throw before actuation also. I'd imagine those red ball sticks above might be a little nicer that way.