IGNORED

BASIC 10Liners 2017

Bunsen

Here are the results of this year's BASIC 10liners contest live from NOMAM convention in Lübeck. Stay tuned for the full results.

PUR-80

1. Man-Up /Atari 800 XL /Eric Henneke /7.20

2. Dementia 1.3 /MSX /NYYRIKKI /6.80

2. Descend /Atari 800 XL /Kevin Savetz /6.80

PUR-120

1. Minipede /Atari 800 XL /Victor Parada and Kevin Savetz /9.60

2. Interceptor /Atari 800 XL /Jeff Piepmeier /9.20

3. Streamweaver: Head2Head /Atari 800 XL /Eric Henneke /9.00

EXTREM-256

1. Space Ranger /Atari 800 XL /Victor Parada /9.80

2. Decipede /Atari 800 XL /Victor Parada and Kevin Savetz /8.80

3. Rogue Descender /Amstrad CPC /Graham Briggs /7.80

• Like 16

The contest is over! On Saturday evening at NOMAM convention, we were able to announce and present the winners of this year's competition. The programmers have again created incredible with very limited resources. Thanks to all programmers! Just madness!

You can find the results and downloads on the competition page (or in the next ABBUC magazine).
http://gkanold.wixsite.com/homeputerium/basic-10liners-2017

• Like 6

Here are the results of this year's BASIC 10liners contest live from NOMAM convention in Lübeck. Stay tuned for the full results.

PUR-80

1. Man-Up /Atari 800 XL /Eric Henneke /7.20

2. Dementia 1.3 /MSX /NYYRIKKI /6.80

2. Descend /Atari 800 XL /Kevin Savetz /6.80

PUR-120

1. Minipede /Atari 800 XL /Victor Parada and Kevin Savetz /9.60

2. Interceptor /Atari 800 XL /Jeff Piepmeier /9.20

3. Streamweaver: Head2Head /Atari 800 XL /Eric Henneke /9.00

EXTREM-256

1. Space Ranger /Atari 800 XL /Victor Parada /9.80

2. Decipede /Atari 800 XL /Victor Parada and Kevin Savetz /8.80

3. Rogue Descender /Amstrad CPC /Graham Briggs /7.80

Quite the language that Turbo BASIC XL 1.5 & very concise! :o Graham has done extremely well to get an Amstrad game on that list! :D

Was impressed with that Man-Up video, I'm assuming that was done in Real Time.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all participants! :)

If you just want the Atari entries, download "menu17.atr", it contains all titles and a little menu to load them.

Something's wrong with "Splatari" game version in that ATR: the players are 4 times wider there than in the official Jeff Piepmeier's version...

• Like 1

Quite the language that Turbo BASIC XL 1.5 & very concise! :o Graham has done extremely well to get an Amstrad game on that list! :D

Was impressed with that Man-Up video, I'm assuming that was done in Real Time.

Yes, that Man-Up video is all real time based on the final PUR-80 version.

TBXL is indeed very fast and compact.

Actually, the original code I did for Man-up (which did not fit into PUR-80) was even faster, but as I fit the code down to PUR-80 size it slowed it down just a little. I think it actually made the game more playable and fun at the final PUR-80 version speed though.

Yes, that Man-Up video is all real time based on the final PUR-80 version.

TBXL is indeed very fast and compact.

Actually, the original code I did for Man-up (which did not fit into PUR-80) was even faster, but as I fit the code down to PUR-80 size it slowed it down just a little. I think it actually made the game more playable and fun at the final PUR-80 version speed though.

I thought that might of been the case and it's using Hardware Sprites for the animation?

Yes I ended up submitting 5 games for the BASIC 10Liners Compo for the Amstrad CPCs, hadn't done that before (usually I'm coding in Pascal). Just because of the way Locomotive BASIC is, PUR-80 would be quite difficult, I think I've seen the simplest of Hangman type game being done in 10 Lines of 80 characters, but I can't think of anything else apart from EgoTrip's Sketch program. "IF" statements can only cease at the end of a line, though they can be used to carry out different operations with variables, GOSUBs...RETURNs which usually leads to an EXTREM-256 program :D Hardware Sprites don't exist on the early CPCs & I never had a CPC Plus to play with. There is emulation, though I wouldn't know if it was correctly performing from the Real Hardware, some people say the Hardware Sprites on the Plus aren't what their cracked up to be. So many Amstrad 10 Liners would resort to Machine Code back in the day to make programs look impressive. :D

I would love it if some of these awesome BASIC coders wrote 10 line versions in 2600 BASIC! :)

I'm sure it could be hard. I've seen your listings and I didn't understand a word!!! I feel it's necesary to understand the 2600 HW very well before trying to code for it.

BTW, I was thinking to port one of my new games to Mad Pascal, as Tebe did with Invaders.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

BTW, I was thinking to port one of my new games to Mad Pascal, as Tebe did with Invaders.

Great idea, did it with basic game skyscrapers and it was fun. At the time MP had no 2D arrays so it was not very elegant, but now you can have basically everything basic has, faster and prettier.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, my prize for Space Ranger arrived some days ago!

It's a collector's box edition of Rain of Terror. :-D

As it is a very nice packged version of the game, sealed with a thermal film, I did a small survey with some friends and it won the option of not to open it. Well, not yet!

For some weeks, it'll be exhibited at my office:

post-20192-0-79968700-1498515572.jpg

If someone wants to know what that package contains, just see the unboxing therealbountybob did in ROT's thread.

Thank you, guys!!!

• Like 5

The RoT Box is a donation from Eric. Thanks, Eric, for you donation. I was a liitle bit lazy with collecting prizes this year. Only first places got prizes. Victor got the RoT Box and an ABBUC 25 years anniversary mug, Eric marzipan and a mug and Kevin marzipan and a mug.

If you like to donate a prize for next year's BASIC 10Liners contest, do not hesitate to contact me.

• Like 3