IGNORED

4464 ram chips for ATARI 600 XL MOD :-)

repetto74

Hello guys,

I would like to perform the 64k mod on my ATARI 600XL and for this I am looking for a couple of 4464 DIL18 Ram chips or equivalent. Does anyone knows where to buy this for a decent price? If someone has some to sell I can pay chips + postage with Paypal. :-)

Many thanks in advance

Rick

PS : found a vendor in UK who is selling 41464 ram chips and stating those are equivalent to the 4464 series.

To take it a bit further, if you use Antonia + Bryan's superb and relatively inexpensive video adapter, you get a killer 600XL with very little effort. And unlike U1MB (for me and some others), Antonia is not picky about the computer it goes in -- and no video issues, either, that I've seen. Lot's of folks still prefer U1MB, but for me Antonia has more advantages. (And I do have both.)

-Larry

• Like 2

Ok Guys,

I did the 64k mod with the 41464 and they just work like a charm! :-)

I was scared as it is ages I did not take a soldering iron in my hand but I managed to dit a decent job. I still need to insulate wirings I just tested it on the fly and the SELFTEST will give 48k of Ram so I am good to go. It is not very nice to the eye yes I agree but who cares :-). I am fine with a 64k I do not think I will need more to run most of the programs released during the machine lifespan but I am fairly interested to know more about those extra ram expansion. Any docs?

Cheers,

Rick

PS : Sorry for the picture size, it is very large I forgot to resize it. At least you can see in detail how shity I am in soldering :grin: :grin:

EDIT : Ok I have seen this U1MB board, looks expensive anyway. I do not see for me at least the reason to upgrade an old 8bit computer with MB's of memory.

post-37196-0-52097100-1486830955_thumb.jpg

Edited by repetto74

I don't recall the docs that Larry is talking about, only upgrade I know of for the 600XL

is to the full 64K. And if I ever went down that road I would be re-wiring the system

to become more 800XL like in it's address multiplexing so that additional memory

add ons might work better.

At any rate, general texts on how to do is here

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/Extension/Memory%20Upgrade/

And schematics only are here

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/Extension/Ram%20Extensions/