IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

RETROBLOX IS THE WORLDS FIRST MODULAR AND FULLY-MODERNIZED RETRO GAME CONSOLE

Whether youre a retro games enthusiast, or a more casual gamer wanting to try out the genuine article, RetroBlox is the #1 way to enjoy a deep and satisfying retro gaming experience in your living room without the mess of wires and clutter.

An industry first, RETROBLOX ships with an on-board CD/DVD optical drive, custom produced by partner Hitachi LG Data Services (HLDS) to support the needs and features of retro game consoles. It allows you to experience the full lineup of disc games for never-before supported systems such as PSX, Sega CD, TurboGrafx-CD, and more.

Another key innovation introduced by RETROBLOX are modular interfaces, called Element Modules ¹, which allow for play using original video game cartridges and controllers from older game systems. Once a game cartridge is inserted into an Element Module, players can add the game to their digital collection, share their new addition on Facebook or Twitter, or play and stream via Twitch and YouTube. Changing games and systems is as easy as ejecting the current module and inserting another.

1080P FULL HD RESOLUTION RETRO GAMING

RETROBLOX natively upscales retro games from their original resolution to full HD 1080p, perfect for your living room. While crystal clear pixels are a joy to view for some players, those who prefer the older look of older TVs from the 70s, 80s and 90s will appreciate a suite of virtual displays which model the look, feel, geometry and tone of these classic displays from gamings past.

HYBRID EMULATION TAKES RETRO GAMING FURTHER

RETROBLOX features new patent-pending technology called Hybrid Emulation, which allows for the direct hardware reading of specialized chips and mappers contained within historically difficult-to-emulate retro game cartridges. This means gamers get full hardware compatibility with every game in their classic games library, and unparalleled performance to boot.

If controller lag is your enemy, Hybrid Emulation technology also allows for the highest speed possible while using classic retro game controllers connected directly to RETROBLOX Element Modules. In this mode you can obtain near lag-free speeds² for controller input, allowing casual and competitive players to push their skills to new heights.

THERES MORE TO COME

This gag has literally been around for decades. :lolblue:

• Like 3

The CD stuff is nice, but what will this cost with all the modules? $999.99? And I also have to ask like others, why is another Kickstarter needed? Retro-Bit, RetroUSB, whatever, they don't need KS. Personally yeah I'd be very interested in this. But I'd rather just wait until the thing comes out for sure.

Edited by Greg2600

Couldn't stop myself from commenting. He said we should "hold off on having a strong opinion," which is all well and good... but this was five minutes after he was telling us how great it's going to be.

This is not a good guy. I mean, obviously, but c'mon. Can't wait to "learn" that CollectorVision is selling Tiny Knight on their digital storefront.

• Like 1

I'd be happy if someone made cart slots that I could hook directly to my Raspberry Pi, and play from there.

They're not making these anymore, but I'll bet you could still get one. Seems like the long way around if you're just going to run emulators, though -- why not just use a ROM file?

http://retrode.com

http://forum.retrode.org/index.php?topic=333.0

Remember, don't have strong opinions on things, but do be swayed by shill-ly hype, hyping things shill-ly. But it's okay to have an opinion.

So shilly. I can't sit through any of these ... it's like people can't think for themselves. Sad!

• Like 3

Yeah, that's a huge red flag. Always be wary of people asking for money while telling you to lower your expectations.

I'm sorry to be so dismissive, but once your project goes public, people are going to have opinions. As the project captain, it's your job to make sure the project is strong enough to create favorable opinions. But the opinion are coming either way, sparky.

The sad thing is, the Coleco scandal is less than a year old, and would have been an invaluable lesson for anyone trying to go this route.

• Like 3

Heya, first post here.

Some of you may know me from #NESdev, #GBdev, #N64dev, AssemblerGames, etc

As I have founded a company, that has developed competitor product to this, that actually has a functioning prototype with much more support; I'll add my two cents.

There's some niche market needs to these types of "in the middle" machines (meaning, these these types of systems that aren't just running roms into an emu, nor running the cart natively, thus middle). A lot of people have a nostalgic connection to the exact cartridges that they have spent many hours on, mainly because of SRAM data. Being able to continue your saved game, load up ghost data, and more, is a great thing (unless the batteries are dead).

However, I have some strong professional doubts about this "RetroBlox" console, due to the things I've learned while actually forming a business to produce my product. I'll touch on these a bit later, as I don't want to be outright attacking these guys, but so far, I don't see any feasibility within their company.

My two cents. Happy to finally be a part of AtariAge. Saying "Hello" from Hong Kong.

-Lyth

They're not making these anymore, but I'll bet you could still get one. Seems like the long way around if you're just going to run emulators, though -- why not just use a ROM file?

http://retrode.com

http://forum.retrode.org/index.php?topic=333.0

So shilly. I can't sit through any of these ... it's like people can't think for themselves. Sad!

• Like 9

That's why you go with x86 in a medium/small formfactor PC. It is a genuine clutter reducer. And there likely going to be room in there to build-in an R-Pi to fill in the spots not covered by "traditional" emulators. X86 is the gold standard anyways, why would you want anything less? Farting around with these one-off specialized kickstarter jobbers and stuff.. not for me.

• Like 1