IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

I guess this is what I meant when I asked what we would accept as a prototype. There's not enough info here for us to give a thumbs up (or down) to, When we talk about transparency, this is the sort of thing we mean.

DON'T FORM ANY STRONG OPINIONS (unless I tell you it's gonna be great, first.).

https://www.gamesir.hk/?p=1&a=view&r=9

Well, with any luck, that would mean (if it's legit) then it can be configured to use any stock Bluetooth and/or USB gamepad. Definite plus.

Retrobit Generations came with shoddy pads and could not be reconfigured to work with 3rd party USB controllers. Hopefully if it's USB, everything will be fully remappable and customizable, but with a less clunky interface than how the Retrofreak handled it. Remapping in that system was a PITA as I had to create duplicate controller profiles for each system.

has anyone spotted mike kennedy peaking out behind a column, or a wall corner. Hiding behind a table etc..?

If MK has half a brain's worth of common sense, he should take notes from Retroblox. Nothing fishy enough to raise alarms yet, and a prototype that obviously gets the point across, even if the internals are unknown. Hell even a Raspberry Pi derivative could be a kick ass system with the right software, open sourced or not. I can easily see paying $60 ($80 with included console plugin) for an emulator console with CDROM access, then $20 a piece for various console addons.

• Like 2

Here's a brief video someone posted of the booth. Doesn't really show much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQG372tFwXhKoxbp0NakGFxhdQhT1pImpqOL-g0/

Isn't that Mega Man X2? I don't see a SNES cart in the console.

Unless it's using the GameCube attachment and playing on the X Collection disc. If not, then that would be another indication that it's all running off internal software, defeating the purpose it was built for and supporting the conclusion that it's all 'smoke and mirrors' as they say.

• Like 5

I just watched it again and it worked for me.

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

If you are following the person you'll be able to see it. My question is, was the account non private before and after posting the video became private?

If you are not following the person you are not allow to see his videos or pictures.

Seems to be this:

Ugh, standard Chinese OEM gamepad. These are a dime-a-dozen here. I've seen the types of factories that make these things. Meh.

I'm surprised they didn't go with a higher quality gamepad, as many exist on the market. These OEM ones are damn low quality, and usually lack certification (no CE or UL or RohS), or have false markings on them. Doesn't mean this one is going that route, but it's possible.

I've lived in China for 4 or 5 years, and have even worked a little bit of time in OEM exporting. Most of this stuff is manufactured without longevity, quality, or customers in mind.

I'm curious about the actual specs and console supported list. There's not much reason why they couldn't tell us that, even if it's tentative.

Edit: Did they even show off their patent pending(?) hybrid emulation technology or even disc swaps? Or heck, did they even show off them interacting with hardware?

Edited by Lyth
  • Like 1

Heh heh

If this comes in under 3x those prices, I will eat my entire collection of RETRO Magazine!

Ha! I was basing this on the cost of an R-Pi ($40) plus USB CDROM ($20) but didn't think to factor in the shell.

Let's see, systems I bought new with CD-ROMs in them: the Game Cube $100 in 2004, a PS2 Super Slim, also $100, a couple years after Wii came out, and of course the Wii Mini was $100, but I couldn't be arsed to buy such a gimped system.

So a console based around mobile or years old tech with a CDROM drive could definitely cost $100 or less. But I'm getting weary of emulator boxes...

• Like 1

The Pi is built to be cheap, and general purpose, and the software is free, never intending to turn a profit.

The others are are mainstream consoles from giant multinational corporations, often sold at cost or at a loss to establish a toehold in the marketplace. Losses on hardware are offset by profits on software. "Give away the razor, sell the blades."

Retroblox is a bespoke hobbybox from one dude with few resources. Presumably he'd want something back for their R&D, custom cases, and software layer, and wouldn't be selling at cost. They've talked about a digital store, but it would be crazy to count on that to offset the costs of hardware.

Assuming this isn't a Chameleonesque fraud, I'm thinking pricing would more resemble Retro Freak, which is $209 from PlayAsia for the main box, more for add-on modules.

"Simple as that."

The Pi is built to be cheap, and general purpose, and the software is free, never intending to turn a profit.

The others are are mainstream consoles from giant multinational corporations, often sold at cost or at a loss to establish a toehold in the marketplace. Losses on hardware are offset by profits on software. "Give away the razor, sell the blades."

Retroblox is a bespoke hobbybox from one dude with few resources. Presumably he'd want something back for their R&D, custom cases, and software layer, and wouldn't be selling at cost. They've talked about a digital store, but it would be crazy to count on that to offset the costs of hardware.

Assuming this isn't a Chameleonesque fraud, I'm thinking pricing would more resemble Retro Freak, which is $209 from PlayAsia for the main box, more for add-on modules.

"Simple as that."

It's time for some fresh hardware that doesn't primarily run off a Pi. ;)

• Like 1