IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

So I listened to about the first half of the RGB interview. They shouldve just stuck with an FPGA TG-16 console. I wouldve been excited for that

It's cute how, in the early days of the RetroBlox, TG-16 compatibility was supposed to be their sexiest feature. The more they started to lean on disc compatibility, that was quietly downplayed. Eventually, the line became "Eh, TG-16 is no big deal, wouldn't benefit from FPGA anyway."

As the project has moved forward, the claims have gone from "Perfect accuracy for all your old systems, over HDMI!" to "Well, we can play Saturn games without them totally sucking. For the most part."

It perplexes me how anyone thinks this is worth $300 or more.

• Like 2

The new "pre-order" for Polymega is up, although from all the technical glitches they are having they learned nothing from the previous pre-order fiasco. Just before it went up, they had this post:

PolyMegaPreOrder1

Followed by this

PolyMegaPreOrder3

You would think after all the warnings bells that people might be a little more cautious, but then you see replies like this:

PolyMegaPreOrder2

"clear and consistent"?
. 19789999.jpg

Edited by atm94404
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Their twitter says they will be at e3, and that the device is targeted for late summer 2019 "so long as the supply opens up for the Intel chips."

I'm not even sure they need to use the "Chinese New Year" gambit anymore. He design has been so downgraded that there's no longer any need to doubt it can be excreted on schedule.

In my eyes, the PolyMega that is delivered is a seperate project that was designed to be underwhelming. The original system, that got all the attention and buzz, was cancelled and is still as impossible/impractical as we ever said it was.

• Like 5

The have a lot of gall doing another preorder for this. $650 for the entire set. One could get a lot for $650 that can do much more....

Yea a $35 Raspberry Pi and setting up Retro Pi is all most of us need as we already have various controllers, electronic/computer parts, cases, cords for the Pi.

Edited by thetick1

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's how it'll be remembered. The official keepers of history have erased any mention of FPGA and hybrid emulation from their archives, and the truth will live apocryphally by oral tradition, passed from generation to generation by the campfire. Or something.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's how it'll be remembered. The official keepers of history have erased any mention of FPGA and hybrid emulation from their archives, and the truth will live apocryphally by oral tradition, passed from generation to generation by the campfire. Or something.

There seems to be a need to spin the change as a "refinement" of the original vision, rather than scrapping it entirely and stating over with a YAEB in a pretty case.

Personally, I think the other shoe is going to drop when the digital storefront attempts to go live, which might also be when the angel investors start looking for a payback. When PolyMega stops needing clicks and starts needing actual customers, I see it failing as fast as ouya-- possibly faster, given the higher cost of entry.

• Like 1

Ouya had a higher perch from which to fall, and it lasted like 7 years. I'm not someone who worries about losing access to digital media, but that's only because I buy games from joints that I think will stay around for a long time, professional places like Steam, GOG, Apple, Nintendo ... not upstart shitgibbons who start slap fights on Twitter over unreleased vaporware.

When I think retrobolox I think stance cars and speedbumps.

The original name, Polymega, had me thinking that it is the name of some weird foot fungus or warts on the hands.

So these jokers and Atari SA are "supposed to be at E3". Maybe they will have a meeting of the masterminds of vaporware or of crap that does not solve problems in the market or fill a need. Could be interesting or just more taco posts and memes.

(sorry for ninja edits... can't type today)

Edited by cybercylon

I was real hopeful for this until I heard about emulation. If the main part of the system was FPGA and all the add ons were for each respective system(s), that'd be pretty cool.

Their original sell was FPGA in the base before they switched to emulation only, although they claim future individual modules may have FPGA - I'll believe it when I see it.

Which has reminded me about Genesis J Cartridges (contoller ports for player 3 and 4 built into the cart). They claimed back in FPGA/Hybrid emulation days thay they would work - but of course they wont as there's no active cartridge reading.

So they won't be playable "properly" but maybe will work with 2 cordless and 2 wired controllers.

E3 will tell - it's boom or bust for them - they either blow my socks off or I'm gone.

• Like 1