IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

33 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

The install base will be miniscule, tho'.

That's the thing, I think that the original Retroblox pitch was ridiculous and what is finally being offered makes no sense for anytjing to buy.

But if they want to be a "me too," platform for homebrew rom distribution , it makes sense for homebrew publishers as long as they don't pay anything upfont and don't lose more than 10% from each sale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

That's the thing, I think that the original Retroblox pitch was ridiculous and what is finally being offered makes no sense for anytjing to buy.

But if they want to be a "me too," platform for homebrew rom distribution , it makes sense for homebrew publishers as long as they don't pay anything upfont and don't lose more than 10% from each sale.

This is why it's so infuriating that Poly has taken the approach of "We don't have to worry about the consumer, we have angel investors and we're seeking corporate buyers."  All that was predicated on the system having a large enough install base that developers would support it.  Having a large enough install base was predicated on average consumers wanting it.  Average consumers wanting it was predicated on the system offering something of value... and not being treated like lemmings.

Instead, we had three years of Bryan saying "Just buy it.  It does all the stuff gooder."  Meanwhile, other companies release products that do the same tasks better and cheaper, with no ecosystem, accessory costs, or online leashes.  

But hey, Playmaji can keep blocking people on Twitter.  I'm sure that'll solve all their problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, godslabrat said:

This is why it's so infuriating that Poly has taken the approach of "We don't have to worry about the consumer, we have angel investors and we're seeking corporate buyers."  All that was predicated on the system having a large enough install base that developers would support it.  Having a large enough install base was predicated on average consumers wanting it.  Average consumers wanting it was predicated on the system offering something of value... and not being treated like lemmings.

Instead, we had three years of Bryan saying "Just buy it.  It does all the stuff gooder."  Meanwhile, other companies release products that do the same tasks better and cheaper, with no ecosystem, accessory costs, or online leashes.  

But hey, Playmaji can keep blocking people on Twitter.  I'm sure that'll solve all their problems.

The whole point of this is money sink is to swap in and out physical media readers, so that the end user can have the satisfaction believing they're "really" playing their physical games.

These are the kind of people who only buy CIB copies of homebrew and don't like rom sales.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

The whole point of this is money sink is to swap in and out physical media readers, so that the end user can have the satisfaction believing they're "really" playing their physical games.

These are the kind of people who only buy CIB copies of homebrew and don't like rom sales.

Which would be fine if it were priced like the Retron5 it's really competing with.  In the past 3 years, FPGA has gotten better and prices on hardware have dropped.  Functionally, the R-Blo is on the lower end of the performance scale in 2020, and should be priced accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a month since beta testers have been picked for the Polymega, three weeks since our last "major update" (boxes and retail availability, little more), and two weeks since we've had any meaningful discussion around this thing. As of 8 hours ago, ModernVintageGamer has confirmed that he still hasn't received a unit, and just about everyone else who got accepted have seemingly said the same if they get asked.

What gets me is that the day after the aforementioned big announcement, Polymega's Twitter was straight up asked what the new features they made a passing mention of are? Their response:

I wish I had more to say, but what exactly is preventing Playmaji from revealing new features of the device if there are supposed to be test drivers of the device getting their units in the near future, and within the next two weeks see both brick and mortar and online retail release of the console? But, hey, what do I know; so long as they say just enough to keep the Ponzi scheme going for a little longer, people will keep buying in.

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 1

I just checked Twitter, and literally half an hour ago:

Just as I guessed, MVG and other major names (AKA influencers) are among the first to get units. Funny that we're almost at the ETA for when the second group of beta test units were supposed to ship, but hey I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with this current time since most shipping channels are currently heavily delayed and/or slowed to a crawl. With less than a week before the general public should be able to purchase these things, what changes or fixes are they hoping to implement during this time?

EDIT: just worth noting, despite the fact that Wal-Mart is the exclusive NA online retailer for the Polymega right now, there's not even a page for it on Wal-Mart's website. The Atari VCS, a continually delayed console that's almost certainly vaporware, has a page, but a console that is releasing in six days doesn't.

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 1

The "beta" is going to have to be a strictly software thing.  They're letting the early birds catch bugs so they can be patched.  This is not a bad thing by itself.

Less comforting is that it feels like the plan is to send it to influencers, in the hope that they will rave over it and drum up pre-orders, as if Playmaji can't ship the rest on the funds they have.  It's not clear that's the case, but there's no other scenario I've heard that explains their behavior.

What if playmaji just plain can't afford to make a second batch?  And further, can't afford to issue refunds? What if the YouTubers get the thing, and basically say "It's a really fancy Retron not worth the money"?  

I'm glad people are getting them, I don't want to see people waste their cash.  I'm still just very skeptical this will be viable once it gets out into the real world.

4 hours ago, godslabrat said:

What if the YouTubers get the thing, and basically say "It's a really fancy Retron not worth the money"?

They don't have to; I played the prototype last year when they brought it to Super Potato, so I can already tell you that. It's a really overpriced emulator box that's not worth the money. You like Kega Fusion? Good, because that's what it's using for Genesis/Mega Drive games. A modified 64-bit version of it, but it's still Kega Fusion.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

They don't have to; I played the prototype last year when they brought it to Super Potato, so I can already tell you that. It's a really overpriced emulator box that's not worth the money. You like Kega Fusion? Good, because that's what it's using for Genesis/Mega Drive games. A modified 64-bit version of it, but it's still Kega Fusion.

I fully expect some of the Tubers they sent it to will be the type who will be impressed as heck if lights blink when they turn it on.  Hopefully the rest are able to weigh it against other options out there.

3 hours ago, godslabrat said:

I fully expect some of the Tubers they sent it to will be the type who will be impressed as heck if lights blink when they turn it on.  Hopefully the rest are able to weigh it against other options out there.

The thing is just way too expensive for its own good. There are 2 things that I would be interested in it for: light guns on modern screens and not having to deal with the Saturn's 6 million funky resolutions on the OSSC. I got a Trinitron a few months ago, though, so I don't need this thing at all. Is it cool and does it work? Sure, but it's definitely not for me, especially with that price, and because it's just an emulator box I imagine a lot of people will not be interested, especially considering the price.

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Someone got grouchy with me a few pages back when I suggested just getting a low end PC with an optical drive to do pretty much the same thing. I would still suggest that over this. Any potato PC is fine... HDMI out and you are good to go with your TV.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

Someone got grouchy with me a few pages back when I suggested just getting a low end PC with an optical drive to do pretty much the same thing. I would still suggest that over this. Any potato PC is fine... HDMI out and you are good to go with your TV.

Well, there are a few specific use cases for this thing if you do not have a CRT, as I mentioned. I did forget to mention that it does support original controllers, which is something that's important for me and maybe for others.

I do question their 6 button PC Engine controller, as they should have gone with the more useful 3 button instead. Even better would be if they could make a 6 button PC Engine controller that can actually be used as the Avenue Pad 3, since there is currently no controller that I am aware of that can actually do that. Just 2 button or 6 button mode only. I think the thing needs an adaptor for PC Engine controllers and I do not have any TurboGrafx controllers, though.

You'd also need an adaptor for original controllers on a PC emulator unless you want to use the keyboard like I used to do before the release of the PS3, although you could use a PC Engine mini controller, Genesis/Mega Drive Mini controller, or a PS3/PS4 controller since they connect using USB. The Retro-Bit Saturn and Genesis 2.4GHz controllers are also an option since they have that USB receiver. I can't get those to work on Sonic Mania, but I imagine they should work for other things like emulators.

16 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

I just checked Twitter, and literally half an hour ago:

Just as I guessed, MVG and other major names (AKA influencers) are among the first to get units. Funny that we're almost at the ETA for when the second group of beta test units were supposed to ship, but hey I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with this current time since most shipping channels are currently heavily delayed and/or slowed to a crawl. With less than a week before the general public should be able to purchase these things, what changes or fixes are they hoping to implement during this time?

EDIT: just worth noting, despite the fact that Wal-Mart is the exclusive NA online retailer for the Polymega right now, there's not even a page for it on Wal-Mart's website. The Atari VCS, a continually delayed console that's almost certainly vaporware, has a page, but a console that is releasing in six days doesn't.

Dude, I tweeted that they showed a picture of 6 units, then sent out to 6 "influencers" and all I got back was a ton of hate about calling them "influencers". Then I said, fine, what shall I call you? They said "beta testers", So I said, OK, "beta testers" why only a picture of 6 units, and only 6 "beta testers" got units? How many units were sent out, how many in the next batch, IS this a ponzi scheme? Nothing, only more hate on Twitter... dude didn't you see it at E3? You're just mad, etc etc

Much like anything in the world, you can't fix stupid I guess.

• Like 2

I am really interested in hearing what the beta testers think of it, I personally like the idea of the system, is it expensive?  Sure but if I can play an English patched Saturn game when I put in my original disc I would be very happy.  I realize that there may be other cheaper ways to do this but I am looking for a few things:

1) A unified attractive system with matching controllers that I can just plug and play.

2) A system where I don't have to install OS's, drivers, Linux etc to setup the system

3) A system that English patches games for me while using my original games

4) A system that recognizes my game and gives me the artwork and game information and perhaps a preview video of the game

I do realize I may be the exception to many people but I have had my eye on this system for awhile and it looks interesting to me.  Of course so much is going to be riding on its performance and if it actually can deliver on what they say it might.  If I can pop in a game and have it patched and start playing with great performance, then the price of admission is worth it to me.

I have not pre-ordered it yet as I too am waiting to see what is going to happen and if these ever do make it to market.

I am very glad however people here are giving alternatives in case I choose to go that way, I just hate building systems, installing things and fabricating cases to make it look like a console that I would buy.. I have done so much of that in the past and I am now at the point in my life where I want to just play the games.

I do have to wonder if this system, assuming it works as specified, will make it easier to capture video ?  I have to believe it will..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

I am really interested in hearing what the beta testers think of it, I personally like the idea of the system, is it expensive?  Sure but if I can play an English patched Saturn game when I put in my original disc I would be very happy.  I realize that there may be other cheaper ways to do this but I am looking for a few things:

1) A unified attractive system with matching controllers that I can just plug and play.

2) A system where I don't have to install OS's, drivers, Linux etc to setup the system

3) A system that English patches games for me while using my original games

4) A system that recognizes my game and gives me the artwork and game information and perhaps a preview video of the game

I do realize I may be the exception to many people but I have had my eye on this system for awhile and it looks interesting to me.  Of course so much is going to be riding on its performance and if it actually can deliver on what they say it might.  If I can pop in a game and have it patched and start playing with great performance, then the price of admission is worth it to me.

I have not pre-ordered it yet as I too am waiting to see what is going to happen and if these ever do make it to market.

I am very glad however people here are giving alternatives in case I choose to go that way, I just hate building systems, installing things and fabricating cases to make it look like a console that I would buy.. I have done so much of that in the past and I am now at the point in my life where I want to just play the games.

I do have to wonder if this system, assuming it works as specified, will make it easier to capture video ?  I have to believe it will..

Don't feel bad, I'm 100% with you for the reasons you stated AND for that awesome light gun they showed off. 

My only issue so far has been, are they out of money and relying heavily on these youtubers/beta testers whatever to stoke sale so they can get inventory to do another round. That's not business that is going to be successful, it's putting off the inevitable.

Also, the next round is $400 for one, really? I just don't think they will sell many at that price, and if they are out of money, then they'll never fulfill all outstanding orders, then where will those who paid be?

Finally, the Walmart "deal" to sell online is BS. Look at all that cheap Chinese crap you can get on Walmart online. It's like Amazon, they let anyone sell online. If Walmart themselves were carrying it, that's something major.

Again, I want this to succeed, but the way they are doing it is very hidden and does not bode well. I'm sure the 6 (or however many) beta units mailed out will work fine, after all it's a basic emulation box, why wouldn't it?

14 hours ago, XtraSmiley said:

Don't feel bad, I'm 100% with you for the reasons you stated AND for that awesome light gun they showed off. 

I kind of forgot about the light gun but yes that is awesome to be able to play Die Hard Trilogy, Point Blank, Elemental Gearbolt, Virta Cop, etc on an HD TV is pretty amazing.

14 hours ago, XtraSmiley said:

My only issue so far has been, are they out of money and relying heavily on these youtubers/beta testers whatever to stoke sale so they can get inventory to do another round. That's not business that is going to be successful, it's putting off the inevitable.

Also, the next round is $400 for one, really? I just don't think they will sell many at that price, and if they are out of money, then they'll never fulfill all outstanding orders, then where will those who paid be?

Are they out of money?  I was under the impression they were well funded.  Do you know how bad are their money problems?  Yes if they are out of money then that definitely does not bode well for the system as production needs lots of money to get it right.  Is there an article I can read about their money woes?  That would certainly help me decide on this..

4 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

I kind of forgot about the light gun but yes that is awesome to be able to play Die Hard Trilogy, Point Blank, Elemental Gearbolt, Virta Cop, etc on an HD TV is pretty amazing.

Are they out of money?  I was under the impression they were well funded.  Do you know how bad are their money problems?  Yes if they are out of money then that definitely does not bode well for the system as production needs lots of money to get it right.  Is there an article I can read about their money woes?  That would certainly help me decide on this..

The money problems are something that's been concluded from the facts we have at hand.  Playmaji raised about $500,000 through crowdfunding, and that's the only concrete figure that's ever been entered. The angel investments, if they exist at all (and I believe they do) were said to be 1 million or 2 million.  Conflicting data, neither confirmed, but in either case, not a massive sum of money with respect to launching a hardware product.  

So we know that the Polymega product has been in development for almost three years, they've gone through at least one radical redesign, they've licensed various IPs, and had to pay for human labor, office space, and legal help.  Even without seeing their books or knowing anything about the specifics of their finances, you can look at it and say they've spent a lot of money and produced very little.  

Now Playmaji is trickling out small numbers of systems, a move that makes zero sense from any business point of view.  The conclusion to draw is that they simply can't afford to produce enough systems to cover all pre-orders.

Let me restate that: POLYMEGA DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PRODUCE AND SHIP THE SYSTEMS THEY HAVE ALREADY SOLD, much less Honor any sales they want to make going forward.  That's a scary place to be.

But how do you know, you'll ask?  Okay, a fair question.  To which, I ask, what circumstances could possibly exist that would make this interpretation incorrect?  

It's possible that the angel investment was considerably larger than we've heard, and Playmaji actually had plenty of money to do all this.  In which case, I would wonder why they behave like a company strapped for cash-- and why they are opting not to deliver on product if they are in a position to do so.

It's possible that their marketing team thinks shipping to youtubers first will drum up interest and more pre-orders.  In which case, I would again ask why they simply do not deliver the pre-orders already sold, in full.  If having five people talk up the system is good, having 5,000 talk it up is even better.  

The consensus is that there's simply no reason the company would act this way if they were not financially trapped into doing so.  I am actively looking for an alternative explanation and I cannot find one.

• Like 3

@godslabrat

Those are all logical deductions, having owned my own business for 11 years and have worked in manufacturing I can definitely say what you are stating is correct.

I do have to wonder however that perhaps they are just doing an external beta test in hopes to find hardware issues that may need a redesign?  We would often send out engineering samples to game editors to do initial write ups and set a tone to the public that something is on its way and that they are playing with it already..  These people would sometimes find problems that would need minor board changes before the next revision.  This was useful as it sometimes caught things that were missed in other areas and prevented an expensive hardware recall or software kludge patch to cover up the hardware issue.  I have to think that if they may be hurting for money now, an issue found after manufacturing would definitely break them completely.

If Playmaji is doing this, and that is a BIG IF, then I can possibly conclude that they intend to delay this product at least until the Fall.

In any case it does not bode well, I guess keeping an eye on this, and like you start looking into other solutions might be a good idea if this does indeed fail.  Which I am hoping it does not.

39 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

@godslabrat

Those are all logical deductions, having owned my own business for 11 years and have worked in manufacturing I can definitely say what you are stating is correct.

I do have to wonder however that perhaps they are just doing an external beta test in hopes to find hardware issues that may need a redesign?  We would often send out engineering samples to game editors to do initial write ups and set a tone to the public that something is on its way and that they are playing with it already..  These people would sometimes find problems that would need minor board changes before the next revision.  This was useful as it sometimes caught things that were missed in other areas and prevented an expensive hardware recall or software kludge patch to cover up the hardware issue.  I have to think that if they may be hurting for money now, an issue found after manufacturing would definitely break them completely.

If Playmaji is doing this, and that is a BIG IF, then I can possibly conclude that they intend to delay this product at least until the Fall.

In any case it does not bode well, I guess keeping an eye on this, and like you start looking into other solutions might be a good idea if this does indeed fail.  Which I am hoping it does not.

I can agree this is a potential path they could be taking, however, if the hardware is not 100% final at this point, that creates more problems than it solves.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

@godslabrat

Also, their beta programs states that those who volunteer to beta test accept they might get units that never work correctly, ie not final units. So, even with that stipulation, they had a TON of volunteers to beta test, yet only sent out 6 units? Why wouldn't you send out 10, or 100, or 1,000 to beta test knowing you never have to fix their units if there is a problem? After all the more beta testers, the better to find all the problems right?

I won't be able to ask anymore on Twitter though, they blocked me now. Great business practice I guess...

I'm watching the YT of one guy who got it, it looks so great too, it's a shame it's $400 now and may never actually get delivered. I hope it does still, especially for the light gun, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Sad 1

I have to wonder if the 6 they've sent out are the "pre-production samples" that they were "focussed" on some time ago. Other than any prototype / development stuff they have at their base, does any other hardware exist I wonder?

MVG comments on his video today that the beta system he's received has clearly been used.....

I'm sure I first came across the Retroblox website in Jan / Feb 2016 (sixteen...) That does tie in with their Twitter join date. Can anyone confirm that Retroblox web site date ?

1 hour ago, cacophony said:

I have not had a chance to watch yet but some impressions are starting to trickle in:

Yay, uneven pixel sizing on both axes! I wonder what options for video settings are available. Horizontal interpolation with an integer scaled vertical size should be the default for everything that runs games in 4:3. Maybe even the only option.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1