IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm guessing this beta test next shipment won't be much different from the previous one. We'll see, though.

Still, going against the trend of releasing a broken and unfinished pile of garbage and then patching it later is a nice thing and I wish more companies (all companies) would do it.

I'm in no way confident that the Polymega will be neither broken nor unfinished.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, godslabrat said:

I'm in no way confident that the Polymega will be neither broken nor unfinished.

It definitely works for playing games, that much I can say for myself. At least, it did when I played it. Maybe they broke something since then since it's been over a year, but it worked perfectly fine when I tested it. That actually would be a good enough reason to delay it, actually, if they did actually break something and need time to fix the broken stuff, but I doubt that it would take this long to fix it in that case.

As for the UI or the other stuff, we'll see (and laugh at whatever's broken/unfinished, as appropriate).

On 7/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

It definitely works for playing games, that much I can say for myself. At least, it did when I played it. Maybe they broke something since then since it's been over a year, but it worked perfectly fine when I tested it. That actually would be a good enough reason to delay it, actually, if they did actually break something and need time to fix the broken stuff, but I doubt that it would take this long to fix it in that case.

As for the UI or the other stuff, we'll see (and laugh at whatever's broken/unfinished, as appropriate).

I actually think the UI is the best part of this thing. Game accuracy is likely what people mean by broken. Many games don't work at all and probably of the thousands it does play, who knows what errors are present in the game without a deep dive into a specific game?

The UI, is a fancy game selection menu, it looks great, but how hard is it to get that working? Not very hard I would think.

• 3 weeks later...

One nice thing, I guess, is that in the comments of that Nintendo Life article they confirm that it does play CD-R backups of CD systems. But of course you still have to put the CD-R back in when you want to play the game, which makes this thing truly bizarre. "Sorry we need a game disc, but it doesn't matter if it's legit" is a weird hill to die upon. 

8 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

One nice thing, I guess, is that in the comments of that Nintendo Life article they confirm that it does play CD-R backups of CD systems. But of course you still have to put the CD-R back in when you want to play the game, which makes this thing truly bizarre. "Sorry we need a game disc, but it doesn't matter if it's legit" is a weird hill to die upon. 

Didn’t they say CD games can be installed onto the hard drive so the disc is only required once?

I personally hope you have to leave the disc in and it runs off the disc for authenticity reasons for me, or even an option to install or not to install.  Of course that does put wear on the optical drive, hummm... 

In any case now that I have seen that twitter feed, I really am juiced about getting one when they come out.

4 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

Pretty sure you still have to put it in like a hardware key. Same for installed cartridges. 

If that's the case, it's a very slight deviation from their original design.

Which should come as a surprise to no one.

1 hour ago, derFunkenstein said:

I'm open to being wrong, but I thought it was a move to try to protect their ROM store so people didn't pass around carts to install. But if it plays CD-Rs I guess that's out the window too. 

I'm sure it is, but the ability to install games to the system was a selling point until... today, apparently.

3 hours ago, godslabrat said:

I'm sure it is, but the ability to install games to the system was a selling point until... today, apparently.

Yes. I need to get clarification from them on this. If indeed the game disc is always required I am cancelling my pre-order

1 hour ago, mario64 said:

Yes. I need to get clarification from them on this. If indeed the game disc is always required I am cancelling my pre-order

To be as fair as I can be... this does seem like it could be explained as poor phrasing. It's possible nothing at all has changed.

On the other hand, if true, it would be yet another thing Polymega reversed course on, with no warning, after they had people's money.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Calling that a "review" is hogwash.  That's an infomercial for the Polymega.  Nintendo life is killing their credibility over this console.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, godslabrat said:

Calling that a "review" is hogwash.  That's an infomercial for the Polymega.  Nintendo life is killing their credibility over this console.

Yeah, it's definitely not the best review I've ever seen. I'm really interested to see if Bob over at RetroRGB will review it. That will be interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, cybercylon said:

Surely, I am not the only one who has at times called him RGB Bob......

He is pretty critical about things in a good way. If he gets his hands on one, I would look forward to that review too. He will probably like it as much as those cheap upscalers... 

lol I think of him as RetroRGBob sometimes, don't worry! I hope that Bob, Joe Redifer, and John Linneman all review the thing since I know they'll do fun things like comparing the thing's sound frequencies to real hardware.

I love how that "review" claims the beta units have "shipped all over the world". Yeah, they sure have, like, all 8 of them!

If they are still doing hardware updates (as discussed in the "review"), then there really isn't any chance of this thing shipping in 90 days. Come on, HARDWARE updates?

WTF man!

This is what I hope happens at this point. The company is able to at least get the backers their consoles (not sue I think they will), then it does some updates before collapsing under its own mis-management. Then...

The OS gets leaked or released and people can adapt it for PC use. I still love their UI and how it looks/plays.

Sadly, I think this thing can only be successful if they can get it under $300. At $400+module price? No way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XtraSmiley said:

I love how that "review" claims the beta units have "shipped all over the world". Yeah, they sure have, like, all 8 of them!

If they are still doing hardware updates (as discussed in the "review"), then there really isn't any chance of this thing shipping in 90 days. Come on, HARDWARE updates?

WTF man!

This is what I hope happens at this point. The company is able to at least get the backers their consoles (not sue I think they will), then it does some updates before collapsing under its own mis-management. Then...

The OS gets leaked or released and people can adapt it for PC use. I still love their UI and how it looks/plays.

Sadly, I think this thing can only be successful if they can get it under $300. At $400+module price? No way.

"Yeah, like... we gave this thing a MAJOR test for this review!  Like, we can't test the carts, because we don't have the adapters.  But we TOTALLY played three whole PS1 games!  And we were BRUTAL in our assessment!  Like, we found out that there's a spot where a mental midget could slide an SD card into, and we were all like 'THAT'S NO BUENO, POLYMEGA!' but then my best buddy Bryan assured me they'd deal with it, so it's all good.  I STUCK IT TO THE MAN!"

"In conclusion, the Polymega plays video games.  It also lowers your cholesterol and gets you laid.  This is absolutely a real review."

• 2 weeks later...