IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

I just watched that, and what he says near the end sums up my own opinion about this thing all along. Why do we need this, and what problem is it trying to solve? Chances are, someone that already has a library of games probably has found solutions to OEM or has everything on a PC already.

$400+$80 per module is pretty steep too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:16 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Nintendo Life got the modules, if anyone cares. I don't feel like reading the updated thing they wrote about it because I'm lazy and it's late, so I won't.

Let me save you time. It's a plastic connector so the cart edges connect to the main unit and then download the ROMs to play on the emulator. 

You could save money by just loading the ROM on their system (once it's been hacked to do so). I guess it does give you the controller port too.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:46 AM, XtraSmiley said:

Let me save you time. It's a plastic connector so the cart edges connect to the main unit and then download the ROMs to play on the emulator. 

You could save money by just loading the ROM on their system (once it's been hacked to do so). I guess it does give you the controller port too.

I think I might have mentioned before that it's probably just a passthrough device with controller ports EDIT: which is pretty much exactly what you just said, now that I reread it! I'm somewhat mildly but not incredibly interested in finding out if I am right, so if anyone decides to open one, I'd be slightly curious about what is inside.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hate that there is a part of me that wants this... because I know at the end of the day a decent old computer can do almost all of this emulation and more. Can even get various adapters to read the games on PC if you're willing to look around. 

It feels to me that the core problem with the Polymega (a lot of things aside) is the full cost of this "all in one" solution that doesn't even really come all in one because of the various adapters. What's the base system bit? $500? I mean you could get one of the brand new consoles (PS5 / Xbox Series X) for that price... barring you can find one to preorder. Or you could order one of the current gen consoles and have money left over for a pile of games. 

The video highlights it as a nice plug in and play system, but for me, it'd just end up in the growing pile next to all my other systems. 

If it were half the price or included all the adapters, we might have a different response from me. ?‍♀️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

I hate that there is a part of me that wants this... because I know at the end of the day a decent old computer can do almost all of this emulation and more. Can even get various adapters to read the games on PC if you're willing to look around. 

I'm in a similar boat. I was extremely skeptical at first, but now I think I want it. It seems like an easy way to have lots of more powerful consoles in one. Sure, it's not FPGA, but the software emulation seems quite good and there are a lot of convenience features that I would definitely appreciate. While I would prefer it play ROMs directly, I understand why it can't. As for not having all of the modules built-in, that's ok with me too. Most of the ones it doesn't have by default, I have other ways to play, like with a Retro Freak. For most everything else, I have the original systems still anyway.

The cost does seem high, but I understand the economies of scale here and would rather it be built to a high standard than not. So far, I've not seen one negative review, so that's a very good sign.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, XtraSmiley said:

Some tomorrow is the big day (November 1st!). Since I'm blocked from their Twitter, any updates from this awesome company? Any new delay news or are they actually shipping them? 

Looks like it's vanished from Walmart, so that doesn't seem good.

According to Leo DS, the German distributor had it scheduled to ship two days ago.  If I understand him correctly, it costs $1.5 million to manufacture these units, but it needs to be done in bulk, so they are waiting for preorders to reach a certain threshold.

That's bad, especially after the previous delays and the switch from FPGA to emulation.  Various YouTubers have been promoting this thing or at least being very uncritical of it.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:17 AM, ALittleBirdy said:

According to Leo DS, the German distributor had it scheduled to ship two days ago.  If I understand him correctly, it costs $1.5 million to manufacture these units, but it needs to be done in bulk, so they are waiting for preorders to reach a certain threshold.

That's bad, especially after the previous delays and the switch from FPGA to emulation.  Various YouTubers have been promoting this thing or at least being very uncritical of it.

How can you get more preorders when no one is accepting more preorders. In fact they are even cancelling preorders.

But that doesn't make me think money or rather the lack of it isn't the problem.

Maybe Playmaji just doesn't know what they are doing??? <insert perplexed emoji here>

21 hours ago, Malrinth said:

How can you get more preorders when no one is accepting more preorders. In fact they are even cancelling preorders.

But that doesn't make me think money or rather the lack of it isn't the problem.

Maybe Playmaji just doesn't know what they are doing??? <insert perplexed emoji here>

Seems like a major play for investors that flopped big time.  There's no way in hell a company like Wal-mart dropped the ball.  They just got out of the deal is all.  Playmaji is fucked unless they find an angel investor willing to take that risk.

• Like 1

I think the appeal is the all in one nature that is much closer to plug n' play friendly. Emulation requires a lot more user input and tinkering. I know I've had tons of headache with software like RetroArch, and stand-alone emulators can have their own issues with some games launching fine and others needing to have emulator adjustments done to run optimally. It's not a boot-it-up and go option, at least not initially. I think the intangibles is what the system is aiming for. If all the modules came with the base unit for $400, especially with some sort of stand so they could be stacked next to the base, I think the asking price would be a lot more competitive.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:15 PM, Sho said:

Seems like a major play for investors that flopped big time.  There's no way in hell a company like Wal-mart dropped the ball.  They just got out of the deal is all.  Playmaji is fucked unless they find an angel investor willing to take that risk.

My guess is that Walmart had a minimun number required by a certain date before they would keep the release date. Playmaji hasn't made more than 10-20 of these (prove me wrong those of you who claim they mailed out 200!) and couldn't provide proof to Walmart, so poof, the item is pulled until a new delivery date is negotiated. Now 2021. I'm sure in January if Walmart doesn't see thousands of units, it will disappear from their site again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Can it run on a stock system, or do I have to hack it?

Any stock Xbone and up is good to go, but you have to dual boot into developer mode. While in DM, you can't run commercial games, but I think it's pretty easy to boot back and forth.

DM does have a one time fee of $19 though (last time I looked into it).

As a plus, you can turn a setting on RA and have it actually use the full GPU of the XsX/XsS so supposedly, it's pretty fucking fast.

Polymega better hurry up and promise more features if they want to keep their pre-orders on the hook longer. I mean, for $300 you can pick up a XsX that plays all the Polymega games... and M$ games? For $100 less than a PM?

Has the Xbox software have a solution for carts and for patching Sega Saturn Roms from an actual disc?  I am looking for those features and are the biggest reason I am looking into a Polymega.

I have a lot of actual retail discs and wish to play them and not ROMS.  

I am also looking for an attractive front end that manages all of my library and cross references suggested games based on my tastes and games I have played.

If it can handle those things I would love to invest in an Xbox as I was not going to get a new one but would certainly reconsider.

Thank you for the heads up.

I have no problem buying both solutions as I like the way the Polymega handles a lot of its patching and library.

No to your questions and I think the Retroarch front end is OK, but the Polymega one is amazing. It's the cleanest and best I've ever seen for an emulator IMO.

Sounds like you need to stick with PM, but I wouldn't pre-order, I'd just wait to buy. My theory is it may not ever ship, and after it does, they may go belly up, leaving them in the discount bin, which would be a great time to swoop in and buy one.

Finally, they've pissed off a lot of people with their customer "service", so I'm guessing they will get hacked and the PM front end will get dumped on the internet in short order (if they ever actually release a console).

Edited by XtraSmiley