IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

13 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Had they just said from day 1 "We're going to make an emulation pc in a living room form factor", I would have patted them on the back.  But now they've tried so hard to make this box into something it's not that I can't even take them seriously if they tell me water is wet.

I really hope that whatever happens to this venture we're going to see the improved Steve Snake ( https://segaretro.org/Steve_Snake ) emulation as well a exclusive mednafen Sega Saturn CD support etc.... basically the actual original work that went into this thing separate from whatever this unit is going to-be/not-to-be.

(no a skin, a menu selector and an online store do not qualify in my book as something worth of any accolade)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"I will check in here in a years time when Polyflop launch will be just a month or two away as usual".

I said that on May 31st 2020. OK so it's 11 days short of a full year - near enough.

So here I am  - and here the Polyflop is not.

I've been off planet for 6 months plus in a way. Heck, even the Atari VCS thing finally appeared 4 months or so ago which I missed - early adopters seem unimpressed with it though.

Just waiting now for them to reset their eternal teasing by saying they've rebranded, redesigned and are launching a new and upgraded Polymega 2. Any bets ?

It's as far away as ever. Or more correctly it's as far away as NEVER.

Edited by thedoppelganger
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, thedoppelganger said:

"I will check in here in a years time when Polyflop launch will be just a month or two away as usual".

I said that on May 31st 2020. OK so it's 11 days short of a full year - near enough.

So here I am  - and here the Polyflop is not.

I've been off planet for 6 months plus in a way. Heck, even the Atari VCS thing finally appeared 4 months or so ago which I missed - early adopters seem unimpressed with it though.

Just waiting now for them to reset their eternal teasing by saying they've rebranded, redesigned and are launching a new and upgraded Polymega 2. Any bets ?

It's as far away as ever. Or more correctly it's as far away as NEVER.

I'd Actually agree that they would try to rebrand and relaunch... but at this point, I'm not sure they have the resources to even try.  They have no money and spent almost two months without even a proper business license.  The time has run out when they can play "cute".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, cacophony said:

Announcing a future reveal date for a product that's years late crosses some kind of line

These idiots crossed any meaningful line years ago.  All that remains is how they play this out.  Do backers get their RomBoxes?  Does the hardware basically do what it's supposed to?  Can the company sell more once the novelty wears off?

I mean, even the Atari VCS eventually came out, but that doesn't make it a success story.

• Like 4

They announced dates and gave out a time frame.

People that pre-ordered Polymega from 2018 to April 2020, will start to get their orders shipped on September 12th. Complete fulfilment of orders from 2018 to April 2020  is  anticipated by the end of October. 

The orders place after April 2020 through 2021 will be delayed till first half of  2022. The GC01 Light Gun will be delayed till the first half of 2022.

The Launch of Digital game store happens Holidays 2021. They didn't give an exact date. 

Edited by 8th lutz

I'll still only believe it when I see it and it's still obviously not what it was meant to be.

I only learned of this new development becasue i received an email sent to a newer email address I subscribed to their updates with. My original email adress has received nothing (yes I've checked spam etc).

Which supports what's happened to some whose orders have been lost - ie they've lost my original email sign up.

In fairness, I may check Poly out again in 6 months when there should be loads of users out there.

If it's anything like how it was 2 years ago when I played it, the Polymega works just fine.

I did just think of something, though; how does it handle the 1MB and 4MB RAM carts for Saturn? What about Saturn KOF '95 and Ultraman with their special cartridges? I'm assuming those are emulated somehow, and I'm also assuming that it does run the games that don't like the 4MB RAM cart with the 1MB RAM cart, but I don't know. I wish I'd known more about the Saturn when I actually had the chance to play the Polymega, as I knew basically nothing about it at the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I did just think of something, though; how does it handle the 1MB and 4MB RAM carts for Saturn? What about Saturn KOF '95 and Ultraman with their special cartridges?

That's an interesting question. KoF '95 and Ultraman use ROM carts, so the images can't be supplied with the Polymega and the system has no way of dumping them. I can only assume that the system won't support those games.

It's just an emulation box though, so it'll probably handle the RAM carts like Mednafen does: the games just work.

7 hours ago, Silanda said:

That's an interesting question. KoF '95 and Ultraman use ROM carts, so the images can't be supplied with the Polymega and the system has no way of dumping them. I can only assume that the system won't support those games.

It's just an emulation box though, so it'll probably handle the RAM carts like Mednafen does: the games just work.

Yeah, I imagine the RAM cart games will just work the way they are supposed to and the system will automatically just choose whichever RAM cart is best on a per-game basis. KOF '95 and Ultraman are a mystery at this point, I suppose. Would not be surprised if they are not supported, but I suppose someone will find out eventually. I wonder if someone who actually owns the thing right now has put either of those game discs in to see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, so apparently this thing is in some stores in Japan now or something. I have to go to visit the Casio customer service thingy in Akiba in about a week. I'll see if any of the game stores in the town have any of these things while I'm there. Might be sold out by then, though, for all I know.

I am also surprised that people are actually receiving them. I cancelled mine sometime back. They lost all good faith for me with the poor communication and nonstop delays. I get that a new product from a new company is a hard thing to do, but they seemed to be in way over their heads when it comes to business management.

For anyone that received their I hope you do enjoy it. For all the grief some give it for just being an emulation box I do think it's got an extremely clean and nice front end. I wanted one for the pure simplicity and nice UI because I don't the time or patience to deal with some emulators that have become much more complex these days, but I think the ship has sailed for me.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

It seems it works kind of well, call me Shirley:

Based on all of the early reviews I was confident it was well-designed and worked well. The biggest issues remain price and an inability to side load games or use flash carts (I suppose we can also add "being available" in there, but then that's true of lots of things these days). I do think I'll get one eventually so I don't have to get a PS1, Saturn, or Neo Geo CD again, among others I don't want to bother with original systems for again.