IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

Well over a week since the last communication. Looks like they're not even waiting until the crowdfunding is over to go silent.

Still waiting on that video we were supposed to have "soon".

And another week has gone by, and so it has now been over two weeks since Polymega posted ...

post-43707-0-04397800-1539634641.png

At some point, you'd think that the current pre-order purchasers might wake up to the idea that there's probably no video because the darned hardware doesn't actually work yet ... or else they'd have shown it by now.

Anyway, it looks like they got another $10,000 in pre-orders last week ... so they would seem to have very little chance of hitting the next funding goal in the remaining 3 weeks, especially without Polymega actually posting that see-it-all-working video.

Somehow, I don't think $500K is enough money to pay people and pay for prototyping of a full custom modern spec Intel based motherboard. Along with all the plastic molds they have to make for all the various modules (at least the tops), controller ports, the base unit itself, and all those controllers. That's probably 50-60 grand or more in mold making right there.

The more that I look at what it takes (software-wise) to boot a current desktop-spec Intel chip, the more that I suspect that Bryan and the Playmaji crew have dug themselves into a pretty sizeable hole by going down that route, especially when it comes with the added bonus of the whole thermal-design problem as well.

Going with a desktop-spec Intel chip has dramatically reduced the number of hardware partners that they can work with ... who are all going to want considerable up-front money to design their board for them and deal with the BIOS/UEFI customization for that board. Then there is also the customization of the board's cooling solution to work within their case (or to redesign the case itself).

As kevtris said ... that kind of hardware design-engineer time and customization isn't going to come cheap.

BTW ... does anyone else get a flashback to the Coleco Chameleon fiasco with this "We've got ourselves a case-design, now lets try to cram some moving-goalpost-spec hardware into it and hope that it all works"??? ;)

• Like 5

This machine has it all!

- high price

- opaque communication

- lots of promises

- delivery date far into the future

- moving parts

- unproven technology

- small production run

Why wouldn't anyone want to splash out hundreds of dollars on something for which there's no recourse if it breaks, just for the privilege of playing spinning disc games you already own on ancient but proven hardware?

• Like 8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksKGQv2wnys

Pat and Ian weigh in again. It seems like they again try to steer clear of the shady aspects of the project, and instead try to ask if the $500,000 is realistically enough to launch this product, especially given the small install base. I respect their prudence, despite the fact that I think it's clear we're not too far from JagSnez territory

• Like 5

Shots fired! :lol:

Considering Analogue has made a name for themselves accomplishing what Playmaji was originally claiming to accomplish in their previous showcases of the Polymega, and the fact that they claimed to have raised half-a-mil off of what is extensively smoke and mirrors, I cannot blame them for such a scathing tweet. I'd be rather insulted myself if I had a company that built a reputation off of making high quality aftermarket consoles, only to see some putz waltz right in with a light and magic show grabbing a lot of people's money without any determinable proof or real displays of good faith.

Analogue at least gives off the idea that they know what they're doing, have three successful consoles released (more like two-and-a-half, but whatever), and have the chops to back up what they announce. All Playmaji has are a couple LinkedIn profiles, an outdated prototype by their own admission, and some videos playing Saturn games on Mednafen using save states.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksKGQv2wnys

Pat and Ian weigh in again. It seems like they again try to steer clear of the shady aspects of the project, and instead try to ask if the $500,000 is realistically enough to launch this product, especially given the small install base. I respect their prudence, despite the fact that I think it's clear we're not too far from JagSnez territory

I have to agree. Pat and Ian want to stay neutral on the Polymega until there's concrete proof, likely from us, that the console and entire campaign is indeed a scam. While I can easily say that most everyone here is already convinced of that conclusion, the fact that there's no smoking gun as of yet like with previous scampaigns makes it difficult to convince others of that.

As for Polymega at this moment: I cannot tell if Playmaji's situation is better or worse than JagSnez right now. Mike Kennedy might've bull#####ed his way through the entire RVGS/Chameleon saga, but to give the man some credit he knew how to sell bull#### to everyone he talked back in 2014/2015. His big flaw was showing off "prototypes" that could easily be traced back to known products, something that seems to befall a number of video game console crowdfunding schemes that have been called out since (PGS and SmachZ, anyone?).

Polymega doesn't have the same type of PR presence or charisma, and are doing a piss poor job at hiding that fact. I will give them some credit at occasionally being truthful, but that's appears to be accidental or unintentional in nature. They aren't necessarily outright lying about anything yet, at least not to what we can prove without a doubt, but they are being very much deceptive and it's starting to catch up with them.

• Like 5

You had me at "putz waltz"

I'd be rather insulted myself if I had a company that built a reputation off of making high quality aftermarket consoles, only to see some putz waltz right in with a light and magic show grabbing a lot of people's money without any determinable proof or real displays of good faith.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Right now, to say that PolyMega is a scam, you need to be able to go way back and show how their words over the last two years directly contradict their actions over the last two months. This is 100% doable... but it takes some patience. Pat and Ian will probably wait until there's a DVR card in front of them... something that cannot be disputed no matter how much debuffing is done.

• Like 2

vWwLFI9.png

Thank you Analogue for giving us another 'interim option'! I love how Analogue and kevtris quietly keep their heads down and just get on with developing a quality product without the smoke and mirrors PR bullshit, constantly shifting goalposts and ill-conceived stretch goals.

• Like 6

I would love to know, NOW, how they consider PolyMega to be better than the Super Nt, a device that is not only cheaper but is available right this second.

How is the Super NT an "interim" solution when it mops the floor with your pimped out Retron?

• Like 1

Oh as long as you're reading minds, ask them what the hell they were thinking in the first place, before the "putz waltz" ever started.

The only thing being cornered right now is Putzmaji.

It might be because I'm about to go to bed, but I'm legitimately laughing at the fact that my "putz waltz" comment has somehow taken off. I'm guessing "Putzmaji" is now our nickname for Bryan Bernal's company?

• Like 2

From the Polymega twitter feed today ...
post-43707-0-07265400-1540061786.png

It's OK now guys, we can stop all of this pointless negativity and questioning, Peter says that "It's legit.".

So ... there's no sign of the video that was promised, that might actually provide some proof of a minimal level of functionality ... but Bryan had the time this week to have a "Photographer"/"Gamer"/"Content Creator" friend over for a few drinks, and that guy says that it's legit, so we can all rest assured now that everything is totally on the up-and-up.

I guess that we can just close this thread now, right? ;)

• Like 3

So ... there's no sign of the video that was promised, that might actually provide some proof of a minimal level of functionality ... but Bryan had the time this week to have a "Photographer"/"Gamer"/"Content Creator" friend over for a few drinks, and that guy says that it's legit, so we can all rest assured now that everything is totally on the up-and-up.

Here's the video that was promised, you just missed it ;)

https://twitter.com/PeterKitch/status/1053500790952800256

Here's the video that was promised, you just missed it ;)

https://twitter.com/PeterKitch/status/1053500790952800256

Thank you for that twitter link, I really appreciate it! ;-)

For some reason, I still can't actually see that post myself when I go to either Polymega or Peter's own twitter pages.

But they're joking, right???

That lo-res 1/2 second video from Peter (and not Polymega, officially) doesn't show a darned thing that's actually informative or proof of anything that has been questioned.

For gawd's sake ... the laptop-style dvd drive doesn't even look (to me) as though it is connected to the computer module on the table!!!

• Like 1

Who is Peter Kitch? I'm assuming I'm just not in the know but he's reputable?

You're not the first person to ask. ;)

AFAIK he's just some dude that is a friend of Bryan. I could be wrong ... but he certainly doesn't link himself to anything that might make him seem like an authorititive source of retro-gaming information to any of the spectators that are watching this whole thing.

I'm not the only person to question how he seems to have got his insider access ...

post-43707-0-49816400-1540095774.png

• Like 4