Yikes, so there goes the main reason people were still on board the PolyMega train.  Now all it has going for it is the pretty box.  (That sounds SO FAMILIAR...)

They have drug out the development of this thing for so long that every supported system is already available (or will be soon) in cheaper, better forms.  And apparently Poly "Interim solution" Mega's Plan is to ask us to not notice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The "pretty box" looked like a VCR from the most recent pictures I saw. 

Did we mention it's MODULAR??

The Digital Foundry cat walked away impressed from his hour with the thing at E3 but says he will reserve judgement until he has one in his hands. Of course, as Flojo just pointed out, their whole reason for being just sort of went up in smoke.

With Raspberry Pi 4 proven to handle run ahead latency reduction no problem I think Polymega needs to step up their game.  

I'm not on the Raspberry Pi train, but even I found that impressive and at $40 it makes the Pi a serious contender for really hardcore retro gamers that want the least amount of lag. 

Indeed. Homebrew and "generic" freeware emulation seems to always win out over these kickstarter projects. Besides, this retroblo thing has been bandied about for years with nothing to show. Noise.

These guys discuss the system from personal experience.  They're very even-keeled and fair, IMO.  The bait-and-Switch is addressed but the conversation goes on.  TLDR: the system is solid but the target audience and value for the dollar is unclear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1