IGNORED

7800 and Imagic carts not fitting

briwayjones

I have gotten several Imagic 2600 games. Does anyone else have trouble with them not fitting properly in the 7800 slot? One of them won't fit at all, and most of the others take some real persuasion to fit in. I just got a 2600 that I haven't been able to get hooked up yet, that they fit fine in.

Yes sir, a common issue, which from my experience, appears to impact later model runs more than the earlier serial numbered consoles.

My "AT84" serial fits all carts no problem. My "A1" serials things start to get tight, and my "A3" serials can be quite ridiculous in trying to insert and remove certain 2600 carts. "X" series had a death grip, and one of the reasons I chose it to be a guinea pig for my (lack of) soldering skill.

A search on the form topic for cart slot will reveal a series a threads, including this particular post mentioning Imagic carts specifically and a "fix". ;)

Yes sir, a common issue, which from my experience, appears to impact later model runs more than the earlier serial numbered consoles.

My "AT84" serial fits all carts no problem. My "A1" serials things start to get tight, and my "A3" serials can be quite ridiculous in trying to insert and remove certain 2600 carts. "X" series had a death grip, and one of the reasons I chose it to be a guinea pig for my (lack of) soldering skill.

A search on the form topic for cart slot will reveal a series a threads, including this particular post mentioning Imagic carts specifically and a "fix". ;)

Thank you sir!

• Like 1

I'm guessing this is the same issue that many 7800s can have with non official Atari mold Carts. The Bevel fits perfectly to Atari cart specifications but many other manufacturer's carts didn't fit very well originally or (more likely) stopped fitting at all over time as the plastic aged. I used a dremel to cut off the sides past the tabs that holds the unit in place under the board and that solved the problem for me. Note: there are also two screws that are concealed by foam in some models.

16473883_223521931388110_296155583470791

Edited by mykgerard

I'm guessing this is the same issue that many 7800s can have with non official Atari mold Carts. The Bevel fits perfectly to Atari cart specifications but many other manufacturer's carts didn't fit very well originally or (more likely) stopped fitting at all over time as the plastic aged. I used a dremel to cut off the sides past the tabs that holds the unit in place under the board and that solved the problem for me. Note: there are also two screws that are concealed by foam in some models.

I ended up just cutting the slot sleeve in the corners. Seems to work fine.

• 1 month later...

So I recently got myself a backup 7800, and I'm noticing that this one has the same aforementioned issue: death grip on the 7800 cartridges, but no problem with 2600 cartridges. And it has nothing to do with the plastic "sleeve" around the cartridge port, because even when I removed that thing completely there was no difference.It's as if the slot weren't wide enough for the cartridge boards. Seriously, the motherboard pops out of place when I try to remove a 7800 cart.

Is there a fix for this issue?

So I recently got myself a backup 7800, and I'm noticing that this one has the same aforementioned issue: death grip on the 7800 cartridges, but no problem with 2600 cartridges. And it has nothing to do with the plastic "sleeve" around the cartridge port, because even when I removed that thing completely there was no difference.It's as if the slot weren't wide enough for the cartridge boards. Seriously, the motherboard pops out of place when I try to remove a 7800 cart.

Is there a fix for this issue?

I'm having the exact same problem with the composite modded system that I just got. I removed the plastic cartridge guide entirely and the cartridge connector on the motherboard still puts such a death grip on my carts that it actually broke my Pole Position II cart trying to pull it out, and if I keep using the system I think it's just a matter of time until the casing cracks from the absurd amount of force required to insert or remove 7800 carts.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having the exact same problem with the composite modded system that I just got. I removed the plastic cartridge guide entirely and the cartridge connector on the motherboard still puts such a death grip on my carts that it actually broke my Pole Position II cart trying to pull it out, and if I keep using the system I think it's just a matter of time until the casing cracks from the absurd amount of force required to insert or remove 7800 carts.

Mine is real tight on 26007800 carts too. I feel like I'm going to break the slot every time I put a game in or out. I wish they made them like the 2600 slots. They are rock solid.