IGNORED

RespeQT on linux framebuffer (no X11)

mozzwald

I have built RespeQT using the openwrt build system (musl libc, qt5) for an armv5 computer that does not run X. The build completes and the binary does run on the target platform, but it complains about missing libxcb plugin. From what I gather, libxcb is a X11 related library and in my case would not be needed (unless, of course, it is required by respeqt to run).

My question is, can respeqt run on linux framebuffer only or is X11 required?

root@zipitz2:~/a8b# respeqt
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: linuxfb, minimal.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted

I suspect it's an issue with the cross compiling environment. Maybe it's pulling in the host libraries since I don't have xcb/xlib support in the openwrt build system.

Do you have a list of the required qt5 plugins/modules (ie, network, xml, printsupport)? I could not find it in the github readme.

Thanks

I have built RespeQT using the openwrt build system (musl libc, qt5) for an armv5 computer that does not run X. The build completes and the binary does run on the target platform, but it complains about missing libxcb plugin. From what I gather, libxcb is a X11 related library and in my case would not be needed (unless, of course, it is required by respeqt to run).

My question is, can respeqt run on linux framebuffer only or is X11 required?

root@zipitz2:~/a8b# respeqt
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: linuxfb, minimal.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted

I think QT needs X, or maybe something like "Wayland" in the future. I don't think it can use the FB directly. Though I haven't QT development for awhile and could be wrong.

I think QT needs X, or maybe something like "Wayland" in the future. I don't think it can use the FB directly. Though I haven't QT development for awhile and could be wrong.

I'm new to Qt myself, hence the problems I'm having :) Qt does have linux framebuffer support and I have been able to get RespeQt running on my Zipit handheld. I tweaked the main screen of the ui to run in fullscreen mode and reduced the size of the icons/widgets. Still a lot of work to be done to make it completely usable, and it's a bit slow with only 32MB RAM. Need to actually test it on the Atari next. My patches are at https://github.com/openwrt-zipit/openwrt-zipit-packages/tree/master/respeqt

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

yes, provide Qt has linux FB support (and it appears it does) there's something you've got to configure within your Qt build environment to use the linuxfb instead. I'm not sure how to do this, but it might involve building the Qt libs from scratch, unfortunately. There should be nothing in RespeQt that inherently requires X11. Let us know how it goes :)