IGNORED

Mega STe Keyboard Problems

A few months back I got an Eiffel interface, but I didn't connect it at that time. Hoping to finally use it, I pulled my Mega STe off the shelf; unboxed it, set it up, and connected the Eiffel to it. The system booted, but the keyboard and mouse I connected weren't responding. Then I noticed that the wires connecting the LED on the right side of the Eiffel were crossed. I disconnected the Eiffel, pulled the wires away from each other, and tried again. No response. With creeping dread, I disconnected the Eiffel and connected a stock Atari keyboard and mouse combo to the system. No response.

Feeling miserable about the possibility that I had burned something on my Mega STe, I pulled out my Mega ST4. I connected the Atari keyboard and mouse, and the system booted fine. The keyboard and mouse were both responsive. Then I connected the Eiffel to the Mega ST4 and booted it. Like the Mega STe, there was no response from the Eiffel. Praying, I reconnected the Atari keyboard and mouse to the Mega ST4 and mercifully they worked as normal.

I connected an Atari mouse on port 0 of the Eiffel to do some testing. When it is connected to the Mega ST4, the blue LED on the left shines solid for for a couple of seconds when the system starts and then goes dark. After that, it blinks erratically when I move the mouse. Unfortunately, there is no response on the desktop of the mouse movement. When the same test is done on the Mega STe, the LEDs don't light at all and the desktop shown no response.

What do you think the next steps are?