IGNORED

Dragon's Lair - Homebrew

Denicio

• 1 year later...

Oh well......a boy can dream, right?

I spent sometime rendering the game for intellivision and see what I got before to renounce

I started from gameboy color version, rendered to 80x48 and using the inty palette

what I got is not very playable, not speaking about the amount of space in cartridge to store 4-5 minutes of screens..

intv dragonslair5 0249

• Like 2

That's the big problem with DL. It's a big game. I think the c64 version was 1 disk at 64k, with compression. Tough to do on the Inty. Thanks for trying.

How about another version of AD&D/Cloudy Mountain instead?

not in my plans at the moment... I'm studying other 5 games..

Edited by vprette
  • Like 1

It reminds me of Marble Madness, another very popular arcade game which relied on graphics and great physics simulations and controls. When ported to 8-bit micros, it seems like a weird isometric version of Pac-Man, and it was mostly awkward to play.

Did you play Marble Madness on the Amiga computer with the mouse? It was a very good conversion, pretty close to arcade perfect.

If the Intellivision had an RS-232 serial port, it could conceivably be used to emulate the original game board and run a port of the original code (the game board was based around a Z80A, and AY-3-8910 sound chip), and interface with a serial laserdisc player.

• Like 1

Guessing it would play like and look more blocky than the Adam version. Pass. :lol:

Besides, there's a million ways to play Dragon's Lair today. A port for Intellivision would just make that a million and one. lol

attachicon.gifIMG_0043.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_0042.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0044.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_0046.PNG

I was always impressed by the adam version considering its on a z80 loaded from a tape

That's the big problem with DL. It's a big game. I think the c64 version was 1 disk at 64k, with compression. Tough to do on the Inty. Thanks for trying.

How about another version of AD&D/Cloudy Mountain instead?

I don't think 64k is a problem for an Intellivision cartridge. Even without bankswitching it could probably do about 50k. And with 16bit roms it can store double the data.

Should someone want to hook up an Intellivision to a serial laser disc player; I don't think you can use the serial port on the ecs but you should be able to use the serial port on an ltoflash.

Edited by mr_me

Did you play Marble Madness on the Amiga computer with the mouse? It was a very good conversion, pretty close to arcade perfect.

If the Intellivision had an RS-232 serial port, it could conceivably be used to emulate the original game board and run a port of the original code (the game board was based around a Z80A, and AY-3-8910 sound chip), and interface with a serial laserdisc player.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to play on an Amiga.

I don't think 64k is a problem for an Intellivision cartridge. Even without bankswitching it could probably do about 50k. And with 16bit roms it can store double the data.

Also, keep in mind that 64K on the C=64 means "Kilobytes," or a thousand 8-bit bytes; on the Intellivision it means "Kilodecles," or a thousand 16-bit words. So that would be about 32K on an Intellivision cartridge, which caps out at around 42K without bank-switching.

-dZ.

"Also, keep in mind that 64K on the C=64 means "Kilobytes," or a thousand 8-bit bytes; on the Intellivision it means "Kilodecles," or a thousand 16-bit words. So that would be about 32K on an Intellivision cartridge, which caps out at around 42K without bank-switching.

-dZ."

Isn't that 10 Bit words? DECles Not Hexacles I like Hexadecles better.. but would that be 160 bit words?

First: Marble Madness on Amiga = Awesome

Second = Cool idea, use the Intellivision to remote control a LD player. The ECS has a serial port. It was done by serval home computers, like C64 and Amiga.

"Also, keep in mind that 64K on the C=64 means "Kilobytes," or a thousand 8-bit bytes; on the Intellivision it means "Kilodecles," or a thousand 16-bit words. So that would be about 32K on an Intellivision cartridge, which caps out at around 42K without bank-switching.

-dZ."

Isn't that 10 Bit words? DECles Not Hexacles I like Hexadecles better.. but would that be 160 bit words?

It's a misnomer. "Decles" was the name given back in the 1970s when they were programming games in 10-bit ROMs, but the CP-1610 is a 16-bit CPU fully capable of supporting 16-bit ROMs. Nobody uses 10-bit ROM since the days of GI and Mattel, but we still call the ROM words "decles."

Instructions (opcodes) are 10-bit, addresses and data are 16-bit as far as I understand.

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=CP-1610

The opcodes are 10-bits in order to make them fit in 10-bit ROM. The CP-1600 came out during a transition period when "bit-ness" was still in flux and not standardized to powers of 2. General Instruments was also a large purveyor of 10-bit ROM chips, so guess what they pushed for... ;)

The CPU has 16-bit registers and is capable of reading 16-bit or 10-bit memory. It has some additional facilities to support 16-bit data encoded in 10-bit memory, but those are vestiges of a more primitive time.

-dZ.

• Like 2

I typically go with the industry standard meanings that "decle" means 10-bits and that "word" means "natural data size" which on the Intellivision's CP1610 means 16-bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_information

However, DECLE is unfortunately used as a keyword in Inty assembly to mean 16-bit values or a 10-bit value padded with 6 zero bits (depends on whether your files start with ROMW 16 or ROMW 10) which creates some of the confusion. http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Hello_World_Tutorial

Side notes: tidbit or lick means 2-bits, nibble means 4-bits, and chomp means 16-bits.

• Like 1

I typically go with the industry standard meanings that "decle" means 10-bits and that "word" means "natural data size" which on the Intellivision's CP1610 means 16-bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_information

However, DECLE is unfortunately used as a keyword in Inty assembly to mean 16-bit values or a 10-bit value padded with 6 zero bits (depends on whether your files start with ROMW 16 or ROMW 10) which creates some of the confusion. http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Hello_World_Tutorial

Side notes: tidbit or lick means 2-bits, nibble means 4-bits, and chomp means 16-bits.

strapparsi-i-capelli.jpg

• Like 2

You must be new here :P