IGNORED

Looking for help to diagnose a problem with 130XE

crtfreak

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on diagnose a issue with my childhood 130XE

Its been sitting in storage at my parents house since the early 90's. I though it got tossed out years ago but when I was helping my mom put out Christmas decoration I found it in a box shoved in the top of the garage. I wasn't able to find the power supply for it just the system floppy drive and a few game carts.

I picked up a 65XE from MyAtari a couple years ago so I have the power supply that goes with it.

So my issue is the 130XE using the 65XE power supply will only show a blank blue or black screen when you first turn it on. If you let it sit for about a min and hit restart it will boot up perfectly to the prompt screen or boot a game cart. I can turn it off an on several times and it will work ever time. I can leave it off for about 30 mins and turn it on and it will work every time. But if I leave it off form a prolonged period of time say over night it will first boot back to the blue or black screen until I restart it after warming up a min.

I checked all the socket chips and they are all firmly in place.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or maybe know what I should be looking for.

Edited by crtfreak

I checked all the socket chips and they are all firmly in place.

"Firmly in place" doesn't always mean they have a good connection. Corrosion can build up over time between the pins and the sockets. I pop them out, shoot them (chip pins and sockets) with some contact cleaner, and pop them back into place.

Edit: Count yourself lucky if you have some socketed chips in a 130XE, because most don't.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Hmm when its turned on longer it works sounds like solder issues.

Black screen mostly is rom or ram defective should just take a few minutes to resolder those joints

"Firmly in place" doesn't always mean they have a good connection. Corrosion can build up over time between the pins and the sockets. I pop them out, shoot them (chip pins and sockets) with some contact cleaner, and pop them back into place.

Edit: Count yourself lucky if you have some socketed chips in a 130XE, because most don't.

Good point. I'll take them out and give them a good cleaning this weekend. I checked all the solder joints and they all looked good on the sockets

I was mainly concerned with the power coming in as a whole... the rest is the standard power rail for the chips... I doubt the traces would have a break you wouldn't physically see and continuity testing would show breaks/resistance from trace/pad/ to a chips leg.... if it looks at all suspect just re-flow the joint...

of course if you had spare know solid power supply you could just swap that out to eliminate that possibility!

Edited by _The Doctor__

I should start with ram and os best is desolder all and solder sockets in that case you can easy swap defective chips. I got a syscheck and that allowes me to test if all rsm is bad and rom the best diagnostic tool. For 99% of the systems I repaired had defective ram. Just 1 had a defective rom.

Sent from UMI hammer with Tapatalk

The 65XE usually (always?) shipped with a 1 amp power supply, while the 130XE usually (always?) shipped with a 1.5 amp power supply.

If yours is a 1 amp, if I were you I'd get my hands on one of the XL/XE 1.5 amp supplies to see if that helps anything.

Maybe that is the issue. I looked an the 65XE supply I have is 1A. I looked on ebay for 1.5A but only MyAtari had them and they wanted a crazy amount after shipping. Is it safe to make my own? I have a few 5v 3A power supplies form a past project I did.