IGNORED

Error 140 - SIO framing error

Frankie

I'm getting this error on an 800 with Incognito installed. I'm not sure when it's started as I don't use SIO devices that often. It had been working normally for some time.

Now suddenly anything I try and connect to it I get this error.

I don't even know where to start looking. It happens on more then one device and those devices work fine on other Atari machines (800XL/1200XL)

Can anyone give me some ideas on where to start looking?

Frank

I've had SIO issues on 800s due to a bad PIA chip. Unusually high

rate too. Have 3 800s, needed two 68B21 PIA replacement chips

before a disk drive would start booting again. Didn't have a means

to capture the error code itself, sorry. I think it's just early

silicon wasn't up to snuff just yet, have no other reason for it.

could be a timing issue with the dos and the supplied bios... I had that problem with sparta dos and reading certain drive formats on XF551's. the xf's work fine with all other DOS but I am not sure people take into account 50/60 on alot of things these days and close enough means occasional glitches sadly

Can anyone give me some ideas on where to start looking?

There can be various reasons for this problem. One is that the baud rate of the main system is different from that of the drive. This is usually an indication that the drive wants to talk in high-speed SIO, but the main system is not. So you are then probably using an incompatible dos with the drive. In general, these devices *should* work fine with the standard Dos 2.0S, but who knows?

Another reason might be just too much noise on the SIO bus, e.g. the cable is too long, or broken, or the contacts are dirty.

Physically, a framing error indicates that POKEY did not receive the stop bit where it expected it to be, so the serial protocol broke.

In my quest to swap out chips the problem stopped. The thing is everything is back the way it was. So for now it's working. I imagine it will startup again and I will have to hunt down the real-culrip.

Could very possibly have been due to poor contact between pokey and its socket.

• Like 1