IGNORED

Collector's and Classic Editions - BRAND NEW games

Duddie

Here's my 2 cents..

I love the idea of the collection, it is very collectable BUT and its a big but, TAPES....They will always put folk off..

I do understand that Eastern Europe etc got very in to tapes for economic and distribution problems of disk drives etc and they also very cleverly invented a mod to 'turbo' those tapes which in turn kept tapes popular but everywhere else had jumped ship from tapes as soon as they either could afford a disk drive or simply when the disk drives came out, the turbo system never really caught on, there was no internet to find out about it and again people heard tape and just turned the page.

So you have a serious problem trying to expand the sales of this collection on tape, if the sales have been low on AA then you really have a big clue as to how anywhere else will react, AA folk are very in to new stuff and show great interest in it unless its an odd product or there's other types of the same thing. I would imagine the US would show no interest as with the UK on tape, disks however should prove a different story and I know Duddie has plans for disks. The only other option is carts and from what I've heard its an expensive route for a private individual to take on.

The other problem you have is that its a collection of stuff that's been around the net for ages so its really only geared to collectors...

Duddie, don't put too much of your cash in to this, grab what's out there as it is and I Imagine the disks will be better sellers.

The tapes are ultra niche....

(I almost feel like one of the Dragons on Dragons Den and its at this point I say, "I'm sorry I'm not going to invest for those reasons and that's the reason I'm Out!")

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Darwinmac, I am not allowed to remove copy protection - license doesn't allow me to do it.

Duddie,

Thanks for giving me this information. I have downloaded the games from Atarimania to use as a demo. I hope to have time to play them this weekend. If they are interesting to me, and available in disk form, I will be interested in buying them. Since I did not own an Atari 8-bit back in the 1980s and 1990s, I try to support people developing and selling original copies of software.

Bob C

I am somehow missing this page to be translated to English, so as a prospective and curious buyer from the USA, I would like to know more about the editions. Google translate can only do so much for one. I still believe if the specifics of the US market are covered (english, pages in english, emphasis on floppy disks), it might work.

What is more, if I fall to belief in stereotypes, a heartbreaking story of Polish Atari scene that resulted in production of well-crafted games of the early 1990 introducing the offer could help :-)

Well, as some of you already know, I a sell old stock of limited Polish titles too. For example T34, Operation Blood (also lightgun version), Eureka and other titles. These are the ANG Software editions of Mirage titles (including some Spektra titles, for example we translated Inside! into English). ANG Software had an exclusive license to sell these titles outside Poland. Back in the old days we (I was a part of ANG) already choose to publish these on disk only in Western Europe. ANG sold these titles directly to the consumer, but was also a wholesaler of these titles for companies like Powersoft Germany, Derek Ferns Micro Discount in the UK and Best in the US (Nice to see they still sell them CharlieChaplin!). The cassette format was already dead in Western Europe at that time and still is. Like CharlieChaplin already stated, Europe was flooded with Polish titles. You could buy them everywhere.

I don't think you should release those titles on cassette. It will only cost you money. Besides that (this is my PERSONAL opinion) you should lower the costs of your packaging. I think the packaging does really look good, but it makes the selling price too expensive. My old ANG editions are still selling quite well and they are ofcourse in their old packaging, which is a color A4 size paper (printed in back and white) folded with a disk in it. It does not look very nice, but that was what the ANG packaging was in those days. I sell these games for 4 euros each, so that is a very low price.

Maybe you can simplify the packaging a bit. For example use an A5 jewelcase. I use this jewel case too for my ANG Greatest Hits release and Powersoft/Pro© Atari used my idea too. Put a nice full color cover in it, there is extra room for maps, stickers etc. That will lower the costs significally and the extra plus is that one or more of these jewelcases fit in a bubble-wrap envelope (jiffy) easily, so the shipping costs will be much less. And you can re-use the jewel cases if one title does not sell well.

4yjcJSf.jpg

But my advice is, stop with producing tapes. Baktra stated that the Benelux/UK market can be interesting (I am on Atari Sector too), but take it from me: it is not. Sorry ;)

Edited by Fred_M

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, first four titles in new collector's edition are available! Very famous titles, I would dare to say, the best titles! Disk version, with maps, posters, in jewel cases. If you are interested in, please send PM. I will list them on ebay by tomorrow, but price will be higher than directly. Price per title is $25. Shipping to US will not exceed $12 I think.

If these titles will be successful , I will release more.

post-37739-0-00535500-1522076935_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-13203500-1522076957_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-28973200-1522076982_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-44920600-1522077016_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-46188600-1522077153_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-81070400-1522077183_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-07373800-1522077212_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-41037700-1522077249_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-34012400-1522077289_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-03952500-1522077417_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-73176400-1522077577_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-96294000-1522077611_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-08694300-1522077793_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-68847100-1522077965_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-34469500-1522078004_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-59496200-1522078049_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-84380300-1522078197_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-13866300-1522078315_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-59396900-1522078340_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-54993900-1522078372_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-93081300-1522078424_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-59334300-1522078577_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-48773000-1522078616_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-42357000-1522078651_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-05791800-1522078777_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-64062700-1522078938_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-76754400-1522079057_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-48654300-1522079197_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Duddie,

I hope you did not pay a lot of money for the licenses of Misja and Fred. LK Avalon sold the rights to these games to Qeurope Agency in The Netherlands to reproduce and distribute the games outside Poland and later on also Zeppelin Games had a license to sell these games as Fred and Mission Shark in the UK.

More info here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/85924-different-versions-of-fred-and-misja-mission-shark/?p=1044614There is one mistake in the reply I gave in that thread of 2006. ANG bought the rights of Qeurope for Misja and Fred and sold these 2 games with reproduced disks and specially made covers. All other LK Avalon titles were not reproduced by Qeurope/ANG.

So to be honest, the guy/company (?) who you are paying for these licenses can only ask you money for the rights to sell these games in Poland. This is also the same for Mirage/Spektra games as ANG owns the licenses outside Poland.

We (ANG) don't mind you are selling these games outside Poland, really not at all, and we don't want a license fee. We made all those titles Public Domain in 2006. But we hope you did not pay a lot for these licenses because the company/guy(?) you are paying can only sell you the licenses of Mirage, Spektra and the games Fred/Misja for Poland.

Again we don't mind at all and you are creating wonderful packaging for these games. But we don't want you to reproduce the ANG titles or modified by ANG titles (some where distributed by Mirage in Poland), which are: Operation Blood for the lightgun, T-34, Johnny the Ghost, Thinx, Whoops 1 and 2, Shit, Basicdup, Home Studio, Inside (English version), Mines, Simple Minds, Zebuland Utlity Disk, Colorfont Editor, Hack Picture II, Saper Constructor and the stereo versions of Zybex and Draconus.

Best regards and good luck with the sales,

Fred

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know that there is not much interest about tape games which I re-release under licence, but some people collect them still. Next 5th set of ten titles has been released. What is worth mentioning, two tapes - Gabi And Kuadryk released by Spektra have also turbo signal versions - AST, Blizzard and KSO Turbo 2000, plus of course Normal version. They may be used to check your turbo-modified Atari tape decks.

I included also panoramic view of all 50 available titles. 60 will be available soon!

For those of you who don't have tape decks, I will have an offer: special interface, which allows connection of every tape player (deck, desktop player, walkman etc.) to Atari computer. What is most interesting, it will serve all Turbo systems!

post-37739-0-59385600-1530035418_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-78192500-1530035435_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-02244900-1530035451_thumb.jpg

post-37739-0-08059200-1530035470_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Fred, I obtained a written permission from Polish companies. Therefore I feel it is okay. Anyway, I do not sell more than 20 copies of each title, Boing II much less even. Speed Fox? Which title do you mean?

You have not reproduced Speed Fox yet, but that is another title released by ASF which is © Tiger Developments UK. It is a similar construction like some Zeppelin games which were rereleased by LK Avalon and the MD (Tynesoft) games Tagalon and The Last Guardian which were rereleased by Mirage in Poland.

Okay, I will destroy a few left copies of Boing II. I respect copyrights, it is not a problem if there are doubts.

I don't think you have to destroy them. I was just asking about the permission you have to sell these non-Polish games outside Poland.

Edited by Fred_M

Thanks for letting me know, Fred. I suspect that after 20 or more years, they do not know if they (ASF, LK Avalon, Mirage) can provide a license still. No problem, I will destroy Boing II copies. I will ask you about other titles which are being prepared now as a 6th set. Maybe by tomorrow.

One thing should be mentioned here: my idea was to save these games from oblivion. That's why I keep all copy protections intact. I do not earn money on this project, selling 20 copies do not cover production costs: artwork remastering, labels, inlays, holograms - everything is professionally printed in factory - not homemade. Tapes are brand new, not new old stock.

But my dream is to re-release all titles previously released in Poland as a one, unified collection.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know, Fred. I suspect that after 20 or more years, they do not know if they (ASF, LK Avalon, Mirage) can provide a license still. No problem, I will destroy Boing II copies. I will ask you about other titles which are being prepared now as a 6th set. Maybe by tomorrow.

No problem, I am always willing to help.

One thing should be mentioned here: my idea was to save these games from oblivion. That's why I keep all copy protections intact. I do not earn money on this project, selling 20 copies do not cover production costs: artwork remastering, labels, inlays, holograms - everything is professionally printed in factory - not homemade. Tapes are brand new, not new old stock.

But my dream is to re-release all titles previously released in Poland as a one, unified collection.

Your intentions are good Duddie, I have no doubt about that. I only tried to let you know that some Polish releases are rereleases of games which are © by other companies. I don't mind that you are selling these tapes. I am not the owner of these copyrights. Like I wrote in my posts of March 2018, I can only say something about ANG Software products which were released in Poland ;)

I was trying to obtain licenses also for UK or US titles - I have contacted many companies. Unfortunately, nobody replied with "Yes, we are interested in". Some companies did not reply, some replied that they do not know who is the copyright owner today, and some told me that they sold all Atari titles to other company. F.e. Mastertronic. I know how difficult it is today to obtain a license for 30 years old games.

Anyway, if someone is willing to help me with this, I can release even cartridges with superbly printed boxes and other add-ons.

Fred, I am going to release: Dark Abyss (Mirage), Kolony (Mirage), Jaskiniowiec (Stanbit), Kręgi Zagłady (ASF), Kupiec (ASF), Muff-Drutt (ASF), Smuś (LK Avalon), Vicky (LK Avalon), Władca (Mirage), Deathand (Stanbit) - is any of them known as ©?

Fred, I am going to release: Dark Abyss (Mirage), Kolony (Mirage), Jaskiniowiec (Stanbit), Kręgi Zagłady (ASF), Kupiec (ASF), Muff-Drutt (ASF), Smuś (LK Avalon), Vicky (LK Avalon), Władca (Mirage), Deathand (Stanbit) - is any of them known as ©?

No, as far as I know these are all genuine Polish games ;-)

When you look at the entries on atariki.krap.pl you can see for which games Polish publishers had sublicences:

Edited by Fred_M

• 3 months later...