IGNORED

Collector's and Classic Editions - BRAND NEW games

Duddie

On 10/10/2019 at 7:13 PM, Duddie said:

Some photos of box content. Around 50 copies left! If you'd like to order yours, please PM me or send e-mail to orders(at)retronics.eu

20191010_144151.jpg

Looks great! Just ordered a box - luckily I noticed it before it is sold out... ?

I hope my order arrived in good time.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

On 10/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, Duddie said:

Some photos of box content. Around 50 copies left! If you'd like to order yours, please PM me or send e-mail to orders(at)retronics.eu

20191010_144151.jpg

20191010_144221.jpg

20191010_144233.jpg

20191010_144250.jpg

20191010_144313.jpg

20191010_144333.jpg

20191010_144348.jpg

20191010_144407.jpg

20191010_144425.jpg

Is the rope to hang ourselves if we get too frustrated with the game and decide to end it all?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 1:48 PM, gorgh said:

Hello, im the author and to be honest I encounter this bug for the first time...my collegue reported me similar case but he was able to gain control over the character after a moment

Thanx for the reply!

For now it did not happen again. I will keep an eye on it keep you informed.

Nevertheless, it's a really great game.

Thank you and best regards

Indiana-Duck

Edited by Tigerduck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to ordering some of these fantastically packaged games myself this year. Rescue Expedition was my first, but not my last.

@davidcalgary29 are those the floppy disk versions you got? I'm planning on ordering some games on tape, disk and cartridge.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'm looking forward to ordering some of these fantastically packaged games myself this year. Rescue Expedition was my first, but not my last.

@davidcalgary29 are those the floppy disk versions you got? I'm planning on ordering some games on tape, disk and cartridge.

These are all on floppy. I don’t believe that they’re getting cartridge releases, but Duddie can correct me if I’m wrong.

@davidcalgary29 I don't know for sure, but I was just corresponding with Duddie this very morning about a tracking number to follow my copy of Rescue Expedition, and I commented that I would be purchasing more games from him in the next few months, and he specifically asked me if I would be wanting cartridge versions, or disk or tape. I replied "all of the above" because I intend to buy at least one classic tape set from him, and then some other titles on disk, like you, and, of course, I might decide to buy a cartridge game or two IF he has them, now that he said what he said.

As far as I knew, before today, only Rescue Expedition and maybe one other game(?) had been released on cartridge by him. He told me his website for direct sales would be up and running in a few weeks, probably before I'm ready to order anything more anyway, so I've resigned myself to wait and see, and purchase the games through his site instead of via PM's or through eBay. His site will show all he has in stock, and not what is sold out, like the big-box collectors edition tape versions, only the jewel cased classic editions are left, and he said he could be out of them soon too. I think he intends to only do disk and cartridge releases after that, however, as you said, Duddie can correct me if I'm wrong.;) But if he sells out of the classic tape editions before I'm ready to purchase, I'll just buy more disk versions. Or, possibly cartridge versions?:-o Maybe he's going to start selling multi-game carts of some of the tape and disk games?:-o If he didn't think of or intend to do that, maybe I just gave him the idea and instill the seed of fruition?:-o

EDIT: actually, I don't think @Duddie will mind if I do a direct quote from our PM's:

Me: "thank you, and I do still intend on buying some more of your game collections, if available, at some point in the next few months. Do you have a site where all the titles you currently have are listed/shown?"

Duddie: "My website with shop is being prepared, will be available in a few weeks. Are you interested in cartridge versions only? Or tape/disk too?

Cheers,

Jurek"

Edited by Gunstar

On 10/11/2019 at 4:25 AM, Philsan said:

I have disk drives and tape recorder connected to my computer but when I buy games I prefer cartridges, more collectible and faster to load.
Moreover, carts have plenty of memory for enhanced games and can save states or high scores.
Anyway, I like floppy disk and tape releases too!

Sorry for a late reply to an old post, but I was just browsing through the thread again to get an idea of what there is and what's sold out. etc.

Anyhow, your post struck me, because you mentioned carts having more memory for enhanced games. And I thought about tapes and that actually you can get some pretty long tapes (and use both sides if needed) for expanded memory games, but could you imagine the load times?!?:-o 

Maybe just very limited edition ones use with turbo enhanced tape drives like Turbo 2000/6000, Rambit, etc. Even with =<64K cassettes, the ones I collect I eventually plan on recording turbo versions of them onto the back side.

I like the durability of cartridges, and besides digital download it is the most feasible way of getting large games published these days, without multiple disks. Especially when you can purchase flash carts like Atarimax's in bundles ant 128K and 1024k sizes. And it's true that disks and tapes limit the audience since many don't use them anymore. Or limit the audience even further by using enhanced or double density disks formats to avoid multiple disks. 

But I like hardware, I like using hardware, repairing and upgrading it, which includes the good old tape and floppy drives. Of course they are upgraded to run the fastest, but I'll still wait for 20 minutes so I can use my 1010. I just browse an Atari magazine or book and keep an eye that it loads properly. And I just get such a kick out of playing games that make use of two or more floppy disk drives, with little or no swapping. I dreamed of that back in the day and now it's a reality, so I love to use my floppy drives, especially with Alternate Reality The Dungeon that allows me to use 4 disk drives and 128K of memory.

So I'll buy whatever format is released, if only one, or I just do eeny-meeny-miny-mo to choose media format on any given game.:P 

Honestly, in this situation with so many Retronics releases I want, I'll probably get as many titles as I can on tape, because they are half the price of the disk versions, at least I think so, I think disk versions are all collectors versions with extras though, which is why they are more. What I can't still get on tape, I'll get on disk, if still available at the time, I can't afford to spend hundreds to get the entire set at once, and shipping is expensive too. So the reality is I will probably by mostly tape and disk versions myself, even if more collectible and sturdy carts versions exist, just because they are easier on my wallet.

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Duddie, can any tape release utilize the Turbo loading system?

I'm not sure if he's the guy to ask, he's not doing anything with turbo tapes as far as I know, it's my own personal little project to convert them. @baktra is the expert on that stuff and his Turgen system does all sorts of things with tape conversions. Or instructions and software available on the net along with the instructions/guides/schematics to make DIY boards converting tape drives to use Turbo tapes. All Duddie's tapes are just standard load speed tapes made for standard stock Atari tape drives.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

@davidcalgary29 In fact, David, when I put turbo versions of Duddie's games on the backside of the tapes, I won't even be copying the original intact versions from the tapes to use, I will be using .xex files of the games downloaded from archives that will then be converted into tape images with the program that turns them into turbo tape images, then converted to .wav, then recorded from my PC directly onto the tape in the 1010 through my stereo mini-headphone/mic I/O jack I installed on my 1010 when I made my Rambit upgrade and installed it. I've written a little BASIC program to control the motor on the 1010 and I push record.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Duddie, can any tape release utilize the Turbo loading system?

David, I release them exactly in form as they were released in the past - not removing copy protection systems. Most of them are very interesting and I have never seen them in games released by big companies in western countries. From this point of view, they are a part of collector's thing :)

Of course, today they can be easily removed, my intention was not to protect games (my new releases are free of copy-protection), but to keep them as a historical item.

Therefore I am not able to convert them to turbo systems, because it would require a copy protection removal (I cannot do this according to licenses). But, two games re-released some time ago - Gabi and Kuadryk, have turbo versions too. Every tape has three copies of the game: Turbo 2000, Blizzard and normal.

Of course, you can do what Gunstar suggested. Download unprotected games from the net and put them in turbo on side B, if available - some games are double sided! F.e. Klątwa, Magia, Władcy Ciemności and some more.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:27 AM, Duddie said:

Probably a few pieces of tape and disk will be released later. It is interesting, because when I started releasing tapes and disks, many people complained that only cartridges are smart option, because few people have tape decks or disk drives. Now situation is opposite.... ;)

It is always difficult to satisfy everybody. What is more, complex games are not so easy to adapt from disk to cartridge and vice versa. All media have advantages and disadvantages.

Tapes: 

+ Not a problem to get blank media

+ Inexpensive

- Terrible loading times

- Without involvement of tape authoring company, it takes time to record them in large quantities

- Not too much reliable

- Users do not have data recorders

- Loading extra game data is difficult

- Releasing bug fixes is near to impossible

Disks:

+ Good loading times

+ Duplication process is reasonably fast, even without involvement of an authoring company (are there companies duplicating floppies??)

+ Reliable

+ Loading extra game data is ok

+ Releasing bug fixes is reasonably possible

- Difficult to get blank media, can be expensive too

- Fewer users have real disk drives, but there is more disk drive owners than data recorder owners

Cartridges:

+ Fast loading times

+ Reliable

+ Every user has a cartridge slot

+ Very big games can run on 64KB machines
+ Hi-scores and states can be saved (requires special features, increases price)

- The game has to be designed for cartridge. Especially when bank-switching or special features are involved

- Can be difficult and expensive to design and manufacture in large quantities, depends on the special features

- More expensive for end users

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2

It is always difficult to satisfy everybody. What is more, complex games are not so easy to adapt from disk to cartridge and vice versa. All media have advantages and disadvantages.

(...)

Cartridges:
+ Fast loading times
+ Reliable
+ Every user has a cartridge slot
- The game has to be designed for cartridge. Especially when bank-switching or special features are involved
- Can be difficult and expensive to design and manufacture in large quantities, depends on the special features
- More expensive for end users

+ Very big games can run on 64KB machines
+ Hi-scores and states can be saved
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Duddie said:

We can add turbo versions for new games, but which turbo should be choosen?

That should probably be decided by a poll, since we've no real idea of how many of us are out there that actually have turbo upgraded tape drives. Mine is the Rambit, but apparently only a slight modification is needed to either Rambit or Turbo 2000 to make them compatible with each other. I haven't done this mod yet, but will if I need too for commercial releases, otherwise if I keep making turbo version for side B's myself, I'll just do Rambit. But I don't know that either one of these turbo upgrades are the most prominent among the turbo tape drive community or not. I chose Rambit because it was the only turbo tape upgrade that I could find instructions and schematics on-line for the 1010 recorder I have. 

3 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

That should probably be decided by a poll, since we've no real idea of how many of us are out there that actually have turbo upgraded tape drives. Mine is the Rambit, but apparently only a slight modification is needed to either Rambit or Turbo 2000 to make them compatible with each other. I haven't done this mod yet, but will if I need too for commercial releases, otherwise if I keep making turbo version for side B's myself, I'll just do Rambit. But I don't know that either one of these turbo upgrades are the most prominent among the turbo tape drive community or not. I chose Rambit because it was the only turbo tape upgrade that I could find instructions and schematics on-line for the 1010 recorder I have. 

In early 1990s, that would be an explosive question. Now we are smaller community, so it will just smolder :-).

My favorite choice would be Omicron Turbo, but I do not have enough evidence that it actually fully works as intended. It also provides safer (==slower) transfer speeds.

It targets the most common turbo hardware modifications, but not Rambit or Turbo 6000 (these two are simply too odd).