IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

The power supply is, IMO, the main weakness in ColecoVisions today. Often, power supplies no longer supply a sufficient voltage on the +5V line, and the graphics chip doesn't tolerate voltage drops on that line. Out of multiple old ColecoVision power supplies I've seen, only few worked well. Personally, I often used an old power supply with the +5V line supplied from a programmable power supply instead.

However, apparently someone has new power supplies for the ColecoVision. They seem to consist of a power supply capable of supplying the voltages needed by the ColecoVision, and an adapter plug to attach the 5-pin din connector on the power supply to the ColecoVision.

Who is making these? Do they work well (I've seen forum posts of people who have them, and there are no complaints so far)? What are the voltage / current specifications?

Apparently, a German shop was selling these (but they are curently sold out there). Any other places to buy them?

Philipp

Not much help, but the original brick for mine died a few years back, I opened it up... had to literally cut it open. I remember a bad transistor that I replaced to get it back alive. Granted I had to glue it back together which was not very pretty.

I wouldn't mind transplanting it into a generic project box at some point and put a proper line cord on it. But they can be repaired, most of the components are regular old parts that can be had for very little.

This really needs a sticky, because, if like myself, you have a PSU that died or didn't come with your ebay purchase then you are totally screwed.

My only option, for now, is to either buy a 74942 Canadian brick PSU and a Step-down converter. Problems then arise such as costs for both the PSU, shipping, and step-down converter. And, the risk of the converter burning out due to heat from only short usage.

Or, build a internal modded PSU. I lack soldering and electronic skills so that is out of the question.

What were Coleco thinking ? The Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, NES, etc.. all had pretty-much standard PSUs which could be replaced with modern equivalents. The TI-99/4a, is another machine with the stupid same connector as the Colecovision, but is also completely different regarding volts and amps. I ended up buying 3 of the things just to get a working TI with a PSU. So now I have 3 TI's with one PSU.

The above 2 posts are not solutions to everyone, especially the Power Mod since you would either need to send your CV to Yurkie (Not helpful to those of us who live outside the U.S.), or know someone with tech skills.

And the F18A, to me, just takes away the "retro" in these classic old machines and makes them look a bit like some emulator running on a modern TV/Monitor. The CRT hides the technical shortcomings of these old machines, while the F18A exposes them. Plus, not everyone want to de-solder their ram. I want to keep mine in it's original form.

Modding options are never a be-all-end-all solution for everyone, especially when shipping expenses both ways are factored in, but it's nice to have options.

I agree with you considering the F18A, but there are many others that absolutely love it. Funny thing is, I bought one for my Adam, but have decided not to install it and keep the system stock. I might change my mind in the future, especially if there aren't any software compatibility issues that are reported, but for now I can live with the Composite output and sprite flicker.

• 2 weeks later...

AT spec power supply have -12 and -5 with a hard on off switch.

ATX BEFORE 1.2 revision have -5V(pin 18 white wire), but have been made for about 10 years. Need to wire jumper switch for power.

I know this from apple IIgs power supply projects, but i never did because I didn't want a huge psu sitting next to it.icon_sad.gif

Note: if you look for these psu for projects - good luck - there hard to find for cheap. Try used computer palaces.

Edited by H454

Hi.

I used a PC power supply for my ColecoVision from 2010 to 2017 -no problem.

attachicon.gifpc-power-for-colecovision-2010.jpg

I now trying another power supply from China.

This is an: Min Dong MD-9916A.

attachicon.gifarcade-power-for-cv.jpg

:)

That's neat, but... uh, you didn't just add woodgrain to your ColecoVision, did you?

• Like 2

That's neat, but... uh, you didn't just add woodgrain to your ColecoVision, did you?

Well, then you'll "have to go back, way back, back to the troglodyte".

No not that far, but it was something that was inspired from the old VCS 2600 and IntelliVision.

​So I think in that time around 1984 ColecoVision also need this.

By the way, it is self-adhesive.

;)

• 3 months later...

My CV power supply has had some issues over the last few years, or at least I have come to believe it's the culprit. I have an rgb mod which I use with the xrgb miniframemeister, and sometimes the fantastic colors can be muted, dark, or just wrong. Wiggling the power cable where it connects into the CV can help or cause it to shut off altogether. I have seen power supplies sold online claiming to work for multiple systems, but have been nervous to try them for years, worrying about the fragility of my modded system. Can anyone chime in about newly made power supplies, or should I just send my CV back in to get the $50 power mod? I've been putting off a solution to this for a while since my system still works, but it can make me sad sometimes to see my CV, which I have put decent money into, not perform as well as it should.

My CV power supply has had some issues over the last few years, or at least I have come to believe it's the culprit. I have an rgb mod which I use with the xrgb miniframemeister, and sometimes the fantastic colors can be muted, dark, or just wrong. Wiggling the power cable where it connects into the CV can help or cause it to shut off altogether. I have seen power supplies sold online claiming to work for multiple systems, but have been nervous to try them for years, worrying about the fragility of my modded system. Can anyone chime in about newly made power supplies, or should I just send my CV back in to get the $50 power mod? I've been putting off a solution to this for a while since my system still works, but it can make me sad sometimes to see my CV, which I have put decent money into, not perform as well as it should.

I have the same issues and I am on my second power supply. If you think Colecovision power supplies are bad Commodore 64 power supplies can kill a Commodore 64 because the voltage outage suddenly goes bad and they can't be fixed because the components are covered in epoxy

• Like 1

I think Bmack also does these mods and I've done the power mods for both the coleco and the adam. I am not able to do any kind of mods right now but between Yurkie and Bmack you'll be set.

THis looks like a good fix that could even fit inside the console, is there an issue with this component?

I don't think so. Take a look at the dimensions of this supply under specs.

I just rebuilt my original. New caps and regulators. Pretty easy fix if you have basic soldering skills. I'm still pretty new at it. Console5.com has a kit that includes everything for like 7 bucks for both the power supply and console, although I didn't cap the console or change the chips inside the PS.

Edited by shabazz18