IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

We're currently working on a small plug that goes into the Colecovision (no modification needed) which has a Micro-USB port.

You can then simply use a normal Micro-USB AC Adaptor to power your Colecovision.

We have prototypes and will start to work on cases in September, so production should be possible within this year :)

• Like 4

The power port on a CV has four pins:

GND

+5VDC

-5VDC

+12VDC

DC-DC converters would work, But you still need to do that externally and provide a compatible connector.

Are you making a plug with the DC-DC converters in a block of some sort that has +5V from the USB as it's sole power source? Can it even supply enough current? I'm just asking, I've never measured the amp draw on a CV, but The power supply was pretty large, and I do know that it was insufficient with one of the add on modules...

Are you connecting via pins 57-60 on the expansion port? That will work, but if so, will there be a passthrough connector to allow the use of expansion modules (SGM & Atari adapter.)

???

Edited by Zonie

"AC" port on a Colecovision???

... and the -5V?

Yes, I know ;) I always say "AC" port, even if it's totally wrong... as most people think of the power connector :)

My bad.

The -5V are being created by a DC-DC Inverter.

Are you making a plug with the DC-DC converters in a block of some sort that has +5V from the USB as it's sole power source? Can it even supply enough current? I'm just asking, I've never measured the amp draw on a CV, but The power supply was pretty large, and I do know that it was insufficient with one of the add on modules...

Well, I only have a normal CV for testing here (no addons), and a flashcart (which uses more power than a normal game, so it's a good test).

The prototype samples are on the way to me, so I can test them soon :)

The CV power supply provides 0.9A with 5V (= 4.5W), 0.1A with -5V (= 0.5W) and 0.3A with 12V (= 3.6W). Alltogether, that's 8.6W.

If you use a 2A USB-Adaptor, you have 5V * 2A = 10W in theory, so that's already more than the CV Power supply provides.

There are even 3A Adaptors out there, which can provide 15W.

Sure, you've got a bit of loss with the conversions, but these losses are known thanks to the datasheets. 1.8A should be enough to provide the same power the CV power supply provides.

We'll find out how well it works in reality as soon as the adaptors arrive here :)

• Like 1

Are you connecting via pins 57-60 on the expansion port? That will work, but if so, will there be a passthrough connector to allow the use of expansion modules (SGM & Atari adapter.)

I never had any of those modules, so I'm not sure how they work.

Did they need something else except for the original CV power supply?

This is an excellent idea! So that I understand, this would be a custom made cable with the standard USB type A on one end going into a cell phone charger, and the other end would contain basically a box with the needed inverters/converters within it and then that would go out to the standard power plug that is on the CV already?

In my case I've already modded my CV with the +5 volt ram, so the -5 isn't needed on mine anymore. That would provide even less stress if any to the cell phone charger.

This is an excellent idea! So that I understand, this would be a custom made cable with the standard USB type A on one end going into a cell phone charger, and the other end would contain basically a box with the needed inverters/converters within it and then that would go out to the standard power plug that is on the CV already?

In my case I've already modded my CV with the +5 volt ram, so the -5 isn't needed on mine anymore. That would provide even less stress if any to the cell phone charger.

Yes, exactly :)

I'm planning to put this into a plastic case about the same size as the original CV plug, so it's basically the same size as the original plug but with a MicroUSB connector instead of the cable.

It works internationally, as no AC connector is included (and it's easy to get your own USB Adaptor + MicroUSB Cable anywhere, in case you don't have one yet).

I had the idea when I wanted to play with my Colecovision and tried looking for a proper Power Supply, as mine is busted as well.

An ATX power supply works, but is inconveniently big :)

And as I didn't find any (but a lot of people looking for one), I thought that there should be a way to produce one.

I was thinking about someone should just make a cable power adapter for the ColecoVision. I am glad that someone finally is doing it. Since the Coleco power supply is out of production. This is the most logical idea, beats taking the system apart and hardwiring a power supply into the ColeocVision.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issues and I am on my second power supply. If you think Colecovision power supplies are bad Commodore 64 power supplies can kill a Commodore 64 because the voltage outage suddenly goes bad and they can't be fixed because the components are covered in epoxy

Another example of how Commodore won the 8-bit price war.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm currently attending the Gamescom in Germany (as exhibitor), so that needed a lot of time to prepare.

I made a quick test with the adaptor and it basically works - but 12V is not stable yet.

Could be that my USB adaptor or the USB cable was simply cheap as the rate converter chip should be able to provide enough power (as long as the Coleco doesn't need more power than the original AC adaptor states), but I haven't had the time to analyze where exactly the power breaks down.

But it's a very good start that it works :)

In worst case we'll do it the other way round: replace the Micro USB with some barrel connector and use a 12V input, downconverting the +5 and -5V. That would help here, but a standard MicroUSB port would be nicer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

My friend wanted to test the Colecovision he bought without the PSU. Didn't work and then we verified with my own machine (from which the PSU we used was on). And it didn't start either. So, maybe my PSU has died (haven't used it for a long time) or friends Colecovision broke my PSU ;)

I measured the PSU and got only 10V from 12V line. All others seemed fine. I don't know, if I will bother to cut the PSU open and try to repair it (there seems to be a kit for this).

So I though to use an Jamma-PSU, very cheap from ebay. How much there is room inside CV? Smallest one I found was this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Output-5V-12V-24V-7A-6A-2A-Switching-Power-Supply-For-Jamma-Arcade/263237080002?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649) and I was wondering, if it would fit inside CV. Seems to have enough current output and would be very easy to install otherwise...

Hello all!

My friend wanted to test the Colecovision he bought without the PSU. Didn't work and then we verified with my own machine (from which the PSU we used was on). And it didn't start either. So, maybe my PSU has died (haven't used it for a long time) or friends Colecovision broke my PSU ;)

I measured the PSU and got only 10V from 12V line. All others seemed fine. I don't know, if I will bother to cut the PSU open and try to repair it (there seems to be a kit for this).

So I though to use an Jamma-PSU, very cheap from ebay. How much there is room inside CV? Smallest one I found was this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Output-5V-12V-24V-7A-6A-2A-Switching-Power-Supply-For-Jamma-Arcade/263237080002?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649) and I was wondering, if it would fit inside CV. Seems to have enough current output and would be very easy to install otherwise...

i use this one for years inside my cv

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Cincon/CFM40T-01/&qs=a9HUcNGsM2BO67El0yNmhQ==

I did have to cut part of the insides and mount it at an angle. But its in and looks good.

That large cavity in the front of the CV with all of the vents, and the fact that the power supply brick is larger than a brick, makes me think the original engineers had the power supply there, but moved it due to fire safety regulations.

Price is nice (and I'm a poet and didn't know it!). Though their P&P will cost 20€. Which means, that I could get 3 of those ebay PSUs at that price xD Though it would be very nice to have an internal PSU, if that one is a tight fit, then the Jamma PSU is most probably too big :)

Edited by MSuomi

Price is nice (and I'm a poet and didn't know it!). Though they P&P will cost 20€. Which means, that I could get 3 of those ebay PSUs at that price xD Though it would be very nice to have an internal PSU, if that one is a tight fit, then the Jamma PSU is most probably too big :)

yeah the basic measures on that one that DHos posted is roughly 1.2 inches tall by 3 inches wide by 5 inches long. So the height and length of the PSU aren't the issue. It is the width that made him have to install it at an angle. DHos, how exactly did you mount it inside if I may ask?

And another update:

The traces on the first version were too thin, so the power broke down too fast.

I'll receive the next samples within the next few days.

Question:

I've got a CV and a flashcart - but I don't have ANY of the accessories.

So I can test whether the adaptor works fine with the standard system - however, I'd need someone who could test and confirm that it's working with accessories as well.

Anyone up here who has the accessories for a free sample to test?

So far, I have not had any problems with my original ColecoVision power supply. I opened a new one out of the original Coleco box and it works perfectly fine. Amazing that these Coleco power supplies sometimes work after 35 years. However everything breaks over time and I am glad that people have designed 3rd party ColecoVision power supplies. There also needs to be 3rd party power supplies for the Coleco ADAM since those end up breaking over the many years.