IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

And another update:

The traces on the first version were too thin, so the power broke down too fast.

I'll receive the next samples within the next few days.

Question:

I've got a CV and a flashcart - but I don't have ANY of the accessories.

So I can test whether the adaptor works fine with the standard system - however, I'd need someone who could test and confirm that it's working with accessories as well.

Anyone up here who has the accessories for a free sample to test?

Only accessory I have is the expansion model 1. I do have the steering module, but never use it and besides that uses it own batteries as i recall?

The only two expansion modules to test with the ColecoVision power supply would be Expansion Module #1 and the Supergame module. The original ColecoVision power supply was not powerful enough to power Expansion Module #3 the ADAM computer (The ADAM uses the printer power supply to power the ColecoVision). Now if some one made a more powerful third party ColecoVision power supply maybe it could power Expansion module #3, however Expansion module #3 was never designed for use with the ColecoVision power supply.

Edited by HDTV1080P

A more powerful supply is one thing, internal wiring to handle the current of the expansion units is another. Not knowing if the problem was internal or external, I'd bet a closer look at the traces on the board might be in order. The supply may be fine, but the current drop internally on the board may be the issue? Anyone know? I have a nice little meanwell +5, -5, and 12V PWS I have yet to connect to a CV, but it is stable and works well as a bench supply.

Zonie, I would need to dig out the Coleco schematics to answer your question. However from my pass experiences using the system in the 80’s, and I also ran some extensive tests on the ColecoVision, Expansion Module #1, and Expansion Module #3 tonight that verified my memories were correct (Expansion Module #2 is just a steering wheel game controller and it has always puzzled me why Coleco named it Expansion module #2 when it does not even use the expansion slot). Then the address book dialer module that is pulse dialing only, was kind of a waste. Coleco could have instead included the feature in the released 300 baud modem if a extra phone jack was installed on the modem, or they could have released a 1200 baud or 2400 baud modem with built in auto dialer function. Why waste an expansion port for an auto dialer when a modem can do the same thing. The only advantage of the auto dialer was the hardware was at least half the price of a modem.

If one does not use the gray tray for Expansion module #3, and turns on both power supplies at once (the ColecoVision power supply connected to the ColecoVision) and (the ADAM power supply connected to the ADAM computer), the system still works since there is protection built in that does not fry the system with two power supplies at once (However I do not recommend doing this and I only left both power supplies on for 30 seconds or so. The system could become damaged if ran with two power supplies at once for a long period of time).

Anyways with the gray Expansion module #3 tray removed, and also the ADAM power supply completely removed. I plugged Expansion Module #3 the ADAM directly into the ColecoVision, then I also plugged Expansion module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter on the side of Expansion module #3. With the ColecoVision power supply plugged into the ColecoVision, I was able to use the ATARI 2600 adapter perfectly fine for picture and sound while it was plugged into Expansion module #3. However as soon as I removed Expansion module #1 from the side of Expansion module #3 the ADAM computer, I was able to see and hear the Smartwriter word processor, however the picture was a little distorted since it was like it was not getting enough power. However, my point is the ColecoVision power supply is powerful enough to allow one to see and hear Smartwriter, however the quality is poor and not useable. Even the ADAM printer power supply sometimes is not powerful enough to power everything hooked up to the ADAM computer. When the third party 2MB memory expander, two serial ports with parallel interface card, and hard drive card were all used at once, one also had to use a third party more powerful power supply for the ADAM computer so that everything worked properly.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The only two expansion modules to test with the ColecoVision power supply would be Expansion Module #1 and the Supergame module.

Three, actually. The roller controller intercepted the power supply for 5v before going into the Coleco. Although its current draw is probably minimal, still worth testing.

I have module 1, roller controller, and will have a SGM sometime in Dec (hopefully).

Edited by nick3092

Three, actually. The roller controller intercepted the power supply for 5v before going into the Coleco. Although its current draw is probably minimal, still worth testing.

I have module 1, roller controller, and will have a SGM sometime in Dec (hopefully).

Yes the Roller controller should also be tested, since like you mentioned it gets power from the ColecoVision. However when I was talking about Expansion modules, I met physical modules that plug into the Expansion module interface on the front of the ColecoVison.

• 1 month later...

Finally, I received the (probably) final revision and it runs absolutely stable without any issues in my Colecovision.

Tested multiple games as well as the AtariMax Flashcart AND let the RAM-Tester run for a few hours without failure.

I will also receive a 3D-Print of the planned case within this week and will the make a little video for you.

So, anyone here with the Expansion Module #1 and the Supergame module who could test it out?

(Preferably from Europe, as that makes shipping easier)

Edited by EvilDragon17
  • Like 1

If you do not hear from someone from Europe, then you might want to just purchase Expansion module #1 and the OPCODE Supergame module and run tests on the system yourself. I am located in the United States, and I would be willing to test it out. Just send me a private message if you are interested in shipping to the United States to be BETA tested.

There were 2 million ColecoVision’s manufactured, and I am estimating that a maximum of 1% (20,000) people still use their ColecoVision once and awhile. However I believe that more people play ColecoVision games on a Windows PC or tablet PC more than a actual console. The emulation software for the ColecoVision/ADAM is getting to be so good, that many people don’t use their old 1982-1985 ColecoVision's anymore.

Thanks for coming out with a third party power supply for the ColecoVision. I belvieve yours will be the first one on the market (There was a 3rd party power supply for the Coleco ADAM back around the late 80's and early 90's).

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thanks for the information. I use the 2 million sold number from Wikipedia. Some websites claim between 3-6+ million ColecoVision's sold. It most likely was more than 2 million but less than 3 million. Some sources place the ADAM computer selling up to 500,000, while other ADAM newsletters claim around 1 million (950,000) ADAM computers sold or manufactured.

If there was a minimum of 2 million ColeocVision's and 500,000 ADAM computers sold. Then we are looking at a minimum of 2.5 million people using a ColecoVision compatible system back around 1985 (of course one may need to subtract the Expansion module #3 ADAM computers from the number of ADAM computers sold to get a more accurate number of ColecoVision compatible systems).

Therefore, under ideal conditions back around 1985 there was around 2.5 million people using a ColecoVision compatible system. In late 2017 that number is most likely a maximum of 1% which would be around 25,000 people using their systems today. It would be interesting to know how many tens of thousands of people have downloaded a ColecoVision/ADAM emulation program from various websites (or perhaps hundreds of thousands of downloads). I strongly believe that there is a lot more people running free ColecoVision emulation software on PC’s and portable devices then actually own a real working system from the early 80’s.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Well, if 500 of the adaptors sell, that would easily be good enough to keep them within a reasonable price range :)

Seeing that the Supergame has sold 700 times, that number should be possible.

I need to check whether I can get a supergame module somewhere, but it seems they're planning a 4th production run, so I would have to wait until I can officially order it.

And the Expansion Module #1 is also not easy to get.

So yeah, I could also ship it to the US, if need be.

BTW: I'm planning a new controller as well... similar to the NES one, but with more rounded edges (more comfortable) and the keypad where Start and Select is :)

But that's for next year, let's first finish the Power Converter first :)

• Like 2

Are you using an USB power supply because the 5V out is regulated?

I'm just wondering why not use a barrel connector for strength?

Female board mount Mini/micro usb are usually where something breaks.

I've just had so many connectors I fixed over the years it just leaves me with a bad option of them. :(

But, the design looks great! I can't wait to try it!

Edited by H454

Are you using an USB power supply because the 5V out is regulated?

I'm just wondering why not use a barrel connector for strength?

Female board mount Mini/micro usb are usually where something breaks.

I've just had so many connectors I fixed over the years it just leaves me with a bad option of them. :(

Because USB is so common these days.

Also, that USB Port has proper pegs going inside the PCB, it's not purely surface mounted. It's really strong.

USB is so common these days, that new homes in America have 5 volt USB ports built into the standard 120 volt electrical outlets in the wall. Also all new surge protectors and power strips have USB ports built in. Also the new 2018 cars and trucks have USB ports built in. The other advantage of this USB adapter, is consumers can purchase a standard USB wall transformer that works on both 120 volts or 220-240 volts. This new ColecoVision power supply can be sold and used anywhere in the world.

I see the BETA prototype version of this product has a white plastic case around the circuit board. Cosmetically this USB product needs to be black to match the original black ColecoVision console.

I wish there was a version of this USB adapter made for the Coleco ADAM standalone and the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer.

Edited by HDTV1080P

No worries about the color, of course the final version will be black :)

When using 3D printing services, standard white is usually fastest and cheapest.

Don't worry about the price right no - I'll try to keep the retail price below 20 EUR, though that mostly depends on the interest.

Production costs won't be high, but the mold and development costs need to be earned as well.

• Like 2