IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

Great to see some interest here :D

I've already supplied the finished case and PCB files to get quotations for a mass production run :)

Is this the same evildragon that was associated with the Pandora debacle where I ended up loosing several hundred dollars? Never received what I paid for?

Hopefully electronic payment like credit cards and PAYPAL will be accepted. Also hopefully this item will have at least a 90 day warranty. This looks like a excellent product that will be bundled with a plug adapter for any place in the world. Just slide 1 out of 4 different plugs on the USB transformer depending on where a person lives.

Is this the same evildragon that was associated with the Pandora debacle where I ended up loosing several hundred dollars? Never received what I paid for?

Yes and no. If you ordered from me, you have received your Pandora. If you ordered from Craig in UK, then you probably didn't... and no one (not even me) knows what he did exactly with the money.

I've lost 150K EUR thanks to him... great time :/

Hopefully electronic payment like credit cards and PAYPAL will be accepted. Also hopefully this item will have at least a 90 day warranty. This looks like a excellent product that will be bundled with a plug adapter for any place in the world. Just slide 1 out of 4 different plugs on the USB transformer depending on where a person lives.

Well, my shop (www.dragonbox.de) accepts PayPal, Amazon Pay, CreditCards, Bank Transfer, Bitcoins, etc.

And as we're sitting in Europe, a 2 years warranty is required anyways for any product :)

If you do not hear from someone from Europe, then you might want to just purchase Expansion module #1 and the OPCODE Supergame module and run tests on the system yourself. I am located in the United States, and I would be willing to test it out. Just send me a private message if you are interested in shipping to the United States to be BETA tested.

So far, I have not had an offer from Europe and I could not get hold of the Supergame module.

So yes, if you would like to test it for me, I'd send it to you :)

Unless someone else here from Europe contacts me before next week :)

Some more update:

I received quotations for the production costs for PCBs and the cases.

With 500pcs. planned, we can't sell them for a price below 20 EUR, but we should be able to manage 25 - 30 EUR, so not too bad.

Just as a quick information :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be in for one of these.

Also...

I know it's unrelated, but have you taken over Wannado's work on an NES adapter for the Retrode?

The thread over at the Retrode forums seemed to point in that direction.

Just curious.

Well, not taken over - but I'll try to find out how easy it would be to switch from his prototypes to a mass production run...

I am glad a third party power supply is being developed for the ColecoVision. Maybe once this project is completed, someone might be interested in making a third party power supply for the Coleco ADAM computer. ADAM computer owners need some type of third party power supply also.

Well, depending on how well it sells and how complicated that would be, I'm up for it :)

Though I'm also thinking about an NES-Style controller for the Colecovision with DPad and buttons and instead of SELECT + START a small numpad... but I first want to finish this power supply.

I have a lot of ideas but way too little time... that's always an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

tarkus666 has been testing the adaptor, and so far, it works fine with various Colecovisions from different regions, modded and non-modded AND including the accessories.

Only one minor issue left: There's some interference in the picture, which is worse the cheaper the USB adaptor is.

That shouldn't be a big thing though, probably only needs a different sized capacitor on the PCB.

I'll test the adaptor with an Oscilloscope to see what frequency needs to be filtered out from what power trace.

I've seen that on my Colecovision as well when I tested it - however, I thought that it might be my Coleco that's broken here (I bought it with a defective power adaptor and did an AV mod, so I thought the interference comes from that...)

But yay, it's working fine so far, so once that issue has been fixed, it's mass production time :)

• Like 3

Try a USB adapter that has several certifications like UL, CE, and FCC, and the USB adapter should have a Ferrite Bead on the power cable that filters out EMI/RFI noise. USB power adapters with these Ferrite Beads are more expensive. You might need to put some type of Ferrite Bead inside the adapter your making so that it filters out EMI and RFI noise (also RF interference can be filtered out with capacitors like you mentioned). This is also what some companies do to make their products being able to pass certifications like FCC, etc.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I have 3 power supplies in case one breaks. Most seem to go for $40 + $10 shipping right now on eBay with quite a few being available. Consider buying a back-up while they're not more expensive later or worse no longer available. You can use the back-up while you repair or replace a broken one so you're never without.

All my retro consoles are plugged into 2 power strips both with surge protectors but I generally leave them "hot" AKA plugged in and ready to be powered on. That may be bad for the components but also may be good to keep them always warm which is better than cold hot cold hot etc. leading to breakage. Some people may keep things unplugged from electrical outlets by default if not being used. I'm not sure which method is best though as far as prolonging the lifespan before breakage.

Try a USB adapter that has several certifications like UL, CE, and FCC, and the USB adapter should have a Ferrite Bead on the power cable that filters out EMI/RFI noise. USB power adapters with these Ferrite Beads are more expensive. You might need to put some type of Ferrite Bead inside the adapter your making so that it filters out EMI and RFI noise (also RF interference can be filtered out with capacitors like you mentioned). This is also what some companies do to make their products being able to pass certifications like FCC, etc.

Sure, the good ones do have that. But we also want to filter out any noise from them as good as possible :) That won't hurt :)