IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

(Also, you should, like, look into making a power supply for the Amiga CD32. Because it totally needs one.)

Hm. I would find the CD32 being one of the easier consoles to power. It uses a "common" 4 pin DIN connector and is wired for +5VDC, +12VDC, GND, same pinout as the 1541-II and 1581 (though different amperages). The fourth pin is unused as far as I can tell. No need of negative voltages of any kind, no proprietary connector that nobody knows what it once was called, no crazy AC voltages. I would think that replacement PSUs for the CD32 already are on the market, if you can't have someone to DIY it for you.

Hm. I would find the CD32 being one of the easier consoles to power. It uses a "common" 4 pin DIN connector and is wired for +5VDC, +12VDC, GND, same pinout as the 1541-II and 1581 (though different amperages). The fourth pin is unused as far as I can tell. No need of negative voltages of any kind, no proprietary connector that nobody knows what it once was called, no crazy AC voltages. I would think that replacement PSUs for the CD32 already are on the market, if you can't have someone to DIY it for you.

Well... I still have an idea... when it's finished, we might make a redesign for other consoles / computers. Using a 4-pin Molex connector and custom made cables, so you could for example buy the universal USB power plug and a CD32 cable that plugs in there and use it for the CD32.

I first need to check out what consoles / computers could be powered with that and where the connector can also be easily bought.

So yeah, a universal one with different plug-in cables might be a good idea after that.

Still, the Colecovision one can't easily be made like that, as it has a custom connector that can't easily be bought, so the universal one won't replace the Colecovision plug.

Well... I still have an idea... when it's finished, we might make a redesign for other consoles / computers. Using a 4-pin Molex connector and custom made cables, so you could for example buy the universal USB power plug and a CD32 cable that plugs in there and use it for the CD32.

I first need to check out what consoles / computers could be powered with that and where the connector can also be easily bought.

So yeah, a universal one with different plug-in cables might be a good idea after that.

Still, the Colecovision one can't easily be made like that, as it has a custom connector that can't easily be bought, so the universal one won't replace the Colecovision plug.

Been following this, as both mine and my friend's Colecovisions PSUs have died...

One that I would be very interested in, is Sinclair QL PSU. Bought a refurbished unit something like a year ago, without PSU and it has turned out to be a VERY difficult to find a replacement. And almost impossible to find an original one...

So a list of systems that can be powered by +5V DC and/or +12V DC? I understand that you're generating -5V DC for the ColecoVision as well. Are you able to obtain -12V DC too?

Quite the point. As you know, there are a bunch of other systems which use the same connector, but different voltages and pinouts which is why there a market for two different products here, which you currently are combining into one:

1. USB to 5V/12V adapter

2. Four pin connector that fits ColecoVision, TI-99/4(A), Spectravideo SVI-318/328/728, FD-148 floppy drive and a bunch more applications

• Like 1

So a list of systems that can be powered by +5V DC and/or +12V DC? I understand that you're generating -5V DC for the ColecoVision as well. Are you able to obtain -12V DC too?

Quite the point. As you know, there are a bunch of other systems which use the same connector, but different voltages and pinouts which is why there a market for two different products here, which you currently are combining into one:

1. USB to 5V/12V adapter

2. Four pin connector that fits ColecoVision, TI-99/4(A), Spectravideo SVI-318/328/728, FD-148 floppy drive and a bunch more applications

Yes you make some good points. The TI-99/4(A) has the exact same power connector as the ColecoVision, the only thing that needs modified is the voltage and pin configuration.

As a side note, it recently was brought to my attention that the four prong power supply to the Commodore oriented FD-148 floppy drive (possibly also BlueChip, which I think is the same drive with different labels) may be labeled Spectravideo. It is not as strange as it sounds, since the drives and the Spectravideo computers seem to use the exact same AC voltages, amperes and pinouts.

First it was SV-318/328 only: http://computarium.lcd.lu/photos/albums/SPECTRAVIDEO_328_MKII/album/slides/DSC02650.JPG

Then it was "fits any Spectravideo": https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZLAonFLa41E/VG3lgr5_oBI/AAAAAAAAD5E/8aiZykgYYi0/s1600/svi%2B728%2Btransf.JPG

FD-148 power supply in white: http://blog.worldofjani.com/wp-content/uploads/fd148_03.jpg

FD-148 power supply in black, labeled as a Spectravideo power supply: http://bilgisayarlarim.com/Spectravideo/SVI-728/16.jpg

Blue Chip 1541 power supply: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/blue%20chip/1541%20clone/PS.jpg

Blue Chip 128/1571 power supply: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/blue%20chip/1571%20clone/PS.jpg

Why change a winning concept? I'm sure there are even more applications of this connector than the above listed use cases.

Though I realize obtaining 9V AC 1.5A + 16V AC 0.8A from an USB port might provide some challenges, not just to generate a sine wave (pulse wave probably not so good) from DC but to get all that power through the connector, so in that case better try to find an inexpensive dual voltage transformer and just provide the connector.

• 4 weeks later...

I cobbled one together from an old PC power supply years ago. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I'd just like something that looks a bit more professional. The reason they put power supplies inside computers is because they're far from presentable when they're outside the case... a big metal box with a tangle of wires springing out of it.

Yes an old ATX or PS/2 style power supply that has -5 volts can be modified to work with both the ColecoVision and ADAM computer if one has the original Coleco power cord with connector (or one needs to make the cable and connector themselves).

However several years ago the PC industry discontinued all power supplies that have a -5 volts output. Even if one was willing to pay $400+ for a top of the line modern ATX power supply they do not have -5 volts. Once and awhile one can find a dealer with some old discontinued stock of computer power supplies under $50 that offers -5 volts feature (And some of them for $20 and under are poor quality power supplies with interference issues).

It is too bad no one makes a ATX power supply anymore that offers -5 volts. Also none of the -5 volt models are modular in design. It would be ideal to have a modular ATX power supply that offered -5 volts since it would not void the warranty since no internal modification would be needed, instead a external ATX modular plug going to a Coleco ADAM or ColecVision style power cord could be easily made. However PC power supply manufactories stopped making -5 volt power supplies long before modular power supplies became a reality.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Startech and ICPamerica sell PSUs that supply -5v on pin 23 of the ATX connector. The -5v, from what I understand, is needed for ISA hardware.

There are thousands of old computers in commercial/industrial sector that are 20-40 years old that need to be kept running.

The shop my uncle works at uses a CNC system so old, it will only read files from a 720k 3.5 disk.

https://www.startech.com/Computer-Parts/PSUs/ATX-Power-Supplies/300-Watt-Replacement-ATX-Power-Supply~ATXPOWER300

Startech also still makes NEW AT PSUs as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005133U/ref=twister_B07D4Y6552?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I3CO4J473UDC13&colid=AFG0R2G5Z5K1

https://www.icpamerica.com/ace-a130b/

ICP seems to be more geared to the industrial side of things, judging buy the prices.

Startech and ICPamerica sell PSUs that supply -5v on pin 23 of the ATX connector. The -5v, from what I understand, is needed for ISA hardware.

There are thousands of old computers in commercial/industrial sector that are 20-40 years old that need to be kept running.

The shop my uncle works at uses a CNC system so old, it will only read files from a 720k 3.5 disk.

https://www.startech.com/Computer-Parts/PSUs/ATX-Power-Supplies/300-Watt-Replacement-ATX-Power-Supply~ATXPOWER300

Startech also still makes NEW AT PSUs as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005133U/ref=twister_B07D4Y6552?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I3CO4J473UDC13&colid=AFG0R2G5Z5K1

https://www.icpamerica.com/ace-a130b/

ICP seems to be more geared to the industrial side of things, judging buy the prices.

I have contacted over a dozen high-end ATX power supply manufactories, and I have been told that ATX power supplies with the -5volt feature was discontinued several years ago. Also its impossible to find a -5 volts power supply that is modular in design since none were every made. What happen is that -5volts is optional after ATX12V version 1.2 or 1.3. When the ATX standard made -5 volts optional, all or most all power supply manufactories stopped offering the -5volts feature.

I am aware of the StarTech 300 watt ATX replacement PC power supply is still in stock (but I doubt it is still being manufactured). I did not like the StarTech 300 watt ATX power supply specs since the mean time before failure rating is listed as only 40,000 hours. I am currently testing an Apollo 400 watt power supply with the ADAM computer since it has a 100,000 hour mean time before failure rating (accepts 88-264 volts AC between 47-63Hz). Also the two fans are whisper quiet. Runs around $35+ for the power supply.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I use a Meanwell RT-50A

$16.

med_gallery_3653_2233_1693863.jpg

That 50 watt Mean Well RT-50A power supply for only around $16 is an amazing price. However, there is a reason why I did not go with that power supply or any other similar triple voltage output power supply or arcade style power supply that offers -5 volts. None of them offer a 3 prong AC outlet to plug in a standard AC power cord. Instead, one has to hardwire a power cord directly on the power supply and then the terminals are in the open which could be a hazard if someone were to touch or drop a piece of metal around 120 volts AC. Now one could hardware an optional external on/off switch with 3 prong power cord outlet but then one would need to mount the power supply in a special case. If they would just make one a little bit more expensive with a built in on/off switch and AC power cord socket then that would be ideal. I am also looking for something that has FCC certification. I do see the Mean Well RT-50A has UL, CE, and CB certification which is amazing for the price (No FCC certification is mentioned in the specs).

They offer a 3 year warranty on this Mean Well RT-50A power supply. With all or most ATX power supplies no longer offering -5volts output, products like the Mean Well RT-50A power supply and other arcade power supplies have become popular. However with a ATX power supply I get FCC certification, built in on/off switch with built in 3 prong AC power cord outlet. Also with an ATX power supply one gets a fan and the Coleco power cable can be wired and routed inside the ATX power supply case to make sure no bare metal terminals are exposed. However, it took several months to locate a quality ATX power supply that has -5 volts feature. One -5volt ATX power supply had to be returned since it had interference issues on the ADAM computer and when it arrived was not FCC and UL certified like the manufactory claimed.

Here is the PDF specs and manual for the Mean Well RT-50A if anyone is interested.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Any news on a possible release date for these ColecoVision power supplies? :)

Yes. CE/FCC certification is set for Aug. 8th and then I can start the mass production (which usually takes a couple of weeks).

I'll probably do a free preorder soon, so I know how many I need to produce.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yes. CE/FCC certification is set for Aug. 8th and then I can start the mass production (which usually takes a couple of weeks).

This is great news! Thanks for doing this, I'm so much looking forward to getting my ColecoVision fully operational.

Hey,

Totally not trying to be a dick here.. I did offer you genuine help, and was excited to assist.

Is there a particular reason my private conversation follow ups on the promised and shipped, then “lost” unit for beta testing have been ignored? You were looking into this ages ago and never followed up to my replies and left me in the dark?

Hey,

Totally not trying to be a dick here.. I did offer you genuine help, and was excited to assist.

Is there a particular reason my private conversation follow ups on the promised and shipped, then “lost” unit for beta testing have been ignored? You were looking into this ages ago and never followed up to my replies and left me in the dark?

You aren't, and I'm sorry for not replying (I simply didn't find the time and later forgot about it).

I've started an inquiry but that can take weeks and I haven't heard anything yet.

Thankfully, we had 8 other users who received it and for all of them the adapter was working great and without any issues, so everything has been tested and is working fine.

I guess I'll simply send you another one as compensation for the lack of replies even though a test is not needed anymore.

• Like 1

I thank you for that, much appreciated...

Great news on the testing, that's wonderful and a testament to the quality and engineering behind it.

Since I planned on ordering two with the cases once they're ready/certified, how about I pick up the price of 1 and the overall shipping cost and if you wish to include a second one as stated I'll be quite pleased. That is very kind of you.

Regards,

-Jason

You aren't, and I'm sorry for not replying (I simply didn't find the time and later forgot about it).
I've started an inquiry but that can take weeks and I haven't heard anything yet.
Thankfully, we had 8 other users who received it and for all of them the adapter was working great and without any issues, so everything has been tested and is working fine.
I guess I'll simply send you another one as compensation for the lack of replies even though a test is not needed anymore.

I thank you for that, much appreciated...

Great news on the testing, that's wonderful and a testament to the quality and engineering behind it.

Since I planned on ordering two with the cases once they're ready/certified, how about I pick up the price of 1 and the overall shipping cost and if you wish to include a second one as stated I'll be quite pleased. That is very kind of you.

Yes, we can do that as well.

Just let me know when we're ready and I'll send you a voucher code for that :)

• Like 1