IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

I just received another ATX power supply made in China from a USA dealer that I purchased this week. The USA dealer advertised online the power supply having -5 volts at up to 0.8 amps, however those specs are far from reality. The power supply also on the retail box and actual specs on the power supply label says it outputs -5 Volts at up to a maximum of 0.8 amps. However, when I connected the ATX power supply up I discovered that it does not output -5 Volts like advertised. What has happen is all ATX power supply companies over the last few years have stopped offering the -5 Volts feature since it is no longer required after ATX version 1.2 or 1.3. Some of the power supplies that had -5 Volts went completely out of production, and the other ones kept the same model number but removed the -5 Volts from both the power supply and the official power supply specs. However, there are some companies for several different model numbers that have removed -5 volts feature but never removed the -5 volts from the official specs printed on the power supply label. Therefore finding -5 volts on an ATX power supply in 2018 is almost impossible unless a dealer has old inventory.

If one needs the -5 volts feature on an ATX power supply, stay away from the Athenatech brand. Both the Athenatech PS-450WX1 and the Athenatech PS-400WX1 (UPC#875783009706) are models that have removed the -5 Volts feature but still list the -5 Volts feature in the manufactories specs on the power supply label. I have always said that when a manufacturer changes its specs on a model that has already been released, then that manufacture should be required to stop making that model and come out with a new model in order to avoid consumer confusion. To make matters worse when a manufacture like Athenatech removes a feature like -5 volts from a power supply they should be required to change the label on the power supply so that the -5 volts feature is no longer listed.

When and if this special ColecoVision USB power supply converter is released on the market. I hope the next power supply converter will be for the Coleco ADAM computer since it has advanced Supergames, etc. There are many ColecoVision owners that purchased Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer since certain people were able to obtain a working ADAM power supply but had a hard time finding a working ColecoVision power supply. The nice thing about Coleco’s expansion module interface is one can bypass ColecoVision power supply socket and using a product like the ADAM computer to power the ColecoVision. Technically its possible for someone to come out with a power supply for the ColecoVision that plugs into the expansion module interface if they did not want to use the existing power supply socket on the ColecoVision.

post-10892-0-21616200-1532742377_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

That 50 watt Mean Well RT-50A power supply for only around $16 is an amazing price. However, there is a reason why I did not go with that power supply or any other similar triple voltage output power supply or arcade style power supply that offers -5 volts. None of them offer a 3 prong AC outlet to plug in a standard AC power cord. Instead, one has to hardwire a power cord directly on the power supply and then the terminals are in the open which could be a hazard if someone were to touch or drop a piece of metal around 120 volts AC. Now one could hardware an optional external on/off switch with 3 prong power cord outlet but then one would need to mount the power supply in a special case.

Why not do what I do? Once I wire something up that has the potential to shock someone, I just put a big old glob of hot glue over the exposed wiring. Just be careful when globbing onto a PCB as it can corrode in some cases (Google it if you have any questions). The glue is non-conductive and can handle the heat that 110v can generate.

Why not do what I do? Once I wire something up that has the potential to shock someone, I just put a big old glob of hot glue over the exposed wiring. Just be careful when globbing onto a PCB as it can corrode in some cases (Google it if you have any questions). The glue is non-conductive and can handle the heat that 110v can generate.

Thanks for the information. I am currently testing a Apollo 400 watt power supply and have been trying different brands and models since I am looking at producing more then one power supply. If I end up not finding good quality legacy -5 volts ATX power supplies. Then I may use a switching arcade style power supply like you are doing, but if I was to sale the product to someone that needed a power supply I would want to mount it in a professional case with a AC power cord socket and on/off switch.

Edited by HDTV1080P

If it is the power supply I am thinking of, I might be interested in just a case for it. Will you be selling the cases by themselves or the power supplies and cases together?

I am working on a case for a replacement power supply for the Adam that I will be selling soon. It is based on a replacement PS that I have been using for over 2 years that has never once given me issues in multiple Adam's

Milli

In the late 80's and also in modern times many people that had broken ADAM printers removed the power supply from the ADAM printer and used that to power their ADAM computer (And one mail order company in the mid to late 80's was selling surplus new Coleco ADAM power supplies that were the same ones designed for the ADAM printer). However the problem with using the internal Coleco ADAM printer power supply outside of the ADAM printer case is that it is a safety issue since there is no cover on the power supply. Places like ADAM House (eColeco) came out with a custom cover that screwed on to the side of the ADAM printer power supply to cover the electronics. It works really good.

I am all for third party companies coming out with a replacement Coleco ADAM power supply. The last replacement power supply for the ADAM computer was back in the late 80's and went out of production in the early 90's. It was based of a PS/2 power supply converted to work on the Coleco ADAM computer.

It has been mentioned that once the USB adapter for the ColecoVision is released that a similar adapter with a ADAM power plug might be released.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I used an old joystick cord for my power cable.

The same one - has never failed me yet :) I will probably be doing just the case too - am trying to make it as off the shelf as possible, only issue I have is the cable - wishs I could find a supply of original adam power cables or a pile of old printers that can not be salvaged.

Milli

The same one - has never failed me yet :) I will probably be doing just the case too - am trying to make it as off the shelf as possible, only issue I have is the cable - wishs I could find a supply of original adam power cables or a pile of old printers that can not be salvaged.

Milli

The original Coleco ADAM printer cable plastic mold DB9 end fits the best on the memory console, and that is a heavy gauge designed for power. In addition that original Coleco DB9 power cable received UL certfification since it was part of the UL listed Coleco ADAM printer power supply. Many years ago ADAM House (ECOLECO) was selling original Coleco ADAM printer DB9 power cords. I think they are out of stock now but you might want to check with them to see if they have anymore.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like a few if these!

UK has a real issue as the blocks are flooded with some sort if resin, so once the caps go it game over. I've been looking for an JAMMA supply that will fit in the case, but they are all huge. This is great news to me.

Also, did the poster above me put it in the wrong thread? Seems out of context?

Okay, CE/FCC tests have been done today and the adapter passed :D

So it's time to prepare the production (finally :D)

Just a quick question:

Do you think an Indiegogo / Kickstarter would be good (gives a better coverage) or should I just setup a preorder myself and start the production?

I'll take two!

Okay, CE/FCC tests have been done today and the adapter passed :DSo it's time to prepare the production (finally :D)Just a quick question:Do you think an Indiegogo / Kickstarter would be good (gives a better coverage) or should I just setup a preorder myself and start the production?

Personally, I'd prefer you to do yourself. I'll take two also :)

No on the Kickstarter. Do it yourself. More control over everything.

Okay, CE/FCC tests have been done today and the adapter passed :D

So it's time to prepare the production (finally :D)

Just a quick question:
Do you think an Indiegogo / Kickstarter would be good (gives a better coverage) or should I just setup a preorder myself and start the production?

I know I'm wandering into this thread late, but was wondering: does the ColecoVision power supply NEED to be a honkin' big brick? OR could something much smaller (or even inside the case) perform the same function?

There are two ways to power the original 1982-1985 ColecoVision. The first and most popular method is to use the ColecoVision's rear 4 pin power jack. The second method is to have a hardware/power supply plugged directly into the ColecoVision's expansion module interface (The Expansion module #3 ADAM computer powers the ColecoVision over its expansion module interface, and someone could make a SGM or other hardware device that powers the ColecoVision just like the ADAM computer does).

In answer to your original question, the new ColecoVision power supply adapter plug that is being developed well allow one to use a very small wall transformer that looks similar to the one in the following link.

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Micro-USB-Charger-Raspberry-Pi-Adapter/dp/B00L88M8TE/ref=sr_1_47?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526965347&sr=1-47&keywords=5V+3A+MICRO+USB+POWER+SUPPLY

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

I know I'm wandering into this thread late, but was wondering: does the ColecoVision power supply NEED to be a honkin' big brick? OR could something much smaller (or even inside the case) perform the same function?

As someone else posted, the new switching style power supply being designed here is much smaller. It will use a usb power adapter to power it.

The original linear supply was large for a couple of reasons. First you had the transformer. That took up about half the brick alone.

Then, unlike most other consoles that had the voltage regulator inside them (vs inside the wall wart/brick), the Coleco has three voltage regulators (generally consoles of the era had 1, maybe two regulators - Coleco had 3) with massive heat sinks mounted in the brick, along with a few big capacitors for filtering the output. There was no ventilation slots on the brick, so I assume that's why they used such large heat sinks. Most other consoles of the same era that housed the regulators inside the console itself had vents to allow air to move through them to help cool them, so they could use standard sized heat sinks.

Edited by nick3092
  • Like 1

Yes, it is possible to have an internal power supply. Here's one I did years ago using a Cincon CFM40T-01 switching power supply. While this provides all three voltages it is rather expensive. I wired mine up so that it also provides power to what was normally the power input, allowing a roller controller to be plugged into, and powered by, the console.

post-5757-0-47352700-1533931263_thumb.jpg

post-5757-0-29829400-1533931307_thumb.jpg

post-5757-0-74723700-1533931324_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A internal AC to DC power supply would have been ideal if it was originally part of the 1982 ColecoVision design. However I personally prefer a external power supply since it is so much easier for all ColecoVision owners to install. Many people do not want to internally modify their ColecoVision especially if it means drilling new holes in the case.

Edited by HDTV1080P

A internal AC to DC power supply would have been ideal if it was originally part of the 1982 ColecoVision design. However I personally prefer a external power supply since it is so much easier for all ColecoVision owners to install. Many people do not want to internally modify their ColecoVision especially if it means drilling new holes in the case.

Years ago this was the neatest solution for me and some others also desired this approach. However, with these new USB pug in adapters on the horizon internal supplies now seem rather complex and overkill (but I still prefer them to the standard brick any day).