IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

I just wish this product had been split into two parts, with some commonly available interface (Molex connector?) inbetween them. One half to convert from Colecovision power connector to standard Molex, the other half to plug in a USB power source and generate the desired voltages used by the Colecovision. If it had been a two part solution, later on additional adapters could be made to generate AC voltages onto the Molex connector to be used with e.g. Spectravideo computers or TI-99/4A. As it stands, this is a product that only can be used with the ColecoVision.

I just wish this product had been split into two parts, with some commonly available interface (Molex connector?) inbetween them. One half to convert from Colecovision power connector to standard Molex, the other half to plug in a USB power source and generate the desired voltages used by the Colecovision. If it had been a two part solution, later on additional adapters could be made to generate AC voltages onto the Molex connector to be used with e.g. Spectravideo computers or TI-99/4A. As it stands, this is a product that only can be used with the ColecoVision.

That is planned, however, for the Coleco, you would need to get that weird plug - and therefore would have to produce them yourself, which would add again to the total costs.

Don't you already manufacture the uncommon plug, except that you bake it all into one device? The part that produces +5V, +12V, -5V out of USB power perhaps has additional applications, but I was mainly thinking about the plug half, if the two had been separated from the beginning you would have two products to sell, either separately or combined for bigger turnover.

That's much too wide - it will not fit inside a CV.

Yeah, might be. Haven't really checked them out properly. As I said earlier, haven't had a time ;) Just marked them "on my radar" as a possibility. Either internal or external...

Edited by MSuomi

I would like to see a Coleco ADAM USB power converter that used a DB9 style power connector. The same ColecoVision voltages are used in the Coleco ADAM but more of a current draw on the ADAM. The main thing that would need to be changed is the circuit board would need to be placed in a Coleco style DB9 plastic case.

Edited by HDTV1080P

In theory it should be possible to get a cable manufactory to make an 18 gauge or 20 gauge 6 feet cable with the 4 prong plastic connector that is being used by the ColecoVision, TI-99/4a, and Spectravideo systems. Then one wires the 4 power wires at the end of the 6 feet cable to the custom power supply.

However it would be possible to have Dragbox or some other company make a 4 prong plug for the TI-99/4a and the Sprectravideo system (Since an estimated 3 million TI-99/4a computers were made then that power adapter should be made first and the Spectravideo adapter would be less popular since maybe only 100,000 of those systems were made).

The Ti-99/4a and Spectravideo 4 prong plug would need to convert DC to AC voltages. There are 65 watt USB type C power adapters on the market that well output 20 volts DC at up to 3.25amp if handshaking occurs between the adapter and the power supply that tells the power supply to switch to 20 volts DC at 3.25amps. The 4 pin USB C power converter would need to convert the 20 volts DC to the proper AC voltage that is needed by the TI-99/4a and Spectravideo system.

The other solution would be to not use USB at all since USB only offers DC voltages. With a 100% AC design, then one could purchase a dedicated AC power supply that would plug directly into the 4 prong AC power converter. One AC power converter would be wired for TI-99/4a AC voltages and then another one would be wired for Spectrvideo AC power voltages. All three power converters would need to have some type of color code so that someone does not plug the wrong adapter into the wrong system and fry one of their systems.

The other solution would be to not use USB at all since USB only offers DC voltages. With a 100% AC design, then one could purchase a dedicated AC power supply that would plug directly into the 4 prong AC power converter. One AC power converter would be wired for TI-99/4a AC voltages and then another one would be wired for Spectrvideo AC power voltages. All three power converters would need to have some type of color code so that someone does not plug the wrong adapter into the wrong system and fry one of their systems.

Creating a high-voltage (220V / 110V) power supply is almost impossible, as certifications and safety testings cost more than 10k EUR.

That's the reason we had the USB idea - I first wanted to simply create a new power supply for the Coleco, but that's almost impossible.

Creating a high-voltage (220V / 110V) power supply is almost impossible, as certifications and safety testings cost more than 10k EUR.

That's the reason we had the USB idea - I first wanted to simply create a new power supply for the Coleco, but that's almost impossible.

I am actually talking about buying a 24 volt or 18 volt AC wall transformer and then having it plug into a 4 prong voltage converter like the Coleco USB plug, but a plug designed for TI-99/4a and Spectravideo systems.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/power-supplies-external-internal-off-board/ac-ac-wall-adapters/135?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv1989=0&sf=0&FV=ffe00087&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

Edited by HDTV1080P

All these alternative ideas are fine and dandy but this thing exists here and now so why not just pick one up :)

I am in the process of getting some, have to wait for it to arrive. I was just adding to the conversation that people would also like to see one of these plugs for the ADAM, TI-99/4a, and Spectravideo system sometime in the future.

• Like 1

These USB-C style products can be complicated. I am looking for the best quality charger and cable. However most of the time one cannot use a 85 watt or 65 watt USB-C charger with this Coleco compatible product since some multi voltage chargers put out 0 voltage unless the connected device handshakes with the charger to tell the charger what voltage to use. In addition, this Coleco USB power converter is not designed to handshake with a smart USB C power adapter. Another issue is the select few 85 watt and 65 watt USB-C chargers that do default to 5 volts DC at 3 amps instead of 0 voltage without a handshake, are really outputting a maximum of 15 watts when 5 volts is being used. Which means a dedicated 17 watt 5 volt 3.4 amp USB-C charger is a better solution for the ColecoVision when compared to a 65 watt and 85 watt charger that actually only puts out 15 watts at 3 amps maximum if one can get it to work with the ColecoVision.

When it comes to 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power adapters, I was not able to find one in a single port design. They all have a combo port design. The 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters model ASSA83ac-050340 has an input voltage of 100-240 volts with 50/60Hz at 0.5amps. The output voltage is 5 volts DC at 3.4 amps for both the USB-C port and the USB-A port according to the specs. However, that is a shared 3.4 amp rating, so as soon as one plugs in two devices the maximum output well be 3.4 amps that is shared between the two ports (plug in only one device and that device has full access to the chargers 3.4 amps). This 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters USB-C power supply has an energy efficiency level VI from the Department of Energy (which is required by law on all external power adapters manufactured or imported into the United States since Feb 2016). In addition, this Cables Matters 17 watt adapter is UL listed and since it does not have a built in USB-C power cord it allows one to plug in just about any length of cable like 3.3 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet, etc. The 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters model ASSA83ac-050340 in theory should be the best solution for the ColecoVision and it costs around $11.00 delivered (I have not tested it yet on the ColecoVision to see how well it works).

Then one well need a USB-C male to USB-C male power cord to go with the above adapter. Since the above 17 watt adapter can put out a maximum of 3.4 amps, I went with a Gold plated 6 feet USB-C cable that is rated at 5 amps and 100 watts of power with a nice thick cable for around $9 delivered. (I have not tested it yet on the ColecoVision to see how well it works).

Therefore, I am paying around $40 for the 4 pin ColecoVision USB power converter, then around another $20 for a high quality USB-C power adapter with gold plated USB-C power cord. I just realized my final cost for this 17 watt ColecoVision project is around $60. If one wanted to sale this item on Amazon or EBAY they would need to mark it up around 20% to break even ($72). So selling it online at around $79.99 would be around a $5 to $8 profit. One can purchase a 550 watt ATX power supply with the original 4 pin ColecoVision power cord for $89.99 (or around $55 if one installs the Coleco wire harness on the ATX power supply themselves instead of buying it online). The only real advantage of this Coleco USB power converter is the small size of the adapter, but the time involved in researching and choosing compatible USB-C chargers and cables is disappointing. It might be a few weeks before I get everything and verify that everything is working. I am not a fan of USB charging and power technology because of all the different incompatibility issues.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I just came here to say that I just plug the USB-C into my televisions built-in USB input and have had no issues. No need to look for a wall adapter. Of course, if most of you are using old CRT monitors, you probably don't have a built-in USB input on your set. I also have a CRT that I've use with the Colecovision, but in that case I just plug the cable cable into one of my computer's USB ports that are right nearby. Just out of curiosity I ordered this cheap "Premium USB-C 3.1 Type C Data Sync Charging Cable + 5V 2A Wall Charger Adapter" for under $3 from Ebay to see if it works properly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-USB-C-3-1-Type-C-Data-Sync-Charging-Cable-5V-2A-Wall-Charger-Adapter/232239870694?hash=item36129332e6:m:m7NeaqSdeRwi7iRma2Ftzbw:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Thanks for the information. That is an excellent price for the 3 pack. You are only paying around $4.19 cents for a 10 watt 5 volt DC charger that outputs 2 amps. The other awesome thing about that $4.19 10 watt adapter you purchased is that it has the required level VI energy efficiency, plus both FCC and UL safety certifications. You must be using some type of USB to USB-C adapter cable with this 2 amp adapter. That is good to know that a minimum of 2 amps is all that is needed for the ColecoVision.

I went with the 17 watt 3.4 amp adapter for $11 just to make sure I would have enough power for just about any future expansion modules. Sometimes 10 or 15 years later when power supplies age they start to put out less amperage compared to when they were first purchased. Therefore, if I start out with 3.4 amps maybe 10 years later this charger might be only putting out 2 amps or 2.4 amps. I also noticed that the USB-C cables come in 3 amp and 5 amp capacities and since I purchased a 3.4 amp USB-C power adapter I needed to go with a more expensive Gold plated 5 amp cable which can also handles 100 watts if a 20 volt 5 amp device is every used with the cable. Therefore the power adapter and cable puts me at around $20. Where as someone else might be able to get lower capacity power supply and cable for around $10 in order to save some money.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

I just came here to say that I just plug the USB-C into my televisions built-in USB input and have had no issues. No need to look for a wall adapter. Of course, if most of you are using old CRT monitors, you probably don't have a built-in USB input on your set.

Your mileage will vary greatly with this approach. Many older TVs with USB ports were limited to the 500ma spec. Even newer TVs have some ports limited to 500ma, and some ports can do more. While some may be able to exceed 500ma, some may not be able to supply the full 2A required.

• Like 1

Your mileage will vary greatly with this approach. Many older TVs with USB ports were limited to the 500ma spec. Even newer TVs have some ports limited to 500ma, and some ports can do more. While some may be able to exceed 500ma, some may not be able to supply the full 2A required.

True.

I run those LED stick-on back lighting on a couple of tvs and to get them to work on some you have to trim leds off until the power consumption lowers.

Most tvs can't power a RasberryPi Either.

Mine showed up Friday via the slow shipping method (I ordered during the pre order). I haven't had a chance to pull out the CV yet and try it. I have no doubts it will be fine though. I like the fact it came with a pretty professional looking box.

Edited by nick3092