IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

These USB-C style products can be complicated. I am looking for the best quality charger and cable. However most of the time one cannot use a 85 watt or 65 watt USB-C charger with this Coleco compatible product since some multi voltage chargers put out 0 voltage unless the connected device handshakes with the charger to tell the charger what voltage to use. In addition, this Coleco USB power converter is not designed to handshake with a smart USB C power adapter. Another issue is the select few 85 watt and 65 watt USB-C chargers that do default to 5 volts DC at 3 amps instead of 0 voltage without a handshake, are really outputting a maximum of 15 watts when 5 volts is being used. Which means a dedicated 17 watt 5 volt 3.4 amp USB-C charger is a better solution for the ColecoVision when compared to a 65 watt and 85 watt charger that actually only puts out 15 watts at 3 amps maximum if one can get it to work with the ColecoVision.

When it comes to 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power adapters, I was not able to find one in a single port design. They all have a combo port design. The 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters model ASSA83ac-050340 has an input voltage of 100-240 volts with 50/60Hz at 0.5amps. The output voltage is 5 volts DC at 3.4 amps for both the USB-C port and the USB-A port according to the specs. However, that is a shared 3.4 amp rating, so as soon as one plugs in two devices the maximum output well be 3.4 amps that is shared between the two ports (plug in only one device and that device has full access to the chargers 3.4 amps). This 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters USB-C power supply has an energy efficiency level VI from the Department of Energy (which is required by law on all external power adapters manufactured or imported into the United States since Feb 2016). In addition, this Cables Matters 17 watt adapter is UL listed and since it does not have a built in USB-C power cord it allows one to plug in just about any length of cable like 3.3 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet, etc. The 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters model ASSA83ac-050340 in theory should be the best solution for the ColecoVision and it costs around $11.00 delivered (I have not tested it yet on the ColecoVision to see how well it works).

Then one well need a USB-C male to USB-C male power cord to go with the above adapter. Since the above 17 watt adapter can put out a maximum of 3.4 amps, I went with a Gold plated 6 feet USB-C cable that is rated at 5 amps and 100 watts of power with a nice thick cable for around $9 delivered. (I have not tested it yet on the ColecoVision to see how well it works).

Therefore, I am paying around $40 for the 4 pin ColecoVision USB power converter, then around another $20 for a high quality USB-C power adapter with gold plated USB-C power cord. I just realized my final cost for this 17 watt ColecoVision project is around $60. If one wanted to sale this item on Amazon or EBAY they would need to mark it up around 20% to break even ($72). So selling it online at around $79.99 would be around a $5 to $8 profit. One can purchase a 550 watt ATX power supply with the original 4 pin ColecoVision power cord for $89.99 (or around $55 if one installs the Coleco wire harness on the ATX power supply themselves instead of buying it online). The only real advantage of this Coleco USB power converter is the small size of the adapter, but the time involved in researching and choosing compatible USB-C chargers and cables is disappointing. It might be a few weeks before I get everything and verify that everything is working. I am not a fan of USB charging and power technology because of all the different incompatibility issues.

Some brief comments

I received the 17 watt 3.4 amp Cable Matters model ASSA83ac-050340 USB charger, and the retail box says its FCC certified along with UL listed (plus the required energy efficiency level VI that is listed on the label on the charger itself). However, on the outside of the retail box it makes a suggestion that it is split amps instead of shared amps: “USB C-port charges up to 3 amps”, “USB-A port charges up to 2.4 amps”. I believe that is incorrect information because on the physical charger itself and also in the documentation on the Amazon website it says that the amps between the two ports are shared, and it shows on the adapter if only one cable is connected then the USB A port receives 3.4 amps or the USB C port receives 3.4 amps (Only if two devices are connected at the exact same time well the charger go into shared mode where each port competes for the 3.4 amps). The Gold Plated 6 feet USB-C cable that is rated at 5 amps and 100 watts of power with a nice thick cable worked perfectly with the 17 watt 3.4 amp charger.

** This is not a user review and I am not yet ready to recommend the product since more extensive testing needs to be done. I also I am not sure I will be making the time to write a user review in the future . **

The Col USB plug for the ColecoVision is very lightweight and the circuit board was produced in a professional automated factory using miniaturized surface mount components. The Col USB comes in a colorful box with a nice easy to understand manual. However, this one sentence in the manual is hard to understand: “To use it, simply the ColUSB into your ColecoVision”. I would recommend future versions of the manual to be revised to replace that sentence with “Plug the ColUSB into the ColecoVisions 4 prong power jack that is located on the back of the ColecoVision console.”

When I first connected the Col USB plug to the 17 watt 5 volt USB-C 3.4 amp charger using a high-end Gold Plated USB-C cable, the ColecoVision turned on and worked fine. The RF channel 3 picture and sound quality was also good thanks to the quality USB-C cable and the FCC certified charger that has EMI/RFI filters built in so the picture quality has no video/audio interference from the power source. I also connected the Roller controller and played Slither, which ended up working fine. I also connected the Expansion Module #1 Atari 2600 adapter and everything was working fine with plenty of power. However while retesting the ColecoVision with the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD Wafer Drive and the ATARIMAX USB 128 in 1 cartridge something happen to my perfectly working 1982 ColecoVision that caused the ColecoVision to malfunction and force the 74LS541 ColecoVision controller number 2 chip to be stuck in the down position so that cartridges like the ATARIMAX cartridges could not be used. After the problem occurred I disconnected the Col USB power supply and then attempted to use the original ColecoVision power supply, original Coleco ADAM power supply with Expansion Module #3, and various third party ATX power supplies, however I have isolated the problem to a defective 74LS541 ColecoVision controller number 2 chip. At this time I believe that the 74LS541 chip going bad while using the Col USB plug was a coincidence and the problem in theory had nothing to do with the Col USB plug. I have plenty of working ADAM computers, but that was my last of the perfectly working ColecoVisions from around 1982 (I think I sold my original ColecoVision that I purchased around August or September of 1982 at a Adam’s user group and this ColecoVision might be one I ended up getting in 1985 or later). I well need to replace that 74LS541 chip which should fix the problem. I am in the process of getting at least one and possible three more ColecoVision game systems to test with the Col USB adapter. Used and as is untested ColecoVisions cost around the same price that one paid for a new one back in the early 80’s. In addition, the other day I saw someone on EBAY selling a brand new ColecoVision for around $2,300. I would rather purchase a 65 inch 4K Ultra HD OLED flat panel screen for around $2,300 and enjoy some 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movies. All this 37 year old classic equipment is expensive and hard to maintain, and it’s starting to breakdown (But the manufactory date is around 1982 and this is the first time that it needed to be repaired). After extensive testing, perhaps sometime in Feb or later I might write a brief user review, and as long as I do not experience a serious problem or duplicate problem, I will not mention the 74LS541 chip going bad while using the Col USB plug, since the evidence well most likely point to just a 37 year old ColecoVision getting old and going bad.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I am very happy with my COLUSB, although there are still occasional video glitches and the RF/Composite cable doesn't help much. I chalk it all up to just being an old unit and that's seen better days but I suppose it could be the USB cable and plug. I did do the power switch mod on it a while back which helped but, in all honesty, I'll be replacing it altogether once my CollectorVision Phoenix arrives. The Phoenix can do so much more and will get the HD/super clean graphics I want.

This whole paying $300+ for an old unit to upscale into HD isn't for me. Paying ~$200 for a new Phoenix unit that does so much more (Atari 2600, MAME, SD card slot, HD Graphics, etc) is much more sensible. I don't really care too much if I play on original hardware, it's not like it's really so nostalgic, or all the YouTube "experts" that promote this idea (that original hardware is the only way to go). Plus the Phoenix is a lot smaller so it will fit nicely into my entertainment cabinet and allow for other consoles, like my Dreamcast, to fit with it.

Edited by malarrya

I am very happy with my COLUSB, although there are still occasional video glitches and the RF/Composite cable doesn't help much. I chalk it all up to just being an old unit and that's seen better days but I suppose it could be the USB cable and plug. I did do the power switch mod on it a while back which helped but, in all honesty, I'll be replacing it altogether once my CollectorVision Phoenix arrives. The Phoenix can do so much more and will get the HD/super clean graphics I want.

This whole paying $300+ for an old unit to upscale into HD isn't for me. Paying ~$200 for a new Phoenix unit that does so much more (Atari 2600, MAME, SD card slot, HD Graphics, etc) is much more sensible. I don't really care too much if I play on original hardware, it's not like it's really so nostalgic, or all the YouTube "experts" that promote this idea (that original hardware is the only way to go). Plus the Phoenix is a lot smaller so it will fit nicely into my entertainment cabinet and allow for other consoles, like my Dreamcast, to fit with it.

That's cool man but this isn't a Pheonix thread this is a new power supply for the colecovision thread :)

The ColUSB works perfectly with my heavily modified ColecoVision. No troubles whatsoever.

If you're experiencing graphic glitches, it's probably the RF cable, if you're still using one of those (and god, I really hope you're not), as well as a power switch that hasn't been refurbished or replaced altogether, coupled with old DRAM that hasn't been replaced.

I'm going to put mine through its paces and will report back if I experience any hiccups along the way. :thumbsup:

Ugh I missed getting one of these. Was too broke during the holidays. Is there anywhere still selling them? I noticed the console5.com shows it Out of Stock. Will they be getting more at any time?

They are supposed to be getting more but sounds like they are having some logistical issues with getting things sorted out with Dragonbox for a new delivery

so we can still place an order? i was going to wait for console5 but would like to have it sooner.

I dunno, I tried to create an account on Console5.com to allow them to let me know when they are back in stock, but it just says "Something is wrong" when I put in and submit my info.

I've tried about a half dozen times. Doesn't say exactly what is wrong, I tried using different passwords with no luck. Don't want to miss out out in when they do get them back in, I guess I'll try again later.

I dunno, I tried to create an account on Console5.com to allow them to let me know when they are back in stock, but it just says "Something is wrong" when I put in and submit my info.

I've tried about a half dozen times. Doesn't say exactly what is wrong, I tried using different passwords with no luck. Don't want to miss out out in when they do get them back in, I guess I'll try again later.

Just follow this thread. I'm sure it will be announced here when they are back in stock.

Did you use their contact form to let them know you were having issues creating an account? And I didn't think you had to have an account to be notified when stock was back in? Thought you just provide them the email and that is it? I don't know for sure since I have an account with them anyway and have for several years now. I tend order stuff monthly.

Did you use their contact form to let them know you were having issues creating an account? And I didn't think you had to have an account to be notified when stock was back in? Thought you just provide them the email and that is it? I don't know for sure since I have an account with them anyway and have for several years now. I tend order stuff monthly.

On the product page it says: "Sign up to get notified when this product is back in stock" when I click that link it just takes you to the Customer Login / New Customer page. Still not working, I will use the contact form thanks.

On the product page it says: "Sign up to get notified when this product is back in stock" when I click that link it just takes you to the Customer Login / New Customer page. Still not working, I will use the contact form thanks.

Did you create an account when presented with that page?

Why not just order straight from dragonbox? That's what I did and everything worked out fine. It didn't take that long to arrive.

Is it more expensive to order from them since it's outside the U.S. ? I would do that for sure.

ColecoJoe, yes I tried to create an account like 8 times using various passwords and even a couple different emails. Just says the same thing..."Something Went Wrong" but it never says what went wrong.

I have that meanwell. It is fine. Hacked the old PWS cable to it. It does NOT fit inside.
The "weird" plug is replicated by the clever socket placement on the PCB. I like his solution.

Out of the box thinking. If he was in AZ, I might offer him a job.

Edited by Zonie

If you're experiencing graphic glitches, it's probably the RF cable, if you're still using one of those (and god, I really hope you're not)

RF interference doesn't cause glitches. Static, yes. In severe cases, distortion. But not true graphical glitches.

Also, that is very much personal preference. I choose to play all my old RF only consoles using RF. It closely matches what I remember as a kid. Which is why I like it, nostalgia.

Don't force your views on others by implying it's causing their problems when it's not.

Edited by nick3092