IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

Obviously it doesn't. What I meant is someone mistaking interference as a graphical glitch. A power switch that hasn't been refurbished and failing RAM will cause glitches, especially on a ColecoVision.

I'm not forcing anything on anybody by the way. I'm not sure how what I said was taken the wrong way but it was definitely misinterpreted. If RF works for you and you're happy with it, cool. More power to you and good luck.

RF interference doesn't cause glitches. Static, yes. In severe cases, distortion. But not true graphical glitches.

Also, that is very much personal preference. I choose to play all my old RF only consoles using RF. It closely matches what I remember as a kid. Which is why I like it, nostalgia.

Don't force your views on others by implying it's causing their problems when it's not.

Yeah, I had that same problem...finally gave up.

I dunno, I tried to create an account on Console5.com to allow them to let me know when they are back in stock, but it just says "Something is wrong" when I put in and submit my info.

I've tried about a half dozen times. Doesn't say exactly what is wrong, I tried using different passwords with no luck. Don't want to miss out out in when they do get them back in, I guess I'll try again later.

I ended up getting a second ColecoVision that is in excellent working condition. I tested it with an original ColecoVision power supply, original Coleco ADAM power supply, and various high-end ATX power supplies that had Coleco wire harnesses. I then connected the Col USB plug to the ColecoVision and it has been working fine for a few days of extensive testing using a memory stress testing program that runs 24 x 7 when I am not actually using the system. So far no errors. I have spent several hours manually testing the Col USB plug with the 17 watt 3.4 amp Cables Matters power supply and gold plated USB-C cable that I mentioned about earlier.

So far this product has been awesome putting out a nice stable voltage for all pins. The Expansion Module #1, Roller Controller, and to my surprise even the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer works. This Col USB with the attached quality USB-C gold plated cable and 17 watt 3.4 amp power supply is so powerful that the ColecoVision was actually powering my ADAM computer with perfect onscreen colors and a working ADAMNET for the keyboard and ADAMNet microSD Floppy Emulator. Most ADAM owners know that 99% of the time there is almost no power supply that can be connected to the ColecoVision that well be powerful enough to power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer (In the past one had to always use the DB9 power cord on the Coleco ADAM printer or third party ADAM power supply with the Expansion Module #3).

I need to do more testing but this Col USB appears to be one of the best ColecoVision power supplies on the market as long as one has a good quality USB-C cable and USB-C power supply to use with the Col USB. The Col USB ‘s small size and using state of the art surface mount components that was assembled in a robotic factory is what is attractive. Sure, a ATX style power supply with a CoelcoVision wire harness has more power, however a ATX power supply is even larger than the original ColecoVision power supply. I plan on doing more testing of the Col USB on a couple of more ColecoVisions. Might run all 3 ColecoVisions at the exact same time using 3 Col USB plugs to make sure everything is working fine. So far flying colors on this product over the last few days.

Edited by HDTV1080P

HDTV1080.... the ColUSB is not a power supply, it is an power adapter that lets one connect a USB style power supply/cable to the CV and converts the necessary voltages from the USB power supply/cable to what the CV needs (-5, +5, +12).

You say it powers the Adam? How? You are not supposed to have power connected to the CV when the EM#3 is connected. You have to connect power to the EM#3 Memory Cobsole's 9-pin power connector. I guess it's possible but the Data Drive (s) probably won't work.

HDTV1080.... the ColUSB is not a power supply, it is an power adapter that lets one connect a USB style power supply/cable to the CV and converts the necessary voltages from the USB power supply/cable to what the CV needs (-5, +5, +12).

You say it powers the Adam? How? You are not supposed to have power connected to the CV when the EM#3 is connected. You have to connect power to the EM#3 Memory Cobsole's 9-pin power connector. I guess it's possible but the Data Drive (s) probably won't work.

Yes you are correct the Col USB is not a power supply. I was calling it a “Col USB plug” in my post, however one time by mistake I briefly called it a power supply. What I was trying to say is the Col USB plug becomes a power supply solution as soon as one connects a USB power supply charger with cable (USB-C is what I am using). I also know the Col USB power plug converts +5 volts DC to -5, +5, and +12 volts DC because it’s a voltage converter and voltage regulator.

Regarding the ADAM computer, I disconnected the DB9 ADAM power supply from the ADAM memory console and connected the standard OEM ColecoVision power supply to the ColecoVision with Expansion Module #3 connected, and the standard OEM ColecoVision was not powerful enough to power the ADAM without having some color distortion. I then connected the Col USB plug to the ColecoVision using a 17 watt 3.4 amp power supply USB-C charger. The ADAM worked perfectly fine with perfect screen colors and graphics for the items that were connected to the ADAM computer at the time, and I even used the keyboard with File Manager and the MicroSD ADAMNET drive. However, you are correct about the Digital Data Drive. I just connected one up and the ColecoVision power supply solution is not powerful enough to power the Digital Data Drive. So this is not a ideal setup for people to use with items like the Digital Data Drive. Also keep in mind I am using a 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power supply, and those that are using 10 watt 2 amp USB power supplies are most likely not going to be able to power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer memory console.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

I connected another ColecoVision game console to the Col USB plug, and with a 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power supply and 5A gold plated USB-C cable everything worked fine. The Roller Controller worked with games like Slither. The Expansion Module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter worked fine. The Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer worked with the keyboard and MicroSD Floppy Emulator using the ColecoVision Col USB plug instead of a ADAM computer DB9 power supply (However not enough power to power things like the Digital Data Drive with the Col USB plug. Also, the Col USB plug was never designed to power the ADAM computer and there may be some hardware variations of the ColecoVision and Expansion Module #3 of the ADAM computer that would not work 100% correctly).

This ColecoVision has been running over 24 hours with no errors using a memory stress test with the Col USB plug attached to a 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C plug.

So far the Col USB plug has been working fine on a few different ColecoVision’s.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I received the two Colecovision USB Plugs, and tested them both.

I spent several hours with each, and both fit well and worked great (*).

I used the exact same 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power supply previously mentioned by HDTV1080P, and the exact same 5A USB-C cable as well so I can confirm that the combination has been awesome so far.

It worked with any peripherals I threw at it, but I do not yet have an Adam to test.

Kudos for a great quality product!

(*) I did have a few graphical glitches at first, but its the same glitches I had with the original power supply because when I wiggle the power port at all it occasionally happens. Most likely fixed with some solder, as that happens frequently with Colecovisions. Am I right to check that first? The power switch had previously been cleaned and seems solid.

• Like 1

I just came here to say that I just plug the USB-C into my televisions built-in USB input and have had no issues. No need to look for a wall adapter. Of course, if most of you are using old CRT monitors, you probably don't have a built-in USB input on your set. I also have a CRT that I've use with the Colecovision, but in that case I just plug the cable cable into one of my computer's USB ports that are right nearby. Just out of curiosity I ordered this cheap "Premium USB-C 3.1 Type C Data Sync Charging Cable + 5V 2A Wall Charger Adapter" for under $3 from Ebay to see if it works properly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-USB-C-3-1-Type-C-Data-Sync-Charging-Cable-5V-2A-Wall-Charger-Adapter/232239870694?hash=item36129332e6:m:m7NeaqSdeRwi7iRma2Ftzbw:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Just an update on the above adapter that I got off of eBay for $2.53. Forget it. It works but there is static interference on the screen while using the plug. The USB-C cable that is included is fine, and works well while connected to the Colecovision through another USB 5V source.

Edited by livingonwheels

Just an update on the above adapter that I got off of eBay for $2.53. Forget it. It works but there is static interference on the screen while using the plug. The USB-C cable that is included is fine, and works well while connected to the Colecovision through another USB 5V source.

The reason for the static interference is because that adapter is not FCC certified (no FCC logo). Also that adapter is old stock since it does not have the required energy efficiency level VI rating. For only $3.99 and free shipping from Amazon (3 pack for $11.99) you can get a 2 amp FCC certified charger that is also has the required energy efficiency rating of VI (Also UL listed). But you still need to purchase the USB A to USB C cable separate since it is not included.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Charger-FONKEN-universal-Compatible/dp/B07DCR29GN

Edited by HDTV1080P

I received the two Colecovision USB Plugs, and tested them both.
I spent several hours with each, and both fit well and worked great (*).
I used the exact same 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power supply previously mentioned by HDTV1080P, and the exact same 5A USB-C cable as well so I can confirm that the combination has been awesome so far.
It worked with any peripherals I threw at it, but I do not yet have an Adam to test.
Kudos for a great quality product!
(*) I did have a few graphical glitches at first, but its the same glitches I had with the original power supply because when I wiggle the power port at all it occasionally happens. Most likely fixed with some solder, as that happens frequently with Colecovisions. Am I right to check that first? The power switch had previously been cleaned and seems solid.

That top of the line Cable Matters 17 watt 3.4amp USB-C charger has just inflated in price. It use to cost $9.99 plus tax/shipping that ended up being around $11. However now that Cable Matters 17 watt 3.4amp USB-C charger on both the Cable Matters website and Amazon website is listed for $13.99. After taxes/shipping one is looking at paying around $15 now. I wish I would have purchased some more before the price increase occurred.

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-949-128-17w3a-usb-c-charger-combo-with-usb-a.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Charger-Combo-USB/dp/B076CTWY17/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548981036&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+matters+3.4amp

Edited by HDTV1080P

OK, I placed an order with dragonbox.de. About $41 euro shipped with the cheapest shipping option, which is about $47. I think this will be around the same shipped cost from Console5 once they have stock again.

My COLUSB arrived on my doorstep today. Eight days from placing the order to using it to power my Yurkie-modded CV. That's great service!

It works like a charm with an old 12W iPad charger and a cheap Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-A cable. This is using the Atarimax Ultimate SD multicart, which I assume draws a little more power than an average cart.

post-30018-0-29560600-1549063533_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I just connected one up and the ColecoVision power supply solution is not powerful enough to power the Digital Data Drive. So this is not a ideal setup for people to use with items like the Digital Data Drive.

I'm confused if you are saying the OEM CV PSU isn't sufficient, or the Coleco USB solution won't be enough. Actually, while I have you, if the CV has been 5V modded would the expansion module 3 still need the -5 and 12V rails?

Edited by towmater

I'm confused if you are saying the OEM CV PSU isn't sufficient, or the Coleco USB solution won't be enough. Actually, while I have you, if the CV has been 5V modded would the expansion module 3 still need the -5 and 12V rails?

Both are not sufficient enough to power the Digital Data Drive. The Col USB and the orignal ColecoVision power supply was never designed to power the ADAM computer. That is why there is a special DB9 style power supply for Expansion module #3 ADAM computer which powers the ColecoVision over the front expansion module interface instead of using the rear 4 prong ColecoVision power supply. Yes the ADAM computer still needs the -5 volt DC and 12 volt DC rails.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 weeks later...

My COLUSB arrived on my doorstep today. Eight days from placing the order to using it to power my Yurkie-modded CV. That's great service!

It works like a charm with an old 12W iPad charger and a cheap Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-A cable. This is using the Atarimax Ultimate SD multicart, which I assume draws a little more power than an average cart.

I got the same COLUSB adaptor through the door. Just before I try it out, I'd like to ask for some advice on the plug to use with it. The USB plug I have says the following:

INPUT 100-240V 0.3A 50/60Hz

OUTPUT 5.0V 1.8A

Is this plug okay with the adaptor? I'm based in the UK using an American Colecovision.

I got the same COLUSB adaptor through the door. Just before I try it out, I'd like to ask for some advice on the plug to use with it. The USB plug I have says the following:

INPUT 100-240V 0.3A 50/60Hz

OUTPUT 5.0V 1.8A

Is this plug okay with the adaptor? I'm based in the UK using an American Colecovision.

Right off the bat, I would say that you do not have enough amperage for consistent usage. That's fewer than 10W of power. I think that 12W is the minimum (5V x 2.4A PSU).

I'd give your 1.9A PSU a shot, as EvilDragon17 suggested.

I tried two different PSUs, both Apple-branded PSUs for the iPad. One is 2.0A, the other 2.4A. I assume that the latter came from the iPad 2 and former from an iPad mini.

I got flickering and glitches with the 2.0A PSU and no problems at all with the 2.4A PSU. I can't attest to the quality of Apple PSUs, but I assume that the quality is at least average (both are pretty old, however).

I'd give your 1.9A PSU a shot, as EvilDragon17 suggested.

I tried two different PSUs, both Apple-branded PSUs for the iPad. One is 2.0A, the other 2.4A. I assume that the latter came from the iPad 2 and former from an iPad mini.

I got flickering and glitches with the 2.0A PSU and no problems at all with the 2.4A PSU. I can't attest to the quality of Apple PSUs, but I assume that the quality is at least average (both are pretty old, however).

Maybe I will try my PSU (1.8A), but your experiments with the larger amperage PSUs don't fill me with much confidence. It does give the impression that I should be going for something above 2A.

The Col USB official documentation claims one needs a minimum of 2 amps which is 10 watts. Now some people use up to 3.4 amps 17 watts which is the maximum offered when using 5 volt USB-C power supplies.

In theory a 10 watt 2 amp USB-C power supply/charger should power everything connected to the ColecoVision including Expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter and the Opcode Super Game module, however some people have went with a 12 watt 2.4amp USB-C power supply, 15 watt 3 amp USB-C power supply, or even a 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power supply since they had some issues not getting enough power to their ColecoVision. There might be certain variations of the ColecoVision hardware that might need more then 2amps when external hardware devices are used. Also USB chargers age just like other power supplies, and a 2 amp model that is more then 5-10+ years old might only be putting out 1.5 amps since its getting old. Also some off brand USB chargers put out less than the stated specs.

One of the reasons I spent a extra $10+ on a USB-C power supply and cable that offered 17 watt 3.4 amps of power, is because I knew I would have enough power to power about anything connected and also when power supplies age they give out less then the stated specs sometimes. So 10 years from now instead of getting up to 3.4 amps I might only get 2.4 amps or 2 amps out of the power supply. The Col USB plug is not going to draw anymore power then what the ColecoVision game system needs.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 2

I've found another USB plug that is 5V 2.1A. Sounds like it would be good enough?

In theory that should be good enough. You also need a USB-C male to USB-C male cable if using a USB-C adapter. If using a USB-A adapter you need a USB-A male to USB-C male adapter cable. Also make sure the cable can handle 5a, 3a, or at least the minimum amps that you plan on using.

If the USB adapter you own does not work out. I would purchase a 3.4 amp or 3 amp model with the type of UK plug built into the charger that you need.