IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

Don't forget the cable! A cheap, thin USB cable has a higher resistance and causes a voltage loss. The higher the needed power is, the higher the voltage loss.

So even 3A power supply won't help if the loss of the cable is too high.

The longer and thinner the cable, the more loss. So thin and thick cables should usually work better.

In your prior post you had a typo in the last sentence. You were trying to say shorter length cables and thicker cables have less of a voltage loss.

Looking at the specs on a USB-C cable the 5a 100 watts cables are the thickest, and then the 3a USB-C cables are the second thickest. Of course I have seen some 30 gauge and 26 gauge USB cables that claim 5a capacity by using special manufacturing techniques. It appears 24 gauge is the thickest USB cable currently on the market. If they every start making USB cables that offer more then 5a x 20v at 100 watts, then either the gauge of the cable is going to need to be changed to 22 gauge, 20 gauge , or 18 gauge or someone is going to need to invent room temperature super conductor technology that offers zero resistance with a 40 gauge cable pushing 10,000 watts.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I tried the 5V 2.1A Power Supply on my CV and it didn't work. I could see really fuzzy images but it just didn't come through. I tried the 5A 1.8A power plug...and it worked! Sometimes when pushing on, it doesn't produce anything, but the vast majority of the time, it does and it's stable. I used the Atarimax SD flash cart on it and it worked fine. I then plugged in the Atari expansion module and it fired up Combat and other games, though when I used it with the old "Cuttle Cart" flash cart, it didn't work.

So there we go- it's not all about amps, but I need someone to recommend me a British plug with higher Amperage that works with the Coleco when using this adaptor. Yes I've got mine working, but I think 1.8A is still cutting it a bit fine.

It actually is all about amps. The problem is some supplies are overrated and don't actually put out what they claim. Likewise, some good supplies can go a little above what they claim.

If you want to actually check, you can get a USB tester for about $10 on amazon. It checks the voltage to see how close to 5v it is (some cheap supplies are not regulated well and put out too much voltage) and the current draw of the connected device.

Also, if it has multiple charge ports, each individual port could only be capable of a fraction of the total. "Yeah, the unit is 3A capable, but the 3 ports max out at 1A each". That's another favorite way to scam people.

Look for an OEM charger for major brand phones or tablets, and hard pass on the no-name discount brands. Also try not to get roped by the counterfeit stuff. If the price is too low, it's probably not the real thing.

Yes, the big brand chargers will surely be better, as I seem to have found out with the tests I did on Friday. So, anybody got any suggestions? Anybody on here recommend one, especially if you are using it for the same reason as I am?

I use these all day long.

UL Certified USB Wall Charger,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCR29GN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a good one to consider.. Each port is 3A. I ordered one for the heck of it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JY1JH5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_RGXCCb497M722

That does look quite good, yeah. I'm in the UK, and I've found this one on sale in the .co.uk store:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Syncwire-Wall-Charger-Interchangeable/dp/B072XD4CSP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1551088230&sr=8-5&keywords=syncwire+charger

It's black and has a british 3 prong socket, but appears to be the same as the one you have linked to. Do you agree they are basically the same?

Edit: I see that Syncwire products are made in China. That does make me a bit more cynical I admit :P

Edited by Spector

Why don't you buy the one Coleco Joe recommended and use an adapter for the plug?

Because the seller doesn't ship to the UK. Here again is the British amazon listing I mentioned in my previous post:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Syncwire-Wall-Charger-Interchangeable/dp/B072XD4CSP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1551088230&sr=8-5&keywords=syncwire+charger

Do you think this plug is the same as the one colecojoe listed from America?

• Like 1

Because the seller doesn't ship to the UK. Here again is the British amazon listing I mentioned in my previous post:

Do you think this plug is the same as the one colecojoe listed from America?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-TurboPower-QC3-0-Charger-Retail/dp/B07N7KN5P9/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1551112543&sr=8-16&keywords=UL+Certified+USB+Wall+Charger

detachable USB-A 2.0 to USB-C cable Specifications: Input- 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.5A Output- 5V/3A

• 1 year later...

Is Dragonbox the ONLY place to order the COLUSB online these days?  While the price is around $40 USD converted, their shipping to the USA is only via FedEx or UPS, which costs $40 on its own!!!  WTH.  Then I still need to get a USB-C charger as I have zero USB-C devices, so no existing cable.  Deutsche Post apparently will not handle international air deliveries due to a lack of flights as of March 27, so I'd have to wait until who knows when for that to resume.

Meanwhile I was perusing eBay, and saw you know who @HDTV1080P no longer hawking them for a price I won't even mention.  Instead, in addition to his PC PSU conversions, he's got this thing for sale now.  I'm kinda surprised he hasn't posted about it here yet.  It seems to use a generic laptop AC adapter fitted with a homemade adapter to the CV power jack.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm mildly interested but also a bit leery about using something homemade like that for power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28-5-watt-ColecoVision-compatible-power-supply-The-best-quality-PS-every-made/114258620533?hash=item1a9a583075:g:7gUAAOSwOkle5c47

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Is Dragonbox the ONLY place to order the COLUSB online these days?  While the price is around $40 USD converted, their shipping to the USA is only via FedEx or UPS, which costs $40 on its own!!!  WTH.  Then I still need to get a USB-C charger as I have zero USB-C devices, so no existing cable.  Deutsche Post apparently will not handle international air deliveries due to a lack of flights as of March 27, so I'd have to wait until who knows when for that to resume.

Do you mean selling at all, or just in stock?

Console5 is an American seller but is out of stock. Good store - very good customer service.

https://console5.com/store/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision-colecoplug.html

All of console5's coleco stuff:

https://console5.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=coleco

4 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Meanwhile I was perusing eBay, and saw you know who @HDTV1080P no longer hawking them for a price I won't even mention.  Instead, in addition to his PC PSU conversions, he's got this thing for sale now.  I'm kinda surprised he hasn't posted about it here yet.  It seems to use a generic laptop AC adapter fitted with a homemade adapter to the CV power jack.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm mildly interested but also a bit leery about using something homemade like that for power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28-5-watt-ColecoVision-compatible-power-supply-The-best-quality-PS-every-made/114258620533?hash=item1a9a583075:g:7gUAAOSwOkle5c47

s-l1600.jpg

The ColecoVision 17 Watt 3.4 amp USB Power Supply kit that has sold on EBAY for around $84.99, is a great product for those that want a USB power supply solution for their ColecoVision system. However, on June 12th a much better quality ColecoVision Power supply solution was released on the market and it sales for only $49.99 on EBAY. Mean Well engineered the power supply and the power supply was made in Taiwan.  Click the following link for more details.

28.5 watt ColecoVision compatible power supply (The best quality PS every made for the ColecoVision)

There are Amazon and EBAY dealers that would like to offer both the Col USB solution and the new 28.5 watt ColecoVision Power Supply solution. In the ideal world ColecoVision owners should have two choices in power supplies to choose from, however recently there has been some issues with getting the Col USB in large QTY ‘s into the United States. Therefore the Col USB adapter is currently not available from any USA dealers and needs to be imported into the United States from Dragonbox website directly until supplies last.   

Edited by HDTV1080P

1 hour ago, H454 said:

Console5 is an American seller but is out of stock. Good store - very good customer service.

https://console5.com/store/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision-colecoplug.html

Console5 have no plans to restock, and I think ditto Stone Age Gamer.

10 hours ago, H454 said:

Be advised that Console5 will not be restocking these and does NOT plan to offer the ColUSB through their store in the future.

Having said that, I did order one of these new supplies off the 'Bay and will give a go. I don't mind the detachable cable on it as it means I can more easily fashion other adapters in the future if needed from this same supply. Similar to the wire harness adapters I made for the 7800 so you can use Sega Genesis or SMS power supplies on the 7800 without modification to the system.

59 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Having said that, I did order one of these new supplies off the 'Bay and will give a go. I don't mind the detachable cable on it as it means I can more easily fashion other adapters in the future if needed from this same supply. Similar to the wire harness adapters I made for the 7800 so you can use Sega Genesis or SMS power supplies on the 7800 without modification to the system.

Please let us know your thoughts, as I'm leaning more towards this "new" one over the COLUSB importing.

23 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Please let us know your thoughts, as I'm leaning more towards this "new" one over the COLUSB importing.

Well, I have another post elsewhere, but my ColUSB fried itself when I used an Apple iPad charger to power it up. Seems the iPad charge has both a 12V and 5v mode on it and it requires a device to be smart enough to tell it to only provide 5v else it will shoot over 12v. So what happened in my case was that my setup was fine while it was plugged in and in use. But once I shutoff the Colecovision and unplugged the ColUSB from the back of it, but did NOT unplug the iPad charger going into it, it built up a ton of heat on the internal regulators inside the ColUSB (Enough to warp the plastic housing) and fried. Plugging it in only produces +12 from the ColUSB now. Dragonbox has offered to look at it and possibly replace it but as you noted, the shipping is crazy costing nearly the same as the item itself so, for now I will hold off on sending it back to them and see what this newer supply solution is like. 

I will likely use it as part of my bench supply setup since it is small enough to not take up too much space. That is what my ColUSB was for was for bench testing supply use instead of keeping one of the large CV bricks on hand.

57 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, I have another post elsewhere, but my ColUSB fried itself when I used an Apple iPad charger to power it up. Seems the iPad charge has both a 12V and 5v mode on it and it requires a device to be smart enough to tell it to only provide 5v else it will shoot over 12v. So what happened in my case was that my setup was fine while it was plugged in and in use. But once I shutoff the Colecovision and unplugged the ColUSB from the back of it, but did NOT unplug the iPad charger going into it, it built up a ton of heat on the internal regulators inside the ColUSB (Enough to warp the plastic housing) and fried. Plugging it in only produces +12 from the ColUSB now. Dragonbox has offered to look at it and possibly replace it but as you noted, the shipping is crazy costing nearly the same as the item itself so, for now I will hold off on sending it back to them and see what this newer supply solution is like. 

I will likely use it as part of my bench supply setup since it is small enough to not take up too much space. That is what my ColUSB was for was for bench testing supply use instead of keeping one of the large CV bricks on hand.

I saw your post.  That sounds like what's happened to peoples TurboGrafx Mini.  Never a good idea to use a modern phone charging brick for that reason.  I'm not in a rush, my original brick still works but it's flaky. 

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, I have another post elsewhere, but my ColUSB fried itself when I used an Apple iPad charger to power it up. Seems the iPad charge has both a 12V and 5v mode on it and it requires a device to be smart enough to tell it to only provide 5v else it will shoot over 12v.

If that's the case, the iPad charger violates the USB standard.  A USB device must NEVER send more than +5V until the connected device negotiates for more.  It also must be limited to some maximum amperage (originally 500mA, but I'm pretty sure that's been increased) until the device (and the cord also needs to support it) negotiates for more.

You should make sure your iPad charger is legit and not counterfeit.  Even if it is, it may be malfunctioning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

If that's the case, the iPad charger violates the USB standard.  A USB device must NEVER send more than +5V until the connected device negotiates for more.  It also must be limited to some maximum amperage (originally 500mA, but I'm pretty sure that's been increased) until the device (and the cord also needs to support it) negotiates for more.

You should make sure your iPad charger is legit and not counterfeit.  Even if it is, it may be malfunctioning.

Brand new iPad charger that came directly out of the iPad box. I just know that I had used it in the past without any issues but this one time, I left it plugged into the ColUSB but didn't have the ColUSB plugged into the CV just sitting there. Went back to it a few hours later and noticed the ColUSB was very warm to the touch and the plastic housing has begun to warp apart on it. Unplugged it and let it cool off which mostly brought the plastic back into shape again. Then plugged it into a parts donor CV to test with it and measured the voltages from the back of the input connector. Only the +12 was coming through on the ColUSB. Advised the guys that make it and they told me that my 12watt iPad charger was too much for it without a load and likely killed it. They also made mention about their warning on the small manual to always unplug your power source from the ColUSB when you aren't using it but it doesn't specifically state why.

So I agree with you that the amount of current and voltage shouldn't have been more than the device required. Physically everything on it looks fine but it heats up very quickly if you plug it in to use it so something nuked internally on the ColUSB causing an internal short somewhere. It does have about 3 small SMD VRs on it if I remember to control the various voltage ouputs to the CV. Both the -5 and +5 were dead on mine and again only the +12 works on it. My guess is that is the +12 from the iPad charger being passed through the device or that is the only regulator actually still working and the two burned out.