IGNORED

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

PkK

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Advised the guys that make it and they told me that my 12watt iPad charger was too much for it without a load and likely killed it. They also made mention about their warning on the small manual to always unplug your power source from the ColUSB when you aren't using it but it doesn't specifically state why.

Okay, "Without a load".  Yeah, power supplies built as current delivery sources tend to croak without a load.  In electronics lab, there was a type of power supply that we were told not to operate at all without a load on it.  At least place a resistor across the outputs before you turn it on.  I wonder what this device uses?  I guess I could disassemble mine and note the chips.

48 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

Okay, "Without a load".  Yeah, power supplies built as current delivery sources tend to croak without a load.  In electronics lab, there was a type of power supply that we were told not to operate at all without a load on it.  At least place a resistor across the outputs before you turn it on.  I wonder what this device uses?  I guess I could disassemble mine and note the chips.

Chips on what? The ColUSB? Not much there as I recall. Some capacitors for filtering and I think 3 SMD VRs. Likely for the +5,-5, and +12v for the CV. Likely some other stuff there as well but not a whole lot to it. They are very easy to open as the two plastic halves are just snapped together and will come apart easily. Or at least mine do.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Chips on what? The ColUSB?

Yeah that's what I meant.

TPS630701 buck-boost and LMR64010 simple switcher are the power chips on the top side.  The TPS630701 goes into power save mode with low load current and can take input voltages as high as 16V, so it should not die so easily  It's probably the +5V generator.  The LMR64010 can take input voltages as high as 14V.  It's probably the 12V generator.

The one on the back reads NUB 83F S57J  I can't find anything about this, but it's probably the negative voltage converter.

But that means it's not immediately apparent what went wrong.  Neither of them list issues that come from no-load situations, and even if the USB throws 12V, both of the identified converters can take it.

Maybe it's an ESD issue?

This is why some EBAY and Amazon dealers only sold the Col USB adapter bundled with a high-end cable and charger. Some USB chargers can push up to 100 watts by doing 20 volts at 5 amps if there is a malfunction in the communication data stream.  There are problems using the Col USB with certain USB chargers and cables. The best solution was the 17 Watt 3.4 amp USB power supply solution that has zero heat to the Col USB plug when there is no load. Also a small amount of normal heat with a load.

Now there is an issue with ordering the Col USB from Germany and not seeing the product show up when placing a large order. That is one of the reasons consumers cannot purchase the Col USB from any USA dealer since they cannot get large QTY’s imported into the USA. It would have been ideal to give consumers a choice of two different ColecoVision Power Supplies to choose from. The only advantage of the Col USB plug is its attractive modern look of being able to use USB for power. However, there are much better higher quality power supplies to use for the ColecoVision using the old fashion custom 4 pin plug that first appeared on the T-99 computers and ColecoVision in the early 1980’s.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 months later...

I received the 28 watt Mean Well power supply a few days ago. I've spent a few hours playing CV and I have to say, My CV has never worked so well. It has not displayed one graphic glitch since using this power supply. The properly made plug goes right into the CV nice and snug.

I can not say the same for my COLUSB. With the COLUSB I would still get glitches in graphics now and then. It had me believing my carts were dirty or the cart slot needed cleaning. I even purchased the power supply and cable for it recommended in another thread here at AA. My COLUSB is very loose on the pins in the CV. I think that poor connection may be the reason it never worked all that well.

Anyway, very happy with this new power supply. So far it's flawless.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, Charlie_ said:

Anyway, very happy with this new power supply. So far it's flawless.

And is it cheaper cost wise but a little to boot. One nice thing about the ColUSB was the small size and versatility of it. But this one seems to provide the correct power and current requirements more on spec and unlike the original PSU Colecovision Brick...it doesn't take up half a power strip in the process to use it!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 3:10 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

And is it cheaper cost wise but a little to boot. One nice thing about the ColUSB was the small size and versatility of it. But this one seems to provide the correct power and current requirements more on spec and unlike the original PSU Colecovision Brick...it doesn't take up half a power strip in the process to use it!

The power and current are less in spec on the ColUSB? Hadn't heard that before...

56 minutes ago, Lil Alien said:

The power and current are less in spec on the ColUSB? Hadn't heard that before...

I had heard elsewhere that the ColUSB power was a tad on the low side from what the original PSU provides. Then again, I had my ColUSB die on me when I left it plugged into an apple iPad charger and didn't have it plugged into the CV. So no, I don't have much like for the ColUSB these days and the fact that it would cost me more to get a replacement than one of these newer supplies does.

4 hours ago, Lil Alien said:

All of that depends on what USB charger and cable you use with it.  There are so many variables.  I think when used as intended, with power supplies and cables within the same specs to which is was designed around, the ColUSB would work perfectly.  With the meanwell, you're getting all of that right off the bat.  You know the specs and you know they'll work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mingus said:

All of that depends on what USB charger and cable you use with it.  There are so many variables.  I think when used as intended, with power supplies and cables within the same specs to which is was designed around, the ColUSB would work perfectly.  With the meanwell, you're getting all of that right off the bat.  You know the specs and you know they'll work!

I had the right cable and charger for the Colusb and it was inadequate. The mean well and adapter cable for the Coleco is superior. 

I had the right cable and charger for the Colusb and it was inadequate. The mean well and adapter cable for the Coleco is superior. 
I didn't mean to imply you were using the wrong gear...simply that there are too many variables with that setup. I don't know why they wouldn't have included the cable and adapter with it....one they could thoroughly test and garauntee works!

I don't have the meanwell, but I have no doubt it's superior!

3 minutes ago, mingus said:

I didn't mean to imply you were using the wrong gear...simply that there are too many variables with that setup. I don't know why they wouldn't have included the cable and adapter with it....one they could thoroughly test and garauntee work

I don't have the meanwell, but I have no doubt it's superior!

I understand. I purchased the supply and wire recommended in another thread. I thought it was good until it seemed the connection was too loose. I think that might be a big problem with colusb. The connection on the pins just isnt good. I was still getting glitches that seemed to go away once the system warmed up. With the mean well supply I no longer get glitches. Here is the thread I purchased the recommended supply and wire.

The 17 watt 3.4 amp power supply and high-end gold plated USB-C cable parts mentioned in that thread is the best solution to use for the COL USB plug. However, the 28.5 watt Mean Well ColecoVision power supply solution is the best.

The only advantage of the COL USB is for people that want to use USB power on the ColecoVision

Edited by HDTV1080P

12 hours ago, Charlie_ said:

I understand. I purchased the supply and wire recommended in another thread. I thought it was good until it seemed the connection was too loose. I think that might be a big problem with colusb. The connection on the pins just isnt good. I was still getting glitches that seemed to go away once the system warmed up. With the mean well supply I no longer get glitches. Here is the thread I purchased the recommended supply and wire.

I agree that the ColUSB seems very loose in my system too and I get some graphical issues if I don't make sure to push it in right before I play. I mostly use my Phoenix now but would like to get a Meanwell, just the shipping to Canada and the crappy conversion makes it tough.

12 hours ago, Charlie_ said:

I bought two of them when they were initially available and have yet to use either one - and at this point I don't plan on it.

10 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

The 17 watt 3.4 amp power supply and high-end gold plated USB-C cable parts mentioned in that thread is the best solution to use for the COL USB plug. However, the 28.5 watt Mean Well ColecoVision power supply solution is the best.

The only advantage of the COL USB is for people that want to use USB power on the ColecoVision

Is it really any advantage when the system doesn't work properly, displaying glitches and sitting loose in the socket?

I don't think so. Maybe it would work as intended if it grabbed those pins in the console better.

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for this new Mean Well supply. I just know it works really well. Previously the COLUSB had me cleaning and blowing in my carts all the time. I was even thinking my AtariMAX was going bad.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, Charlie_ said:

Is it really any advantage when the system doesn't work properly, displaying glitches and sitting loose in the socket?

I don't think so. Maybe it would work as intended if it grabbed those pins in the console better.

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for this new Mean Well supply. I just know it works really well. Previously the COLUSB had me cleaning and blowing in my carts all the time. I was even thinking my AtariMAX was going bad.

What is this Mean Well power supply? Do you have a link please?

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say I've bought a ColUsb and I'm powering it up with a Xiaomi 2A charger and a 2 meter USB C cable I had lying around.

So far so good... everything works just fine no issue whatsoever.

Only thing of notice: they say to unplug USB when not in use, so I comply (but the same I do with the original power supply).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 2:01 AM, sprazzi said:

Just to say I've bought a ColUsb and I'm powering it up with a Xiaomi 2A charger and a 2 meter USB C cable I had lying around.

So far so good... everything works just fine no issue whatsoever.

Only thing of notice: they say to unplug USB when not in use, so I comply (but the same I do with the original power supply).

Yes. It sounds like the ColUSB can overheat and get damaged if plugged in constantly for many hours.