PkK

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

The Col USB official documentation claims one needs a minimum of 2 amps which is 10 watts. Now some people use up to 3.4 amps 17 watts which is the maximum offered when using 5 volt USB-C power supplies.

In theory a 10 watt 2 amp USB-C power supply/charger should power everything connected to the ColecoVision including Expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter and the Opcode Super Game module, however some people have went with a 12 watt 2.4amp USB-C power supply, 15 watt 3 amp USB-C power supply, or even a 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C power supply since they had some issues not getting enough power to their ColecoVision. There might be certain variations of the ColecoVision hardware that might need more then 2amps when external hardware devices are used. Also USB chargers age just like other power supplies, and a 2 amp model that is more then 5-10+ years old might only be putting out 1.5 amps since its getting old. Also some off brand USB chargers put out less than the stated specs.

One of the reasons I spent a extra $10+ on a USB-C power supply and cable that offered 17 watt 3.4 amps of power, is because I knew I would have enough power to power about anything connected and also when power supplies age they give out less then the stated specs sometimes. So 10 years from now instead of getting up to 3.4 amps I might only get 2.4 amps or 2 amps out of the power supply. The Col USB plug is not going to draw anymore power then what the ColecoVision game system needs.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 2

I've found another USB plug that is 5V 2.1A. Sounds like it would be good enough?

In theory that should be good enough. You also need a USB-C male to USB-C male cable if using a USB-C adapter. If using a USB-A adapter you need a USB-A male to USB-C male adapter cable. Also make sure the cable can handle 5a, 3a, or at least the minimum amps that you plan on using.

If the USB adapter you own does not work out. I would purchase a 3.4 amp or 3 amp model with the type of UK plug built into the charger that you need.

Don't forget the cable! A cheap, thin USB cable has a higher resistance and causes a voltage loss. The higher the needed power is, the higher the voltage loss.

So even 3A power supply won't help if the loss of the cable is too high.

The longer and thinner the cable, the more loss. So thin and thick cables should usually work better.

In your prior post you had a typo in the last sentence. You were trying to say shorter length cables and thicker cables have less of a voltage loss.

Looking at the specs on a USB-C cable the 5a 100 watts cables are the thickest, and then the 3a USB-C cables are the second thickest. Of course I have seen some 30 gauge and 26 gauge USB cables that claim 5a capacity by using special manufacturing techniques. It appears 24 gauge is the thickest USB cable currently on the market. If they every start making USB cables that offer more then 5a x 20v at 100 watts, then either the gauge of the cable is going to need to be changed to 22 gauge, 20 gauge , or 18 gauge or someone is going to need to invent room temperature super conductor technology that offers zero resistance with a 40 gauge cable pushing 10,000 watts.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I tried the 5V 2.1A Power Supply on my CV and it didn't work. I could see really fuzzy images but it just didn't come through. I tried the 5A 1.8A power plug...and it worked! Sometimes when pushing on, it doesn't produce anything, but the vast majority of the time, it does and it's stable. I used the Atarimax SD flash cart on it and it worked fine. I then plugged in the Atari expansion module and it fired up Combat and other games, though when I used it with the old "Cuttle Cart" flash cart, it didn't work.

So there we go- it's not all about amps, but I need someone to recommend me a British plug with higher Amperage that works with the Coleco when using this adaptor. Yes I've got mine working, but I think 1.8A is still cutting it a bit fine.

It actually is all about amps. The problem is some supplies are overrated and don't actually put out what they claim. Likewise, some good supplies can go a little above what they claim.

If you want to actually check, you can get a USB tester for about $10 on amazon. It checks the voltage to see how close to 5v it is (some cheap supplies are not regulated well and put out too much voltage) and the current draw of the connected device.

Also, if it has multiple charge ports, each individual port could only be capable of a fraction of the total. "Yeah, the unit is 3A capable, but the 3 ports max out at 1A each". That's another favorite way to scam people.

Look for an OEM charger for major brand phones or tablets, and hard pass on the no-name discount brands. Also try not to get roped by the counterfeit stuff. If the price is too low, it's probably not the real thing.

Yes, the big brand chargers will surely be better, as I seem to have found out with the tests I did on Friday. So, anybody got any suggestions? Anybody on here recommend one, especially if you are using it for the same reason as I am?

Yes, the big brand chargers will surely be better, as I seem to have found out with the tests I did on Friday. So, anybody got any suggestions? Anybody on here recommend one, especially if you are using it for the same reason as I am?

I use these all day long.

UL Certified USB Wall Charger,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCR29GN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a good one to consider.. Each port is 3A. I ordered one for the heck of it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JY1JH5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_RGXCCb497M722

That does look quite good, yeah. I'm in the UK, and I've found this one on sale in the .co.uk store:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Syncwire-Wall-Charger-Interchangeable/dp/B072XD4CSP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1551088230&sr=8-5&keywords=syncwire+charger

It's black and has a british 3 prong socket, but appears to be the same as the one you have linked to. Do you agree they are basically the same?

Edit: I see that Syncwire products are made in China. That does make me a bit more cynical I admit :P

Edited by Spector

Why don't you buy the one Coleco Joe recommended and use an adapter for the plug?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was in another country. I'm sure there is a UK equivalent for the one I posted. I still feel we're making this more complicated than it should be :)

Why don't you buy the one Coleco Joe recommended and use an adapter for the plug?

Because the seller doesn't ship to the UK. Here again is the British amazon listing I mentioned in my previous post:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Syncwire-Wall-Charger-Interchangeable/dp/B072XD4CSP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1551088230&sr=8-5&keywords=syncwire+charger

Do you think this plug is the same as the one colecojoe listed from America?

• Like 1

Because the seller doesn't ship to the UK. Here again is the British amazon listing I mentioned in my previous post:

Do you think this plug is the same as the one colecojoe listed from America?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-TurboPower-QC3-0-Charger-Retail/dp/B07N7KN5P9/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1551112543&sr=8-16&keywords=UL+Certified+USB+Wall+Charger

detachable USB-A 2.0 to USB-C cable Specifications: Input- 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.5A Output- 5V/3A