IGNORED

Recommended Joystick ?

Shift838

Got all my arcade joystick parts in today and I put one together for less than $25.00 US.

I decided to make just an atari extension cable and use a male 9 pin on the joystick too so I can if I want move it and use it on my Raspberry Pi Emulation station too..

• Cost of the Joystick and 2 buttons (I only used one) was $17.00 US
  • Had some 9 conductor wire already (only need 6)
  • Had the connectors on hand
  • bought a small box enclosure for $3.00 US that's Hinged and has a magnet to keep it closed.

Took about an hour. Hardest thing was lining the joystick shaft in the center of the 1/2 hole I drilled. The joystick is from Adafruit and so is the button.

Here some pics. I am going to paint it and put some rubber feet on it. But it works great.

You get that box from Jo-Ann Fabrics? That's what I did when I made a spinner several years ago. The nice thing is that the wood (presumably balsa or compressed sawdust) is soft enough that you can cut into it without needing a drill.

More recently, I made a spinner using a Sterilite container and the drive head from an old VCR. Works a lot better, although I had to load the bottom down with coins to give it weight.

I prefer my home grown sticks but if you're handy and can build an adapter I really like the pistol grip joysticks from the Bally Astrocade.

I'm a big fan of home-rolled sticks as well. I just finished doing a retrofit on a third party Sega Genesis gamepad that I'm pretty happy with. This version is just an experiment, the next step is going to be a perfboard+3D printed enclosure with tactile switches. This round was mainly to see if TI99 games felt "wrong" with a gamepad instead of a joystick. I hate to say it, but I actually kinda like the gamepad better and my stick is a custom-build with an arcade machine stick and button.

You get that box from Jo-Ann Fabrics? That's what I did when I made a spinner several years ago. The nice thing is that the wood (presumably balsa or compressed sawdust) is soft enough that you can cut into it without needing a drill.

More recently, I made a spinner using a Sterilite container and the drive head from an old VCR. Works a lot better, although I had to load the bottom down with coins to give it weight.

I actually got the box from HobbyLobby. Cheap and easy to work with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Definitely I love: "Suzo The Arcade Joystick" (I learned from a person in NL that they have a nickname "Rotterdammertjes" (a city in Netherlands))

See Min. 2.46 (for the Black and Beige version pictured):

Here is a video about TI joysticks I made some time ago:

(channel TI99 Videos on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7jwHlQfNTAKQ9WdKORAnpA)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

"wise from your gwave...."

The folks that have Slik Stiks- do you like them? I'm getting ready to get a joystick adapter and want something for longer than 5-minute game sessions. :)

i like the slick stick, but the last 2 sets new in box that I bought, neither worked. So I said screw it and made my own joystick.