IGNORED

Piet Mondrian V0.4 - demo in development

sometimes99er

Latest version 0.4

mondrianc.bin

- - - - -

I don't know if the most famous work by Piet Mondrian is his "Tableau 1"

image.png.caedef5d6a565605b70dbd75126d03aa.png

During late 1920 and 1921, Mondrian's paintings arrive at what is to casual observers their definitive and mature form. Thick black lines now separate the forms, which are larger and fewer in number, and more of the forms are left white. This was not the culmination of his artistic evolution, however. Although the refinements became subtler, Mondrian's work continued to evolve during his years in Paris.

In the 1921 paintings, many, though not all, of the black lines stop short at a seemingly arbitrary distance from the edge of the canvas although the divisions between the rectangular forms remain intact. Here, too, the rectangular forms remain mostly colored. As the years passed and Mondrian's work evolved further, he began extending all of the lines to the edges of the canvas, and he began to use fewer and fewer colored forms, favoring white instead.

An iconic source of inspiration for many like Yves Saint Laurent ...

220px-Mondriaanmode_door_Yves_St_Laurent

I took a look at the style for these types of paintings. Looks as if the black lines can easily be represented on the TI screen with a thickness of 4 pixels. Going for the multicolor mode (1979) is obvious and would fit perfectly, I could even add some high resolution sprites for a bit of text. One could choose bitmap mode (1981) with no vertical color limit, but still only the maximum 2 colors per 8 pixels horizontally. I chose standard graphic mode (going as far back as 1979 opposed to 1981 for bitmap). With a base 4 by 4 pixel design and only 2 colors in every 8 by 8 pixel character, it still complies - no clashes.

I'm sure it's not optimal, but I made a few routines bottom up. One for plotting a black "pixel" (4 by 4 pixels). The technique is like the one I used in this XB program. And then one for drawing lines and then I need one for filling boxes.

Edited by sometimes99er
Cartridge made V9938/58 friendly.
  • Like 3

Hi, how can I press Function-Quit (shown on the screen) on Classic99 ?

I have german keyboard...

Thanks for the like.

I always thought things were easier back in the day. But I learned that a TI is not always just a TI.

I once bought a german keyboard, but it was a bit difficult to use so I had to return it. ;)

A Mondrian keyboard should be perfect.

daskeyboard-4c-n-key-rollover.jpg

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

I generally find modern art rather cold and impersonal... There is definitely something visually pleasing in Mondrian's paintings, but in my view it seems best suited for a professional setting rather than a home. My most glaring exception is Miro however, with his playful and colorful themes...

• Like 2

There were a bunch of other ideas, but I think the last part, of this demo, will be just randomly generated paintings in a style of Mondrian. Had to come back to this a few times, until I figured out ways to do this. Like creating a maze, which also can have several different solutions. Now I'm working with 256 bytes of CPU memory only, so I stayed clear of methods requiring or performing best with larger memory areas. Of course there's always the option of using the VDP RAM.

I'm going for this one now. My canvas will be 64 by 44 "pixels" (larger than the 44 by 44 used previously). First layout is a random grid of black keypoints off the edges. I will go through each keypoint and draw lines from those. 2, 3 or 4 lines. Lines going all the way through the canvas should be possible then. 1 line only would have a line like sticking out into nowhere. Lines sticking out at the edges are okay though.

Once all that is working and things have been adjusted, I'll choose some spots to fill in with color.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

Got the random black lines going. Of course it looks incomplete without the colors. Adding colors will use flood fill. A fill can technically be more than half the screen, so, as with Minesweeper, I have to use VDP RAM for the stack of a recursive routine. I can go two ways: Use the 4 by 4 pixel plot system, or run through characters. I've started down the latter path.

:)

• Like 1