IGNORED

Power Button doesn't toggle 'off'

alanwatkins

So I just picked up another 5200 system, and it works fine, but the power button doesn't toggle off....meaning when I plug the power supply in, the system is off...it turns ON fine, but then the button won't turn it off. If I pull the power supply out and put it back it, it starts in the off position again. I read some info where the power button can get stuck, but mine doesn't appear to be stuck, I just can't turn the system off using the button. I thought about opening it up to clean the switch, but thought I'd see if anyone had any other advice first.

When you open it up, there is an ic below the switch. It can go bad and the symptom is that the system will either be on or off and not respond to the power button. This is likely in need of replacing. Don't hold me to it because I am going by memory but I think it is a 4013 chip.

B

Well, I got the button working...apparently it just needed to be cleaned - I'm not sure why pulling the power out and putting it back in always seemed to fix it, bu the button is fine. Of course now it doesn't play any games....it will take a 2600 adapter and play 2600 games through that, but no 5200 game works. I opened it up and re-seated all the chips...not sure what else to do with it - probably going to sell on Ebay for parts :(