IGNORED

Jaguar roms working in MAME?

adriano gt

I guess I don't follow the connection of it working in MAME because it's similar to an arcade game.

MAME is built to run arcade games. If someone made some type of Jaguar hook, I'd expect it to run Ultra Vortek & Raiden better than it runs Iron Solider.

@OP, any story on the screen shot or additional info?

That still doesn't make sense. Code is code.

That can perform differently running in a virtual box...

All the software we install in my line of work has two flavors, traditional OS & virtual. Although it's the same base program if you "swap" them, they'll boot but have significant stability issues. One set of code is optimized for traditional hardware, another for a host environment.

Because MAME is a virtual environment intended for running arcade games, it's not crazy to hypothesize it would emulate arcade style games better.

Relax. It was a thought. I never declared it was true or fact.

Your need to feel you always have to prove folks wrong in every thread is tiresome.

• Like 1

All the software we install in my line of work has two flavors, traditional OS & virtual. Although it's the same base program if you "swap" them, they'll boot but have significant stability issues. One set of code is optimized for traditional hardware, another for a host environment.

That is most likely disabling features (Hardware acceleration, audio, video options) than any actual code change in the source. You don't "compile for virtualization" when making apps - how they perform is down to the hypervisor.

In any case, I would assume that the Jaguar ROMs in MAME are running under an old version of VJ.

Do you think there are special opcodes only for "arcade style games" that MAME will somehow emulate better than non arcade style games? I'd like to hear your logic behind your thought.

People on here spouting total nonsense is tiresome.

I was thinking the opposite, that the emu itself was originally written primarily for 2D style arcade games.

I'm not a coder and neither are you to my knowledge. It was an idea.

Why do you frequent a forum where the fun is disussing ideas... then say nonsense. I understand if someone is saying, "this is fact" but it's wrong. Otherwise, it's tiresome. People come here for discussion. It honestly doesn't get a rise out of me, but baffles me a bit. I avoid places in real life and online I know will be full of folks and ideas that will annoy me. You seem draw to it here.

edit: grammar

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 2

@CJ, thanks. That makes sense. I'm on the hardware and software integration side versus the software development side so I'm not actually seeing the source code, just the impacts in both environments (standard vs virtual).

So it's likely just VJ inside of MAME. That's not as sexy as some specialized hook :P.

MAME is built to run arcade games. If someone made some type of Jaguar hook, I'd expect it to run Ultra Vortek & Raiden better than it runs Iron Solider.

@OP, any story on the screen shot or additional info?

MAME and MESS became one awhile ago. MAME now runs all the consoles and other machines that were in MESS.

• Like 2

MAME and MESS became one awhile ago. MAME now runs all the consoles and other machines that were in MESS.

Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure so I didn't chime in. So its definitely a version of VJ within MAME, CJ is right. (Could be PT, but I doubt it)

I remember having MESS before it was integrated into MAME and I remember on the MESS website they kept saying Atari Jaguar emulation was coming but it never came to fruitation.

Well there's a mystery solved. :)

Madman can you fact check this? Lol

• Like 1

That's pretty awesome. Your screenshot?

It's Ultra Vortek which is obviously a fighting game. Wonder if it's base code being similar to arcade titles has anything to do with it?

"Mess" is a project to emulate consoles that was a spinoff of Mame. It's since merged back with Mame, so Mame has the ability to emulate many different home consoles and computers.

• Like 1

Yes, the capture is on my pc ....

If you want, I can upload the archives here so that you can analyze them

You sound fun. You'll fit in perfect with the Jaguar sub forum. Stick around...

I was curious if that was something you ran across on Google images or experienced yourself.

In the past, it ran things vj wouldn't and vice versa.

That's interesting.

Thanks for the info on MESS all. I haven't dealt with MAME in a number of years.

• 2 months later...

To answer my own question, looks like Jaguar games running in MAME are running on the Co Jag builds. Via Virtual Jaguar site below.

Looks like it is the opposite of what was pitched above & VJ actually came out of the Co Jag MAME code (not vice versa). Sure there us more involved there. Just a general takeaway from this:

"The original source was based upon Aaron Giles CoJag driver from M.A.M.E. and used the Starscream 68000 emulator core. Since then Starscream has been replaced by the more portable Musashi 68000 core and lots of improvements and changes have obscured the underlying codes CoJag origins (to be fair, Mr. Raingeard had made quite a few changes from the CoJag driver before we got our hands on it)! The Musashi 68000 core has since been replaced with a heavily customized version of UAEs 68000 core."

So it has to do with Ultra Vortek being a Jaguar game that would run on Co Jag hardware or the 6800? Not it being code that is assembled similar to other 2D arcade games that MAME already runs & it just "works." My experience with the back end of MAME is extremely limited. I don't mind being wrong :). I just enjoy random facts & learning. Wanted to share with those interested, and it also overlaps with the current Co Jag thread going on.

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1

Do you also think about testing jaguar roms on mame?

Yes, it's on my list to eventually test multiple versions of VJ & Jag within MAME to go along with the VJ GIT & Project Tempest I've done so far. Hopefully we can get the Jaguar emulation compatibility list to go above 75%!