IGNORED

SIO to RS-232

Grimakis

Hi,

I don't yet have an Atari computer, but I do have an interest.

I want to get an idea of how difficult it will be to connect to my Lantronix.

Currently I have a Lantronix connected to my Apple IIe acting as a modem emulator. I can initiate telnet sessions and do file transfers, BBS, etc.

How can I accomplish the same thing on an Atari 8bit? Is there a SIO to RS-232 adapter? Back in the day, how would someone have connected a generic Hayes modem? I assume via rs232?

Best,

George

There are multiple devices to connect to RS-232. There's the Atari 850; the ICD PR: Connection; there are plans for homebrew converters using a MAX-232 chip; and if you have a 600xl (upgraded RAM), 800xl, 130xe, or a european 65xe / 800xe with ECI, then there's the ICD MIO or the CSS Black Box.

The latter two devices connect through the parallel bus; the first three are SIO devices. All are accessed through a device driver for the R: device (Atari's Central Input Output provides driver abstraction, so your software just has to be able to talk to the high level device; if the device drivers that then worry about the specific hardware you're using).

Do you know which method would work best with terminal emulation software?

I'm not familiar with specific programs on the Atari, but on the Apple I essentially tell the software which slot the "modem" is attached to. Similar concept?

Edited by Grimakis

On the Atari, most terminal software sends its I/O to the R: device without worrying about the type of connection, and just works (assuming the driver is properly written). Of course, the AT commands still have to be sent (and Hayes Compatible meant different things to different people back in the day...) The advantage of the MIO or Black Box is speed - the SIO RS232 solutions top out around 9600 (if you're lucky). However, they are increasingly rare and expensive. An Atariage user, MetalGuy66, did a run of "new" MIOs a number of years ago; he may still have some for sale (see: https://rasterline.com).

you can set software flow control on the terminal software and the lantronix.... the mio doesn't use hardware flow control without a special driver and in my experience when a reset occurs from the mio or computer you need to reload the driver unless things have changed.... firmware for mio needs an update...

an rverter works fine... but use a ramdisk with it for file transfers... that ensures no bottle-necking on the sio port, when you see how fast a disk drive or sio2sd can move data.. it seems silly the rs232 sio devices haven't been updated to those speeds yet

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Hi Grimakis, I have occasionally used my Atari for telneting as client as well as server using an rs-232 SIO2PC cable with A.P.E software from Atarimax.com.

I have my Atari 600xl 64kb set up for telnet, if you or anyone else would like to connect to it.

Telnet to markbrichardson.com on port 27

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 3