IGNORED

Dad and son in 1992 importing Super Nintendo games from Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtSEIPwv0Q

Hey guys! Wanted to share the latest video in my series "My Retro Life".

This one is mostly taken from footage at my 6th birthday party at McDonald's. It tells the story of how my Dad would often import Super Nintendo games from Japan before they hit store shelves in the US.

Hope you enjoy it.

- Tyler

• Like 7

So you and your dad were those people I would read about in Nintendo Power, who were SO UPSET that you couldn't read the text on your imported SFC games, and how you couldn't play them on your American SNES. Poor you, but you deserveit, for doing that evil importing!!

J/K, thanks for making the video. It's a pretty cool way to have experienced that era!

So you and your dad were those people I would read about in Nintendo Power, who were SO UPSET that you couldn't read the text on your imported SFC games, and how you couldn't play them on your American SNES. Poor you, but you deserveit, for doing that evil importing!!

J/K, thanks for making the video. It's a pretty cool way to have experienced that era!

Haha thanks man!

Your dad seemed super cool. Do you remember how you guys were able to play these on an American system?

We had a Honeybee adapter. This one!

honey_bee_super-magic_game_converter_car

• Like 1

Ahh the elusive SNES Honeybee. I always wanted one of those along with the NES style. It was only in the last 5 years roughly I got the NES one and it's so so useful, well it was until I got the Retron5, but I keep it around as that's a cheap piece of junk that won't last like the old NES that keeps on trucking. :D It's odd really. I have the Honeybee for NES, a N64 bypass cart too for Bangaioh and Sin&Punishment, and even the Freeloader 1.06 for JP/PAL games on my Gamecube. Yet the SNES stands alone, probably since even the SFC games are getting ridiculous now unlike the FC stuff.

Ahh the elusive SNES Honeybee. I always wanted one of those along with the NES style. It was only in the last 5 years roughly I got the NES one and it's so so useful, well it was until I got the Retron5, but I keep it around as that's a cheap piece of junk that won't last like the old NES that keeps on trucking. :D It's odd really. I have the Honeybee for NES, a N64 bypass cart too for Bangaioh and Sin&Punishment, and even the Freeloader 1.06 for JP/PAL games on my Gamecube. Yet the SNES stands alone, probably since even the SFC games are getting ridiculous now unlike the FC stuff.

You saying it was "elusive" made me look it up and WOW I had no idea it was a rare adapter. Pretty cool! So many years it was used.

Man, that footage of the McDonalds hit me with a nostalgia stick something fierce. Makes me miss those days actually, before I was an adult. And had to do adult things. C'est la vie.

Great video though, it was a fun watch!